Re: [Hammock Camping] First weekend in a hammock

    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 11, 2004
      Chuck Kichline wrote:

      >I got to use my Clark for the first time this weekend. It got a lot
      >of attention, and the weather was mild enough to roll back the bug
      >screen and really see some stars COMFORTABLY.
      >
      >The first night I pitched it level, and found myself sliding
      >downward, but remembered the comment from last week about pitching
      >the feet slightly higher, and that worked the second night.
      >
      >Less comfortable was the feeling that my knees were being forced past
      >straight! I tightened up the pitch the second night and that seemed
      >to help a lot, but is there some other trick to taking the strain off
      >my knees?
      >
      >Took my worn-out 40 degree down bag, and even though it never got
      >below 60 the legs were thinking about being cold by morning - I don't
      >know if that's a feature of hammocking or a sign that I was stressing
      >my knees against the hammock all night.
      >
      >=====
      >Chuck Kichline
      >Austin, TX

      I find it useful to cross one leg over the other to avoid knee extension
      sensations. That way, one knee is supported for a while. I change
      positions about once an hour. I also cross my feet when sleeping on my
      side for the same reason. For one reason or another, this was more of a
      bother the first few times I used a hammock than it is now. This is
      also helpful to avoid pressure sensations on my heels.

      You did not mention using your bag as a quilt, so I suspect you used it
      like a sleeping bag. This is the least effective way to use insulation
      in a hammock. I sleep much warmer when I depend entirely on the pad at
      my back for insulation there and on the bag for insulation over me.
      When I am using a bag, I unzip it until it is open down to my mid
      thighs. I put my feet in the bag and arrange the upper part of the bag
      over me. When I turn, I keep the bag in its position over me. (I turn
      inside the bag.) Since my pad only is long enough to go from my
      shoulders to my hips (36 inches) for colder weather, I put some
      insulating material under my calves, between the layers of my hammock.
      This may be a jacket or rain suit. But, in general, the insulation of a
      down bag/quilt works pretty well under my legs, because my legs are
      supported by my heels and do not crush the down under them.

      Risk