Re: Can you make an asym hammock

  • Ray Garlington
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "petehoppo" <petehoppo@o...>
      wrote:

      >I am wondering if anyone has made a
      > speer/Zhammock desing but in asym

      I have fooled around with tying the hammock ends in an asymmetrical
      fashion. I described the first attempt here:

      In this example, I was mostly interested in the catenary-cut end
      shape, but ended up trying an asymmetrical, catenary cut. I didn't
      go beyond the 3" drop which gave a very mild asym feel. Since you
      can experiment by using the whipped end technique, you can quickly
      try various asym shapes (beyond the 3" drop) and see how it goes.

      Although I did not mess with it much, the asym shape allows you to
      shorten the hammock body somewhat, and still have a comfortable
      lie. The down side is you can ONLY lie in it comfortably one way.
      More experimentation is needed here....
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
        Jerry,

        You asked about the tradeoffs I see with an asymmetrical hammock
        design.

        Without the associated side pullouts currently used to form an
        asymmetrical shape, I can gently rock in my hammock. I find it
        soothing and it sometimes helps me sleep to reach down and either
        directly push off on the ground or use a pole to create a gentle
        rocking motion that lasts for a surprising long time. I think that
        side pullouts would make it difficult if not downright impossible to
        get this gentle rocking motion.

        I think the side pullouts used with the current asymmetrical hammocks
        are somewhat problematic for a side entry hammock and that is my
        preferred entry method. In my experience, the bottom entry method is
        more difficult to deal with when you need bottom side insulation and
        I usually need something for bottom side insulation since I mostly
        hammock camp in the mountains where night time temperatures require
        at least some insulation.

        There is not anything preventing a person from laying diagonal in a
        well designed hammock that doesn't have an asymmetrical shape. I
        can
        lay diagonal to the left, diagonal to the right or right down the
        enter axis of my hammocks. I find that laying on a diagonal
        sometimes results in a slight discomfort to the shoulders that I
        refer to as `shoulder squeeze'. I found that I am sometimes
        more
        comfortable lying down the center axis of the hammock and primarily
        just shifting my feet and legs either to the left or right until I
        find my sweet spot. I think the asymmetrical design encourages one
        to lay on a more severe diagonal and to one particular side, I like
        the freedom to pick the side if I choose to lay on a diagonal.

        The main advantage I see in the asymmetrical hammock design that uses
        side pull-outs is that it keeps the bugnetting from sagging in on
        you, thus giving you more interior space to call your own. However,
        I don't often need or use a bugnet when I hammock camp. When I
        hammock camp in the mountains, I usually find a place where bugs are
        not present to the extent they are a problem and when they are not, I
        seldom use a bugnet unless the wind is bothersome and is blowing in
        such a manner as it gets to my face and is cool enough to cause me
        discomfort. I have on an occasion or two used a bugnet for added
        warmth because it does act as a wind barrier and somewhat traps a
        layer of warm air, but that isn't very often. I much prefer the
        more open environment of not having a bugnet in place so that I can
        better see my surroundings, enjoy a light breeze with its associated
        fresh air, more easily enter/exit the hammock and reach items on the
        ground. For me, a bugnet is only a `necessary evil' that I
        use when
        conditions require, much like the small headnet that I also carry
        during `bug season' to go over my head when flying critters
        are being
        a nuisance. When I need it, I put the headnet on, and that is
        usually at breaks but might also be when hikingÂ… but I don't
        want it
        on when I don't need it as it is a royal pain because it builds
        up
        heat and humidity, reduces the cooling effect of breezes and limits
        visibility. I find the same conditions apply to a bugnet on a
        hammock, so the advantage of using side pull-outs for me would only
        be a small part of the time and not really worth it to me.

        But these are just my opinions and we all are entitled to our own.
        Obviously, many people genuinely like the asymmetrical design. I
        think it is great that we have these choices.

        Youngblood

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller"

        http://www.BackpackGearTest.org : the
        > most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

        <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129tfo50h/M=295196.4901138.6071305.300117
        6/D=gr

        oups/S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1096980755/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http:
        //comp
        > anion.yahoo.com> click here
        >
        > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
        M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=
        > :HM/A=2128215/rand=392186013>
        >

        > _____

        subject=Unsubscribe>

        Service
        > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
      • David Chinell
        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
          Dave:

          You can rock yourself if you bend one leg, point
          the knee skyward, then move the knee left to
          right. It almost feels like you're pushing your
          thigh against one side of the hammock, but of
          course, you're not. It's changing the center of
          gravity that's doing the rocking.

