RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: Can you make an asym hammock

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
      Dave:

      You can rock yourself if you bend one leg, point
      the knee skyward, then move the knee left to
      right. It almost feels like you're pushing your
      thigh against one side of the hammock, but of
      course, you're not. It's changing the center of
      gravity that's doing the rocking.

      Bear
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
        > > I don't think the asym characteristic is achieved by how one folds
        > > the ends of the hammock, I think it is achieved by the position of
        > > side pullouts.
        >
        > Actually it has to do with the bias of the cloth. Just moving the
        side
        > pullouts isn't the same thing.
        >
        > Shane

        How so? Don't the pullouts on the HH asym hammocks create the
        asymmetrical shape that gives these hammocks their name?

        Youngblood
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
          <dchinell@m...> wrote:
          > Dave:
          >
          > You can rock yourself if you bend one leg, point
          > the knee skyward, then move the knee left to
          > right. It almost feels like you're pushing your
          > thigh against one side of the hammock, but of
          > course, you're not. It's changing the center of
          > gravity that's doing the rocking.
          >
          > Bear

          Bear, agreed. But I haven't swung by repetively and synchronized
          shifting of my center of gravity since I was a few years younger on
          the school ground swing set. Its a skill I'm a little rusty at.

          Dave
        • Jerry Goller
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
            Message
            It also has to do with the characteristics of the fabric weave. It stretches more in one direction than the other.
            Jerry

            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
              Message
              Me, too...lol. And it is interesting that most of the negatives that you see in an asym, I see as positives. That's why we have more than one design and more than one manufacturer....   ;o)
              I also use mine almost exclusively in the mountains.
              Jerry

              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                Jerry,

                I am somewhat familiar with the stretch characteristics of woven
                fabric, to the extent that I understand that it stretches most on its
                bias and least on its warp. I believe the center line of the hammock
                bed is on the warp of the fabric and the weft is orthogonal (or 90
                degrees) to the warp with the bias being at a 45 degree angle to both
                the warp and the weft. And I can understand how that effects the
                feel or lay of the hammock if you lay on a diagonal to the center
                line of the hammock versus laying on the center line of the hammock.

                What I don't understand is Shane's or even your comment to my
                statement.

                I said: "I don't think the asym characteristic is achieved by how one
                folds the ends of the hammock, I think it is achieved by the position
                of side pullouts."

                Shane replied with: "Actually it has to do with the bias of the
                cloth. Just moving the side pullouts isn't the same thing."

                Jerry, you replied with: "It also has to do with the characteristics
                of the fabric weave. It stretches more in one direction than the
                other."

                I don't understand the comment, are we talking about the same think,
                the asym shape or are we talking about the lay of the hammock? I
                think one or some combination of us is confusing one thing with
                another. <grin>

                Youngblood
              • Shane Steinkamp
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                  > > Actually it has to do with the bias of the cloth.

                  > It also has to do with the characteristics of the fabric weave. It
                  > stretches more in one direction than the other.

                  Yeah... That's what bias means...

                  Shane
                • Shane Steinkamp
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                    > > > I don't think the asym characteristic is achieved by how one
                    > > > folds the ends of the hammock, I think it is achieved by the
                    > > > position of side pullouts.
                    > >
                    > > Actually it has to do with the bias of the cloth. Just moving the
                    > > side pullouts isn't the same thing.
                    >
                    > How so? Don't the pullouts on the HH asym hammocks create the
                    > asymmetrical shape that gives these hammocks their name?

                    Looking at it, you might assume so, but I don't use the pullouts and my
                    hammock is still asymmetrical. Folks who don't sew their own clothes rarely
                    understand, much less know about, fabric bias.

                    Essentially all fabric comes on a bolt. The nylon cloths used to make
                    hammocks is no different. You can't just cut a suit of clothes out of a
                    piece of fabric willy-nilly. You have to appreciate the bias of the cloth
                    so that the finished clothes hang right. Fabric has a weave. This weave
                    stretches very little across the grain in either direction, but along the
                    bias - 45 degrees off straight grain - there is a much greater stretch.

                    An asymmetrical hammock uses this to an advantage. It is NOT the same as
                    simply laying in a non-asym hammock at an angle. What's the difference?

                    Well, think about a piece of fabric that you're going to make a hammock out
                    of. Let's say that it's 4 by 8 feet. If we gather the small ends and tie
                    our ropes, this is a symmetrical hammock. The fabric will stretch very
                    little. The 'lay' of the hammock will be somewhere around six feet, and
                    will probably be comfortable. Instead of tying at the narrow ends, think
                    about tying at opposite corners. Now you have an asymmetrical hammock. The
                    'lay' of this hammock - made from the same size piece as the first one -
                    will be very nearly 8 feet or maybe a little more, and the 'lay' will be
                    MUCH flatter.

