Re: Can you make an asym hammock

  • seuss910
    Message 1 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
      My latest Speer-inspired home made is moderately asymmetrical. I'm
      not convinced it wasn't a waste of time but since it was fairly
      simple it wasn't a waste of all that much time. I only sleep maybe 5-
      10 degrees off the center axis though it does result in a nice
      little "pocket" for my feet. I suppose there is a corresponding
      pocket at the other end for my head but that's not as noticeable.

      Asymmetry was achieved with the cut of the hammock, not so much
      with the fold. I started with a kind of squared off trapezoid, sewed
      a soft webbing along the end hems for bulk, pleated the ends, and
      then tied the hanging straps around the bunched ends.

      Just to make things more complicated, it's an extra long, double
      bottom, hammock using very light uncoated ripstop polyester off the
      wally world $1/yard table. I'm not sure I could recreate the hammock
      if I tried.

      best of luck . . .

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "petehoppo" <petehoppo@o...>
      wrote:

      > After checking out all the great info on building a hammock and all
      > the great reports on HH's I am wondering if anyone has made a
      > speer/Zhammock desing but in asym or is it not possible
      >
      > I am not quite sure of the HH design but was thinking that
      depending
      > on how you folded the end you may be able to get it asym
      >
      > What do you think?
      >
      > Feel free to convince me thay asym is not necessary for a side
      > sleeper to get comfortable in a hammock
    • Jerry Goller
      Message 2 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
        Message
        What trade offs have you run into?
        Jerry

        Message 3 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
          wrote:

          >I am wondering if anyone has made a
          > speer/Zhammock desing but in asym

          I have fooled around with tying the hammock ends in an asymmetrical
          fashion. I described the first attempt here:

          In this example, I was mostly interested in the catenary-cut end
          shape, but ended up trying an asymmetrical, catenary cut. I didn't
          go beyond the 3" drop which gave a very mild asym feel. Since you
          can experiment by using the whipped end technique, you can quickly
          try various asym shapes (beyond the 3" drop) and see how it goes.

          Although I did not mess with it much, the asym shape allows you to
          shorten the hammock body somewhat, and still have a comfortable
          lie. The down side is you can ONLY lie in it comfortably one way.
          More experimentation is needed here....
          Message 4 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
            Jerry,

            You asked about the tradeoffs I see with an asymmetrical hammock
            design.

            Without the associated side pullouts currently used to form an
            asymmetrical shape, I can gently rock in my hammock. I find it
            soothing and it sometimes helps me sleep to reach down and either
            directly push off on the ground or use a pole to create a gentle
            rocking motion that lasts for a surprising long time. I think that
            side pullouts would make it difficult if not downright impossible to
            get this gentle rocking motion.

            I think the side pullouts used with the current asymmetrical hammocks
            are somewhat problematic for a side entry hammock and that is my
            preferred entry method. In my experience, the bottom entry method is
            more difficult to deal with when you need bottom side insulation and
            I usually need something for bottom side insulation since I mostly
            hammock camp in the mountains where night time temperatures require
            at least some insulation.

            There is not anything preventing a person from laying diagonal in a
            well designed hammock that doesn't have an asymmetrical shape. I
            can
            lay diagonal to the left, diagonal to the right or right down the
            enter axis of my hammocks. I find that laying on a diagonal
            sometimes results in a slight discomfort to the shoulders that I
            refer to as `shoulder squeeze'. I found that I am sometimes
            more
            comfortable lying down the center axis of the hammock and primarily
            just shifting my feet and legs either to the left or right until I
            find my sweet spot. I think the asymmetrical design encourages one
            to lay on a more severe diagonal and to one particular side, I like
            the freedom to pick the side if I choose to lay on a diagonal.

            The main advantage I see in the asymmetrical hammock design that uses
            side pull-outs is that it keeps the bugnetting from sagging in on
            you, thus giving you more interior space to call your own. However,
            I don't often need or use a bugnet when I hammock camp. When I
            hammock camp in the mountains, I usually find a place where bugs are
            not present to the extent they are a problem and when they are not, I
            seldom use a bugnet unless the wind is bothersome and is blowing in
            such a manner as it gets to my face and is cool enough to cause me
            discomfort. I have on an occasion or two used a bugnet for added
            warmth because it does act as a wind barrier and somewhat traps a
            layer of warm air, but that isn't very often. I much prefer the
            more open environment of not having a bugnet in place so that I can
            better see my surroundings, enjoy a light breeze with its associated
            fresh air, more easily enter/exit the hammock and reach items on the
            ground. For me, a bugnet is only a `necessary evil' that I
            use when
            conditions require, much like the small headnet that I also carry
            during `bug season' to go over my head when flying critters
            are being
            a nuisance. When I need it, I put the headnet on, and that is
            usually at breaks but might also be when hikingÂ… but I don't
            want it
            on when I don't need it as it is a royal pain because it builds
            up
            heat and humidity, reduces the cooling effect of breezes and limits
            visibility. I find the same conditions apply to a bugnet on a
            hammock, so the advantage of using side pull-outs for me would only
            be a small part of the time and not really worth it to me.

