Re: sewing project

  • Matthew Takeda
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 13, 2004
      Bill Fornshell wrote:
      > >Hi Rick, I found some nice "Black Watch" looking 100%
      > >poly sort of light tartan at a local Hancock on sale
      > >for about $1.00 a yard. I bought it all. About 15
      > >yards I think. I plan to make a Great Kilt with it.

      Bill -

      I think you would find wool much more comfortable. It's both cooler in warm
      weather and warmer in cool weather than anything poly.

      Also, if it's 60" wide, you should only need about 5 yards for a great kilt.

      Rick wrote:
      >For fabric 48-60 in wide, I use two yards for a kilt that easily goes
      >around my 38-40 in waist. I cut it so that it is 24-30 in wide and sew
      >the two panels together so the piece is 4 yards long. Then I plan the
      >pleats and top stitch them so they will look like pleats forever.
      >Finally, I make the folds and sew them 3 inches down from the top.
      >Voila! Kilt.

      Rick -

      But that's NOT a great kilt, which is what Bill is making. Do you know what
      a great kilt is?

      Matthew Takeda
      the JOAT