                    Of course, you can't just tie two corners like that... You have to cut the
                    piece in such a way that you can tie enough of it so that you get enough of
                    it tied into the rope so that it's strong enough. Tom doesn't actually have
                    this quite right. I think he's found a balance between weight and lay. If
                    he used a bit more material, the asym hammocks could be a little flatter.
                    The bug netting also has something to do with it, I think, but I haven't cut
                    one apart to actually see what his cut lines are. I built my first
                    asymmetrical hammock in about 1993 and it took me a few tries to figure it
                    out. Tom's design is solid.

                    None of this is to say that there's anything wrong with a non-asym hammock
                    that hangs along the fabric grain. I just think that it's important to
                    appreciate that there is a real difference in the two methods - and it has
                    nothing to do with the placement of the tieouts.

                    Shane
                  • Shane Steinkamp
                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                      > Without the associated side pullouts currently used to form an
                      > asymmetrical shape, I can gently rock in my hammock.

                      I can rock in my asym. Why shouldn't I be able to?

                      > I think the side pullouts used with the current asymmetrical
                      > hammocks are somewhat problematic for a side entry hammock and that
                      > is my preferred entry method.

                      Simply don't tie them. I never tie the pullouts...

                      > In my experience, the bottom entry method is
                      > more difficult to deal with when you need bottom side insulation and
                      > I usually need something for bottom side insulation since I mostly
                      > hammock camp in the mountains where night time temperatures require
                      > at least some insulation.

                      I use a 27" pad, and with the asym design, the edge of the pad is right at
                      the base of the slit. This is perfect. I sit on the pad right where I need
                      to be. The slit is never an issue. It IS an issue in a non-asym hammock if
                      there is a bottom slit.

                      > There is not anything preventing a person from laying diagonal in a
                      > well designed hammock that doesn't have an asymmetrical shape.

                      But it's NOT the same thing.

                      > can lay diagonal to the left, diagonal to the right or right down
                      > the enter axis of my hammocks.

                      I can lay diagonal to the left, and I can lay down the center. I usually do
                      when I'm reading. I can't lay diagonal to the right. I thought that this
                      might be a problem at first because most of my life I slept diagonal to the
                      right, but I quickly got used to laying left.

                      > I find that laying on a diagonal sometimes results in a slight
                      > discomfort to the shoulders that I refer to as `shoulder squeeze'.

                      This is not an issue in an asym hammock.

                      > I found that I am sometimes more comfortable lying down the center
                      > axis of the hammock and primarily
                      > just shifting my feet and legs either to the left or right until I
                      > find my sweet spot. I think the asymmetrical design encourages one
                      > to lay on a more severe diagonal and to one particular side, I like
                      > the freedom to pick the side if I choose to lay on a diagonal.

                      There is a lot of play in it. This is your preference, and that's fair
                      enough.

                      > But these are just my opinions and we all are entitled to our own.
                      > Obviously, many people genuinely like the asymmetrical design. I
                      > think it is great that we have these choices.

                      Agreed, but some of the above forces me to ask a rude question. Have you
                      ever actually TRIED an asym hammock? Hennessey or no?

                      Shane
                    • Jerry Goller
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                        Message
                        I know....I was agreeing with you. It *does* happen, from time to time......   ;o)
                        Jerry

                        > > Actually it has to do with the bias of the cloth.

                        > It also has to do with the characteristics of the fabric weave. It
                        > stretches more in one direction than the other.

                        Yeah...  That's what bias means...

                        Shane

                      • Shane
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                          Message> I know....I was agreeing with you. It *does* happen, from time to
                          > time...... ;o)

                          Ah. OK, then. I was caught off guard by that... ;)

                          Shane
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                            Shane,

                            Okay, I see what you meant. I didn't realize that the fabric for the
                            hammock bed is oriented such that it is on a diagonal to the fabric
                            weave, or like you said, on a bias of the cloth. Thanks for pointing
                            that out, that does mean that what I stated was not correct. I now
                            see that the side pullouts are positioned to 'compliment' the asym
                            nature of the hammock rather than 'causing' the asym nature.

                            Youngblood
                          • ptoddf@aol.com
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                              Shane,

                              Many thanks for your explanation of the bias cut for asym hammock design. I wasn't aware of this and it adds an important new dimension to my attempts using my test hammock. See post on my variation on this idea.

                              I like the HH too, but I want to make a light, efficient open hammock, without net or other HH features that is as comfortable.