            But these are just my opinions and we all are entitled to our own.
            Obviously, many people genuinely like the asymmetrical design. I
            think it is great that we have these choices.

            Youngblood

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller"

            http://www.BackpackGearTest.org : the
            > most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129tfo50h/M=295196.4901138.6071305.300117
            6/D=gr

            oups/S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1096980755/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http:
            //comp
            > anion.yahoo.com> click here
            >
            > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
            M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=groups/S=
            > :HM/A=2128215/rand=392186013>
            >

            > _____

            subject=Unsubscribe>

            Service
            > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
          • David Chinell
            Message 5 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
              Dave:

              You can rock yourself if you bend one leg, point
              the knee skyward, then move the knee left to
              right. It almost feels like you're pushing your
              thigh against one side of the hammock, but of
              course, you're not. It's changing the center of
              gravity that's doing the rocking.

              Bear
              Message 6 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
                > > I don't think the asym characteristic is achieved by how one folds
                > > the ends of the hammock, I think it is achieved by the position of
                > > side pullouts.
                >
                > Actually it has to do with the bias of the cloth. Just moving the
                side
                > pullouts isn't the same thing.
                >
                > Shane

                How so? Don't the pullouts on the HH asym hammocks create the
                asymmetrical shape that gives these hammocks their name?

                Youngblood
                Message 7 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                  <dchinell@m...> wrote:
                  > Dave:
                  >
                  > You can rock yourself if you bend one leg, point
                  > the knee skyward, then move the knee left to
                  > right. It almost feels like you're pushing your
                  > thigh against one side of the hammock, but of
                  > course, you're not. It's changing the center of
                  > gravity that's doing the rocking.
                  >
                  > Bear

                  Bear, agreed. But I haven't swung by repetively and synchronized
                  shifting of my center of gravity since I was a few years younger on
                  the school ground swing set. Its a skill I'm a little rusty at.

                  Dave
                • Shane
                  Message 8 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004

                    Message 9 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                      Message
                      It also has to do with the characteristics of the fabric weave. It stretches more in one direction than the other.
                      Jerry

                      Message 10 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                        Message
                        Me, too...lol. And it is interesting that most of the negatives that you see in an asym, I see as positives. That's why we have more than one design and more than one manufacturer....   ;o)
                        I also use mine almost exclusively in the mountains.
                        Jerry

                        Message 11 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                          Jerry,

                          I am somewhat familiar with the stretch characteristics of woven
                          fabric, to the extent that I understand that it stretches most on its
                          bias and least on its warp. I believe the center line of the hammock
                          bed is on the warp of the fabric and the weft is orthogonal (or 90
                          degrees) to the warp with the bias being at a 45 degree angle to both
                          the warp and the weft. And I can understand how that effects the
                          feel or lay of the hammock if you lay on a diagonal to the center
                          line of the hammock versus laying on the center line of the hammock.

                          What I don't understand is Shane's or even your comment to my
                          statement.

                          I said: "I don't think the asym characteristic is achieved by how one
                          folds the ends of the hammock, I think it is achieved by the position
                          of side pullouts."

                          Shane replied with: "Actually it has to do with the bias of the
                          cloth. Just moving the side pullouts isn't the same thing."

                          Jerry, you replied with: "It also has to do with the characteristics
                          of the fabric weave. It stretches more in one direction than the
                          other."

                          I don't understand the comment, are we talking about the same think,
                          the asym shape or are we talking about the lay of the hammock? I
                          think one or some combination of us is confusing one thing with
                          another. <grin>

                          Youngblood
                        • Shane Steinkamp
                          Message 12 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                            > > Actually it has to do with the bias of the cloth.

                            > It also has to do with the characteristics of the fabric weave. It
                            > stretches more in one direction than the other.

                            Yeah... That's what bias means...

