cold weather hammock

  • atc2099
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 15, 2004
      Hey all,
      I went camoing with my scout troop last weekend at crooked creek.
      The boys were on the ground and I was in my hammock. I have a
      military jungle hammock with acanvas bottom, mesh sides and a nylon
      roof.(I sprayed the eniter hammock with a silicon sealer last fall.)
      I also use a blue polytarp as a rain fly. I usually stay warm enough,
      but a couple of times when I am packing up, the bottom of my sleeping
      bag is damp or even wet. and I know that it is not dew or rain. here
      is a descriptive cross-section of my set up.
      *blue poly tarp rain fly
      *hammock's nylon roof
      *sleeping bag
      *cheap blue pad with emergency blanket glued to the bottom
      *blue "neat sheet" pinned to bottom and one mesh side of hammock

      I need to be able to keep out the wind, buut let my breath
      condesation out. Any trouble shooting ideas would be most
      apperciated. Thank you

      Andrew
      Troop 359
    • Dylan Anderson
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 15, 2004
        Hey Andrew,
        You are asking about why your sleeping bag is wet
        right? It's because you have several non-breathable
        layers around you (emergency blanket, neat sheet, and
        the silicon coating on the bottom and roof), and as a
        result your sleeping bag is absorbing the sweat. On
        three sides (silicon roof and tarp up top, neat sheet
        on one side, neat sheet, emergency blanket, and more
        silicon on the bottom) you have no way for moisture to
        escape, therefor it collects in the sleeping bag
        insulation and drips through it down to the lowest
        points. It is for this reason that most of the
        hammockers do not silicon the bottom of their
        hammocks. Instead, a more breathable DWR treatment on
        bottoms, and the windblock on the side is usually a
        non-waterproof breathable nylon. Also, you might need
        to get more insulation between you and the emergency
        blanket, like a thin fleece layer, or something that
        will extend on either side of you and help wick the
        moisture away where it can evaporate off without
        cooling you directly.

        That's my 2 cents anyway, hope it helps!

        -Dylan Trip leader, Troop 41 :-)

        http://vote.yahoo.com