          Bear
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
            > > I don't think the asym characteristic is achieved by how one folds
            > > the ends of the hammock, I think it is achieved by the position of
            > > side pullouts.
            >
            > Actually it has to do with the bias of the cloth. Just moving the
            side
            > pullouts isn't the same thing.
            >
            > Shane

            How so? Don't the pullouts on the HH asym hammocks create the
            asymmetrical shape that gives these hammocks their name?

            Youngblood
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
              <dchinell@m...> wrote:
              > Dave:
              >
              > You can rock yourself if you bend one leg, point
              > the knee skyward, then move the knee left to
              > right. It almost feels like you're pushing your
              > thigh against one side of the hammock, but of
              > course, you're not. It's changing the center of
              > gravity that's doing the rocking.
              >
              > Bear

              Bear, agreed. But I haven't swung by repetively and synchronized
              shifting of my center of gravity since I was a few years younger on
              the school ground swing set. Its a skill I'm a little rusty at.

              Dave
            • Shane
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                > I don't think the asym characteristic is achieved by how one folds
                > the ends of the hammock, I think it is achieved by the position of
                > side pullouts.

                Actually it has to do with the bias of the cloth. Just moving the side
                pullouts isn't the same thing.

                Shane
              • Jerry Goller
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                  Message
                  It also has to do with the characteristics of the fabric weave. It stretches more in one direction than the other.
                  Jerry

                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                    Message
                    Me, too...lol. And it is interesting that most of the negatives that you see in an asym, I see as positives. That's why we have more than one design and more than one manufacturer....   ;o)
                    I also use mine almost exclusively in the mountains.
                    Jerry

                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                      Jerry,

                      I am somewhat familiar with the stretch characteristics of woven
                      fabric, to the extent that I understand that it stretches most on its
                      bias and least on its warp. I believe the center line of the hammock
                      bed is on the warp of the fabric and the weft is orthogonal (or 90
                      degrees) to the warp with the bias being at a 45 degree angle to both
                      the warp and the weft. And I can understand how that effects the
                      feel or lay of the hammock if you lay on a diagonal to the center
                      line of the hammock versus laying on the center line of the hammock.

                      What I don't understand is Shane's or even your comment to my
                      statement.

                      I said: "I don't think the asym characteristic is achieved by how one
                      folds the ends of the hammock, I think it is achieved by the position
                      of side pullouts."

                      Shane replied with: "Actually it has to do with the bias of the
                      cloth. Just moving the side pullouts isn't the same thing."

                      Jerry, you replied with: "It also has to do with the characteristics
                      of the fabric weave. It stretches more in one direction than the
                      other."

                      I don't understand the comment, are we talking about the same think,
                      the asym shape or are we talking about the lay of the hammock? I
                      think one or some combination of us is confusing one thing with
                      another. <grin>

                      Youngblood
                    • Shane Steinkamp
                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                        > > Actually it has to do with the bias of the cloth.

                        > It also has to do with the characteristics of the fabric weave. It
                        > stretches more in one direction than the other.

                        Yeah... That's what bias means...

                        Shane
                      • Shane Steinkamp
                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                          > > > I don't think the asym characteristic is achieved by how one
                          > > > folds the ends of the hammock, I think it is achieved by the
                          > > > position of side pullouts.
                          > >
                          > > Actually it has to do with the bias of the cloth. Just moving the
                          > > side pullouts isn't the same thing.
                          >
                          > How so? Don't the pullouts on the HH asym hammocks create the
                          > asymmetrical shape that gives these hammocks their name?

                          Looking at it, you might assume so, but I don't use the pullouts and my
                          hammock is still asymmetrical. Folks who don't sew their own clothes rarely
                          understand, much less know about, fabric bias.

                          Essentially all fabric comes on a bolt. The nylon cloths used to make
                          hammocks is no different. You can't just cut a suit of clothes out of a
                          piece of fabric willy-nilly. You have to appreciate the bias of the cloth
                          so that the finished clothes hang right. Fabric has a weave. This weave
                          stretches very little across the grain in either direction, but along the
                          bias - 45 degrees off straight grain - there is a much greater stretch.

                          An asymmetrical hammock uses this to an advantage. It is NOT the same as
                          simply laying in a non-asym hammock at an angle. What's the difference?

                          Well, think about a piece of fabric that you're going to make a hammock out
                          of. Let's say that it's 4 by 8 feet. If we gather the small ends and tie
                          our ropes, this is a symmetrical hammock. The fabric will stretch very
                          little. The 'lay' of the hammock will be somewhere around six feet, and
                          will probably be comfortable. Instead of tying at the narrow ends, think
                          about tying at opposite corners. Now you have an asymmetrical hammock. The
                          'lay' of this hammock - made from the same size piece as the first one -
                          will be very nearly 8 feet or maybe a little more, and the 'lay' will be
                          MUCH flatter.