                              Best, Todd in Tarzana.
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
                                wrote:
                                ...> Agreed, but some of the above forces me to ask a rude question.
                                Have you
                                > ever actually TRIED an asym hammock? Hennessey or no?
                                >
                                > Shane

                                Yes, I used one extensively on backpacking trips for about a year.
                                It was the Hennessy UtraLight Backpacker Asym, which was the first
                                asym model that came out and the only asym model available at the
                                time I purchased it.

                                I believe we had discussions previously where we disagreed on a
                                particular point and someone wisely pointed out that the hammock you
                                were using was larger that the one I had and that might be why we saw
                                details differently. I believe you use the Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
                                A-Sym, which is a bit larger than the one I used. That might again
                                explain some of the different opinions as well as the fact that I
                                used the side pullouts with mine and you apparently do not. But then
                                again, it is also possible that we see the same thing but judge it
                                differently... such is life.

                                Youngblood
                              • ptoddf@aol.com
                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                                  On test hammocks, Risk has a great idea there. Thanks, Risk.

                                  Try this variation so you can try different gathers and bias ideas:

                                  Instead of an end knot, pass the gathered material on each end through a Home Depot welded steel ring, about 2" in diameter and 3/16" thick. Secure the material to itself with a split piece of black rubber hose and a standard stainless steel worm-gear hose clamp. Buy the hose, about 1 and 1/2 inch in diameter from the same store. You can buy 1 foot off the roll, cut this into about 2 1/2" segments and split them along oneside with a knife. Cut out 1/8" or so if the hose doesn't close tightly enough around the folded hammock end.

                                  This allows you to clamp and unclamp in minutes.

                                  WARNING!!! If this is not done right the material can slip through and you'll hit the ground! This happened to me the first time I tried it.

                                  Make sure the clamp is very tight, don't hang the hammock very high, and put a lounge chair pad on the ground underneath just in case.
                                  Better would be to sew a safety margin on the end of the material so it can't slip throught the clamp even if it slips. This is for design testing only!

                                  I learned a huge amount from doing different folding and rolling schemes,  including off-axis rolls and folds. There's nothing like lying in a hammock real time to figure out what's going on, and this method makes it possible. Small changes have large, non-obvious results.

                                  If this is not clear, speak up and I'll post pictures.

                                  Best, Todd in Tarzana.
                                • zippydooda
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                                    So, can you tell us what you learned? Especially on the off axis
                                    stuff...

                                    Bill in Houston

                                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ptoddf@a... wrote:
                                    > On test hammocks, Risk has a great idea there. Thanks, Risk.
                                    > <snip>
                                    > I learned a huge amount from doing different folding and rolling
                                    schemes,
                                    > including off-axis rolls and folds. There's nothing like lying in a
                                    hammock real
                                    > time to figure out what's going on, and this method makes it
                                    possible. Small
                                    > changes have large, non-obvious results.
                                    >
                                    > If this is not clear, speak up and I'll post pictures.
                                    >
                                    > Best, Todd in Tarzana.
                                  • Amy Skowronek
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                                      On Oct 5, 2004, at 10:49 AM, Dave Womble wrote:

                                      > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
                                      > wrote:
                                      > ...> Agreed, but some of the above forces me to ask a rude question.
                                      > Have you
                                      >> ever actually TRIED an asym hammock? Hennessey or no?
                                      >>
                                      >> Shane
                                      >
                                      > Yes, I used one extensively on backpacking trips for about a year.
                                      > It was the Hennessy UtraLight Backpacker Asym, which was the first
                                      > asym model that came out and the only asym model available at the
                                      > time I purchased it.

                                      I've used this model as well. I've slept in it for about a month total.

                                      I used the older non-asym ultralight backpacker on the trail for about
                                      a month, too.
                                      The big difference to me was that when I rolled over in the asym I
                                      didn't
                                      need to switch diagonals. I almost always sleep with a pad in the
                                      hammock
                                      so switching diagonals is a pain. It didn't feel roomier to me. (But
                                      I'm 5'4",
                                      so I had plenty of room to start with.)

                                      -amy
                                    • Ray Garlington
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "seuss910" <wrv77@y...> wrote:
                                        > Asymmetry was achieved with the cut of the hammock, not so much
                                        > with the fold. I started with a kind of squared off trapezoid,
                                        sewed
                                        > a soft webbing along the end hems for bulk, pleated the ends, and
                                        > then tied the hanging straps around the bunched ends.

                                        This is similar to what I did, but I used a shape more like a
                                        parallelogram, like so: http://tinyurl.com/62zmc

                                        I kept the bias of the cloth aligned with the support points (i.e.
                                        centerline of the hammock), since you don't want any stretch in that
                                        dimension. I got a moderate asym feel with a 3" cut on each side.
                                        I'd be tempted to go to about 6" for the next try.