[Hammock Camping] Re: Poly Tube - Down Air Mattress - Full Size Prototype Done

  • zippydooda
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 12, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Erika Sohn" <sohn@a...> wrote:

      > <snip>
      > I also finished sewing a "speer hammock"...It came out pretty
      > nice! The problem with it is that the edges are a bit high and when
      > I get in the hammock, it seems to swallow me...I can't look out into
      > the wilderness.
      > What can one do about that? (I was thinking on using
      > narrower fabric)

      The height of the edges using the Speer design is pretty sensitive to
      the way you fold/roll the ends. Post 6591 from last week has some
      info.

      I found this back at message 2095, from Ed Speer himself, replying to
      someone else's question:

      From: "Ed Speer" <info@s...>
      Date: Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:33 am
      Subject: RE: Hammock Camping Re: a couple questions

      Good question Matt--I have tried several different shapes, but stayed
      with the rectangular shape not only for simplicity, but also because
      it is a good compromise of comfort, weight, bulk & costs. I didn't
      find vast improvement in comfort with different shapes; however, I
      did find an unacceptable increase in the "falling-out" feeling with
      some shapes. Having droopy sides only works well if the hammock is
      much wider than 5'. Solid nylon fabrics, like my hammocks are made
      from, only come in manufactured widths of 5'; thus I use 'proud'
      sides to keep one from falling out. Basically I've found that
      comfort is most dependent on fabric, size and setup. Larger (longer
      &/or wider) hammocks can be more comfortable, but at the cost of
      greater weight, bulk and expense. Also remember that the longer the
      tie outs and the greater the unoccupied sag, the more comfort.
      Here's a trick to reduce the 'proud' sides: tie the end knots with
      less shortening of the top edges--for instance use 1" instead of 2"
      to pull the edges into the end knots. To summerrize: anyone who
      finds a Speer hammock has too much 'shoulder squeeze' might consider
      hanging it with longer tie outs and/or more sag--or they may need a
      longer one.

      Since my experiments are limited, I'd also love to hear from others
      who've tried different shapes or designs. Hope this helps some Matt--
      best of luck with your ideas and keep us informed...Ed