Polyester webbing

  • Ed Speer <info@speerhammocks.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 20, 2003
      Bad news on the polyester webbing front--my efforts to secure a
      reliable source of suitable webbing have failed. The order I placed
      finally arrived weeks late, but it was the wrong webbing. After
      checking again with the supplier, I find that they were greatly
      misleading me about the breaking strength of the polyester webbing--
      it's not nearly as strong as I'd been led to believe; thus the
      lightweight 1" version is unsuitable for hammocks. The heavy weight
      1" version is strong enough (696 lbs), but is too heavy and bulky for
      most backpackers. I've checked 3 other major suppliers of webbing
      but they do not carry polyester. Thus I'm back to using the
      polypropylene again.

      Both nylon and polypro are strong enough, but they stretch under a
      load like a hammock user. Nylon's stretch is unsuitable for
      hammocks, while polypro's stretch is acceptable. The advantage of
      polyester that I was after, is it's lack of stretch and it's breaking
      strength similar to polypro. However, it is only 1/2 the strength of
      polypro--thus it is not suitable for hammock safety. I thought I had
      this all figured out and am quite upset with the salespeople who have
      been misquoting breaking strengths to me--I've now learned not to
      believe any salesman regarding breaking strength of their webbing.
      Most salesmen can look up the exact specs on their products, but
      seldom take the time to do so--instead they spit out a number just to
      impress the customer (ask them the same question several weeks later,
      and you get an entirely different answer).

      For those interested, I do have some heavy weight 1" polyester
      webbing with 696 lbs breaking strength and will sell cut lengths for
      $0.75/yd. This webbing is suitable for hammock users weighing over
      250 lbs (this is what I use on my stronger hammocks). For those
      weighing less than 250 lbs, the 600 lb, 1" polypropylene webbing is
      recommended (this is what I use on my basic hammocks). The 600 lb
      polypro webbing can be ordered from most outdoor fabric sources--but
      buyers beware since strengths can be as low as 110 lbs! Only 500-600
      lb webbing is recommended for hammocks....Ed
    • geoflyfisher <geoflyfisher@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 21, 2003
        > Bad news on the polyester webbing front--my efforts to secure a
        > reliable source of suitable webbing have failed.

        Too bad, Ed. It would have made a nice source.

        Can we pool our references about the various vendor's polypro
        webbing? I have found it is difficult to get the salesperson on the
        other end to give a real number when asked for the strength.

        As a first stab, I believe the following are strong enough (at the
        600 lb test) to be listed: (all are 1" width)

        Outdoor Wildnerness Fabrics:
        WP1H - black only (actually seems much stronger than necessary)
        Are WP1 or WP1T also good choices??

        Quest Outfitters Adventure Fabrics:
        #1023 - Are all colors strong enough??

        What other suppliers have webbing which would be a good choice in
        small (10 yard) orders??

        These ratings should not be taken as gospel, but as a starting point
        to discuss strength with the supplier.

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 23, 2003
          Message
          Rick, I've gotten such a runaround from so many different webbing-manufacturing salespeople that I am doubtful of most stated breaking strengths.  Quest and OWF are my sources of choice, as you noted, but the numbers they quote are supplied by the same untrustful salespeople as the ones I've encountered already--so Quest and OWF may also be unknowingly quoting wrong numbers.  And if they change sources or their sources change webbing without notifying them (which I suspect happens), then the customer still gets the wrong numbers.  For the time being, we can trust Kay & Betty (Quest & OWF), but it's csutomer be ware!  Yes, Rick different colors of the same webbing may have different breaking strengths (different colors are often made by different processes, not simply different dyes).  And of course, light weight, heavy weight and/or tight weave of the same webbing all have different breaking strengths.

          As you mentioned, choose at least 500-600 lb test breaking stength ploypropylene webbing--suspect any webbing until it has passed your own breaking strength tests (use it, if it dosen't break, it's probably ok).  The sources you list are suitable.  I would not use any polypro webbing sold with no breaking (or tensile) strength listed--it can be as low as 100 lbs.....Ed