Deer season?

  • Chuck Kichline
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 16, 2004
      Deer season is getting close, and I was wondering if anybody has
      hints on making a hammock look less like a deer to a hunter heading
      toward his blind at 5am?

      Maybe two big, red bicycle reflectors down at the foot of the
      hammock, and a couple of branches spread out for camouflage??
      ;-]

      Ups, I mean really.

      =====
      Chuck Kichline
      Austin, TX

      http://vote.yahoo.com
    • Banjo Doje
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 16, 2004
        Get yourself down to Wally World and buy a good sized piece of blaze
        orange material and stick it on your rainfly or attach it in some
        manner to your hammock. You will need blaze orange for sure!

        Jodi

        On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:05:25 -0700 (PDT), Chuck Kichline
        <chuck_kichline@...> wrote:

        > Deer season is getting close, and I was wondering if anybody has
        > hints on making a hammock look less like a deer to a hunter heading
        > toward his blind at 5am?
        >
        > Maybe two big, red bicycle reflectors down at the foot of the
        > hammock, and a couple of branches spread out for camouflage??
        > ;-]
        >
        > Ups, I mean really.
        >
        > =====
        > Chuck Kichline
        > Austin, TX

        Banjo Players Never Die, They Just Take A Break!
        Abnormality is the normality at this locality
      • Dan Chase
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 17, 2004
          Chuck,
          I use my hammocks up in my tree stands for naps during the middle of
          the day during deer season. Since the deer are more active at near
          dawn and dusk, I nap during the middle of the day. Four of my
          permanent tree stands on the family farm are good for hammocks. A
          slight breeze adds a very nice sway to the trees and hammock. I love
          being up between 15 to 25 feet above the ground in my hammocks.
          Being up that high eliminates any worry about the color of the
          hammock also. While on the ground, it is always best to use some
          blaze orange colors. It is a beautiful time of year to be in the
          woods with the leaves turning here in southern Indiana.
          Dan

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Chuck Kichline

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 18, 2004
            I think you want to wear blaze orange at all times, especially on
            those off trail, twi-light nature calls in the brush. An orange hat
            always seemed appropriate to me... of course it helps that one of my
            school colors is close to blaze orange. If you are worried about
            your hammock campsite, maybe you could tie a piece of blaze orange
            fabric (hat, pack cover, bandana?) to each end of your hammock
            straps/ropes.

            Youngblood

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Banjo Doje <bpskids@g...>
            wrote:
            > Get yourself down to Wally World and buy a good sized piece of blaze
            > orange material and stick it on your rainfly or attach it in some
            > manner to your hammock. You will need blaze orange for sure!
            >
            > Jodi
            >

            > On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:05:25 -0700 (PDT), Chuck Kichline
            > <chuck_kichline@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > Deer season is getting close, and I was wondering if anybody has
            > > hints on making a hammock look less like a deer to a hunter
            heading
            > > toward his blind at 5am?
            > >
            > > Maybe two big, red bicycle reflectors down at the foot of the
            > > hammock, and a couple of branches spread out for camouflage??
            > > ;-]
            > >
            > > Ups, I mean really.
            > >
            > > =====
            > > Chuck Kichline
            > > Austin, TX

            > --
            > Banjo Players Never Die, They Just Take A Break!
            > Abnormality is the normality at this locality
          • zippydooda
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 18, 2004
              Some orange flagging material could help too. I'd hang little
              streamers all over. And definitely wear a vest and hat, as someone
              else said.

              Bill in Houston

              <chuck_kichline@y...> wrote:
              > Deer season is getting close, and I was wondering if anybody has
              > hints on making a hammock look less like a deer to a hunter heading
              > toward his blind at 5am?
              >
              > Maybe two big, red bicycle reflectors down at the foot of the
              > hammock, and a couple of branches spread out for camouflage??
              > ;-]
              >
              > Ups, I mean really.
              >
              > =====
              > Chuck Kichline
              > Austin, TX

            • Craig Stephanski
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 18, 2004
                Why not set up a rack of antlers at one end of the hammock and a fuzzy little tail at the other end.......just kidding!!