                          Of course, you can't just tie two corners like that... You have to cut the
                          piece in such a way that you can tie enough of it so that you get enough of
                          it tied into the rope so that it's strong enough. Tom doesn't actually have
                          this quite right. I think he's found a balance between weight and lay. If
                          he used a bit more material, the asym hammocks could be a little flatter.
                          The bug netting also has something to do with it, I think, but I haven't cut
                          one apart to actually see what his cut lines are. I built my first
                          asymmetrical hammock in about 1993 and it took me a few tries to figure it
                          out. Tom's design is solid.

                          None of this is to say that there's anything wrong with a non-asym hammock
                          that hangs along the fabric grain. I just think that it's important to
                          appreciate that there is a real difference in the two methods - and it has
                          nothing to do with the placement of the tieouts.

                          Shane
                        • Shane Steinkamp
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                            > Without the associated side pullouts currently used to form an
                            > asymmetrical shape, I can gently rock in my hammock.

                            I can rock in my asym. Why shouldn't I be able to?

                            > I think the side pullouts used with the current asymmetrical
                            > hammocks are somewhat problematic for a side entry hammock and that
                            > is my preferred entry method.

                            Simply don't tie them. I never tie the pullouts...

                            > In my experience, the bottom entry method is
                            > more difficult to deal with when you need bottom side insulation and
                            > I usually need something for bottom side insulation since I mostly
                            > hammock camp in the mountains where night time temperatures require
                            > at least some insulation.

                            I use a 27" pad, and with the asym design, the edge of the pad is right at
                            the base of the slit. This is perfect. I sit on the pad right where I need
                            to be. The slit is never an issue. It IS an issue in a non-asym hammock if
                            there is a bottom slit.

                            > There is not anything preventing a person from laying diagonal in a
                            > well designed hammock that doesn't have an asymmetrical shape.

                            But it's NOT the same thing.

                            > can lay diagonal to the left, diagonal to the right or right down
                            > the enter axis of my hammocks.

                            I can lay diagonal to the left, and I can lay down the center. I usually do
                            when I'm reading. I can't lay diagonal to the right. I thought that this
                            might be a problem at first because most of my life I slept diagonal to the
                            right, but I quickly got used to laying left.

                            > I find that laying on a diagonal sometimes results in a slight
                            > discomfort to the shoulders that I refer to as `shoulder squeeze'.

                            This is not an issue in an asym hammock.

                            > I found that I am sometimes more comfortable lying down the center
                            > axis of the hammock and primarily
                            > just shifting my feet and legs either to the left or right until I
                            > find my sweet spot. I think the asymmetrical design encourages one
                            > to lay on a more severe diagonal and to one particular side, I like
                            > the freedom to pick the side if I choose to lay on a diagonal.

                            There is a lot of play in it. This is your preference, and that's fair
                            enough.

                            > But these are just my opinions and we all are entitled to our own.
                            > Obviously, many people genuinely like the asymmetrical design. I
                            > think it is great that we have these choices.

                            Agreed, but some of the above forces me to ask a rude question. Have you
                            ever actually TRIED an asym hammock? Hennessey or no?

                            Shane
                          • Jerry Goller
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                              Message
                              I know....I was agreeing with you. It *does* happen, from time to time......   ;o)
                              Jerry

                              > > Actually it has to do with the bias of the cloth.

                              > It also has to do with the characteristics of the fabric weave. It
                              > stretches more in one direction than the other.

                              Yeah...  That's what bias means...

                              Shane

                            • Shane
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                                Message> I know....I was agreeing with you. It *does* happen, from time to
                                > time...... ;o)

                                Ah. OK, then. I was caught off guard by that... ;)

                                Shane
                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                                  Shane,

                                  Okay, I see what you meant. I didn't realize that the fabric for the
                                  hammock bed is oriented such that it is on a diagonal to the fabric
                                  weave, or like you said, on a bias of the cloth. Thanks for pointing
                                  that out, that does mean that what I stated was not correct. I now
                                  see that the side pullouts are positioned to 'compliment' the asym
                                  nature of the hammock rather than 'causing' the asym nature.

                                  Youngblood
                                • ptoddf@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                                    Shane,

                                    Many thanks for your explanation of the bias cut for asym hammock design. I wasn't aware of this and it adds an important new dimension to my attempts using my test hammock. See post on my variation on this idea.

                                    I like the HH too, but I want to make a light, efficient open hammock, without net or other HH features that is as comfortable.

