[Hammock Camping] Re: Can you make an asym hammock

    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
      wrote:
      ...> Agreed, but some of the above forces me to ask a rude question.
      Have you
      > ever actually TRIED an asym hammock? Hennessey or no?
      >
      > Shane

      Yes, I used one extensively on backpacking trips for about a year.
      It was the Hennessy UtraLight Backpacker Asym, which was the first
      asym model that came out and the only asym model available at the
      time I purchased it.

      I believe we had discussions previously where we disagreed on a
      particular point and someone wisely pointed out that the hammock you
      were using was larger that the one I had and that might be why we saw
      details differently. I believe you use the Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
      A-Sym, which is a bit larger than the one I used. That might again
      explain some of the different opinions as well as the fact that I
      used the side pullouts with mine and you apparently do not. But then
      again, it is also possible that we see the same thing but judge it
      differently... such is life.

      Youngblood
    • ptoddf@aol.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
        On test hammocks, Risk has a great idea there. Thanks, Risk.

        Try this variation so you can try different gathers and bias ideas:

        Instead of an end knot, pass the gathered material on each end through a Home Depot welded steel ring, about 2" in diameter and 3/16" thick. Secure the material to itself with a split piece of black rubber hose and a standard stainless steel worm-gear hose clamp. Buy the hose, about 1 and 1/2 inch in diameter from the same store. You can buy 1 foot off the roll, cut this into about 2 1/2" segments and split them along oneside with a knife. Cut out 1/8" or so if the hose doesn't close tightly enough around the folded hammock end.

        This allows you to clamp and unclamp in minutes.

        WARNING!!! If this is not done right the material can slip through and you'll hit the ground! This happened to me the first time I tried it.

        Make sure the clamp is very tight, don't hang the hammock very high, and put a lounge chair pad on the ground underneath just in case.
        Better would be to sew a safety margin on the end of the material so it can't slip throught the clamp even if it slips. This is for design testing only!

        I learned a huge amount from doing different folding and rolling schemes,  including off-axis rolls and folds. There's nothing like lying in a hammock real time to figure out what's going on, and this method makes it possible. Small changes have large, non-obvious results.

        If this is not clear, speak up and I'll post pictures.

        Best, Todd in Tarzana.
      • zippydooda
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
          So, can you tell us what you learned? Especially on the off axis
          stuff...

          Bill in Houston

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ptoddf@a... wrote:
          > On test hammocks, Risk has a great idea there. Thanks, Risk.
          > <snip>
          > I learned a huge amount from doing different folding and rolling
          schemes,
          > including off-axis rolls and folds. There's nothing like lying in a
          hammock real
          > time to figure out what's going on, and this method makes it
          possible. Small
          > changes have large, non-obvious results.
          >
          > If this is not clear, speak up and I'll post pictures.
          >
          > Best, Todd in Tarzana.
        • Amy Skowronek
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
            On Oct 5, 2004, at 10:49 AM, Dave Womble wrote:

            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
            > wrote:
            > ...> Agreed, but some of the above forces me to ask a rude question.
            > Have you
            >> ever actually TRIED an asym hammock? Hennessey or no?
            >>
            >> Shane
            >
            > Yes, I used one extensively on backpacking trips for about a year.
            > It was the Hennessy UtraLight Backpacker Asym, which was the first
            > asym model that came out and the only asym model available at the
            > time I purchased it.

            I've used this model as well. I've slept in it for about a month total.

            I used the older non-asym ultralight backpacker on the trail for about
            a month, too.
            The big difference to me was that when I rolled over in the asym I
            didn't
            need to switch diagonals. I almost always sleep with a pad in the
            hammock
            so switching diagonals is a pain. It didn't feel roomier to me. (But
            I'm 5'4",
            so I had plenty of room to start with.)

            -amy
          • Ray Garlington
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "seuss910" <wrv77@y...> wrote:
              > Asymmetry was achieved with the cut of the hammock, not so much
              > with the fold. I started with a kind of squared off trapezoid,
              sewed
              > a soft webbing along the end hems for bulk, pleated the ends, and
              > then tied the hanging straps around the bunched ends.

              This is similar to what I did, but I used a shape more like a
              parallelogram, like so: http://tinyurl.com/62zmc

              I kept the bias of the cloth aligned with the support points (i.e.
              centerline of the hammock), since you don't want any stretch in that
              dimension. I got a moderate asym feel with a 3" cut on each side.
              I'd be tempted to go to about 6" for the next try.