                                    Best, Todd in Tarzana.
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
                                      wrote:
                                      ...> Agreed, but some of the above forces me to ask a rude question.
                                      Have you
                                      > ever actually TRIED an asym hammock? Hennessey or no?
                                      >
                                      > Shane

                                      Yes, I used one extensively on backpacking trips for about a year.
                                      It was the Hennessy UtraLight Backpacker Asym, which was the first
                                      asym model that came out and the only asym model available at the
                                      time I purchased it.

                                      I believe we had discussions previously where we disagreed on a
                                      particular point and someone wisely pointed out that the hammock you
                                      were using was larger that the one I had and that might be why we saw
                                      details differently. I believe you use the Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
                                      A-Sym, which is a bit larger than the one I used. That might again
                                      explain some of the different opinions as well as the fact that I
                                      used the side pullouts with mine and you apparently do not. But then
                                      again, it is also possible that we see the same thing but judge it
                                      differently... such is life.

                                      Youngblood
                                    • ptoddf@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                                        On test hammocks, Risk has a great idea there. Thanks, Risk.

                                        Try this variation so you can try different gathers and bias ideas:

                                        Instead of an end knot, pass the gathered material on each end through a Home Depot welded steel ring, about 2" in diameter and 3/16" thick. Secure the material to itself with a split piece of black rubber hose and a standard stainless steel worm-gear hose clamp. Buy the hose, about 1 and 1/2 inch in diameter from the same store. You can buy 1 foot off the roll, cut this into about 2 1/2" segments and split them along oneside with a knife. Cut out 1/8" or so if the hose doesn't close tightly enough around the folded hammock end.

                                        This allows you to clamp and unclamp in minutes.

                                        WARNING!!! If this is not done right the material can slip through and you'll hit the ground! This happened to me the first time I tried it.

                                        Make sure the clamp is very tight, don't hang the hammock very high, and put a lounge chair pad on the ground underneath just in case.
                                        Better would be to sew a safety margin on the end of the material so it can't slip throught the clamp even if it slips. This is for design testing only!

                                        I learned a huge amount from doing different folding and rolling schemes,  including off-axis rolls and folds. There's nothing like lying in a hammock real time to figure out what's going on, and this method makes it possible. Small changes have large, non-obvious results.

                                        If this is not clear, speak up and I'll post pictures.

                                        Best, Todd in Tarzana.
                                      • zippydooda
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                                          So, can you tell us what you learned? Especially on the off axis
                                          stuff...

                                          Bill in Houston

                                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ptoddf@a... wrote:
                                          > On test hammocks, Risk has a great idea there. Thanks, Risk.
                                          > <snip>
                                          > I learned a huge amount from doing different folding and rolling
                                          schemes,
                                          > including off-axis rolls and folds. There's nothing like lying in a
                                          hammock real
                                          > time to figure out what's going on, and this method makes it
                                          possible. Small
                                          > changes have large, non-obvious results.
                                          >
                                          > If this is not clear, speak up and I'll post pictures.
                                          >
                                          > Best, Todd in Tarzana.
                                        • Amy Skowronek
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                                            On Oct 5, 2004, at 10:49 AM, Dave Womble wrote:

                                            > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
                                            > wrote:
                                            > ...> Agreed, but some of the above forces me to ask a rude question.
                                            > Have you
                                            >> ever actually TRIED an asym hammock? Hennessey or no?
                                            >>
                                            >> Shane
                                            >
                                            > Yes, I used one extensively on backpacking trips for about a year.
                                            > It was the Hennessy UtraLight Backpacker Asym, which was the first
                                            > asym model that came out and the only asym model available at the
                                            > time I purchased it.

                                            I've used this model as well. I've slept in it for about a month total.

                                            I used the older non-asym ultralight backpacker on the trail for about
                                            a month, too.
                                            The big difference to me was that when I rolled over in the asym I
                                            didn't
                                            need to switch diagonals. I almost always sleep with a pad in the
                                            hammock
                                            so switching diagonals is a pain. It didn't feel roomier to me. (But
                                            I'm 5'4",
                                            so I had plenty of room to start with.)

                                            -amy
                                          • Ray Garlington
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "seuss910" <wrv77@y...> wrote:
                                              > Asymmetry was achieved with the cut of the hammock, not so much
                                              > with the fold. I started with a kind of squared off trapezoid,
                                              sewed
                                              > a soft webbing along the end hems for bulk, pleated the ends, and
                                              > then tied the hanging straps around the bunched ends.

                                              This is similar to what I did, but I used a shape more like a
                                              parallelogram, like so: http://tinyurl.com/62zmc

                                              I kept the bias of the cloth aligned with the support points (i.e.
                                              centerline of the hammock), since you don't want any stretch in that
                                              dimension. I got a moderate asym feel with a 3" cut on each side.
                                              I'd be tempted to go to about 6" for the next try.