                            Shane
                          • Shane Steinkamp
                            Message 13 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                              > > > I don't think the asym characteristic is achieved by how one
                              > > > folds the ends of the hammock, I think it is achieved by the
                              > > > position of side pullouts.
                              > >
                              > > Actually it has to do with the bias of the cloth. Just moving the
                              > > side pullouts isn't the same thing.
                              >
                              > How so? Don't the pullouts on the HH asym hammocks create the
                              > asymmetrical shape that gives these hammocks their name?

                              Looking at it, you might assume so, but I don't use the pullouts and my
                              hammock is still asymmetrical. Folks who don't sew their own clothes rarely
                              understand, much less know about, fabric bias.

                              Essentially all fabric comes on a bolt. The nylon cloths used to make
                              hammocks is no different. You can't just cut a suit of clothes out of a
                              piece of fabric willy-nilly. You have to appreciate the bias of the cloth
                              so that the finished clothes hang right. Fabric has a weave. This weave
                              stretches very little across the grain in either direction, but along the
                              bias - 45 degrees off straight grain - there is a much greater stretch.

                              An asymmetrical hammock uses this to an advantage. It is NOT the same as
                              simply laying in a non-asym hammock at an angle. What's the difference?

                              Well, think about a piece of fabric that you're going to make a hammock out
                              of. Let's say that it's 4 by 8 feet. If we gather the small ends and tie
                              our ropes, this is a symmetrical hammock. The fabric will stretch very
                              little. The 'lay' of the hammock will be somewhere around six feet, and
                              will probably be comfortable. Instead of tying at the narrow ends, think
                              about tying at opposite corners. Now you have an asymmetrical hammock. The
                              'lay' of this hammock - made from the same size piece as the first one -
                              will be very nearly 8 feet or maybe a little more, and the 'lay' will be
                              MUCH flatter.

                              Of course, you can't just tie two corners like that... You have to cut the
                              piece in such a way that you can tie enough of it so that you get enough of
                              it tied into the rope so that it's strong enough. Tom doesn't actually have
                              this quite right. I think he's found a balance between weight and lay. If
                              he used a bit more material, the asym hammocks could be a little flatter.
                              The bug netting also has something to do with it, I think, but I haven't cut
                              one apart to actually see what his cut lines are. I built my first
                              asymmetrical hammock in about 1993 and it took me a few tries to figure it
                              out. Tom's design is solid.

                              None of this is to say that there's anything wrong with a non-asym hammock
                              that hangs along the fabric grain. I just think that it's important to
                              appreciate that there is a real difference in the two methods - and it has
                              nothing to do with the placement of the tieouts.

                              Shane
                            • Shane Steinkamp
                              Message 14 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                                > Without the associated side pullouts currently used to form an
                                > asymmetrical shape, I can gently rock in my hammock.

                                I can rock in my asym. Why shouldn't I be able to?

                                > I think the side pullouts used with the current asymmetrical
                                > hammocks are somewhat problematic for a side entry hammock and that
                                > is my preferred entry method.

                                Simply don't tie them. I never tie the pullouts...

                                > In my experience, the bottom entry method is
                                > more difficult to deal with when you need bottom side insulation and
                                > I usually need something for bottom side insulation since I mostly
                                > hammock camp in the mountains where night time temperatures require
                                > at least some insulation.

                                I use a 27" pad, and with the asym design, the edge of the pad is right at
                                the base of the slit. This is perfect. I sit on the pad right where I need
                                to be. The slit is never an issue. It IS an issue in a non-asym hammock if
                                there is a bottom slit.

                                > There is not anything preventing a person from laying diagonal in a
                                > well designed hammock that doesn't have an asymmetrical shape.

                                But it's NOT the same thing.

                                > can lay diagonal to the left, diagonal to the right or right down
                                > the enter axis of my hammocks.

                                I can lay diagonal to the left, and I can lay down the center. I usually do
                                when I'm reading. I can't lay diagonal to the right. I thought that this
                                might be a problem at first because most of my life I slept diagonal to the
                                right, but I quickly got used to laying left.

                                > I find that laying on a diagonal sometimes results in a slight
                                > discomfort to the shoulders that I refer to as `shoulder squeeze'.

                                This is not an issue in an asym hammock.

                                > I found that I am sometimes more comfortable lying down the center
                                > axis of the hammock and primarily
                                > just shifting my feet and legs either to the left or right until I
                                > find my sweet spot. I think the asymmetrical design encourages one
                                > to lay on a more severe diagonal and to one particular side, I like
                                > the freedom to pick the side if I choose to lay on a diagonal.

                                There is a lot of play in it. This is your preference, and that's fair
                                enough.

                                > But these are just my opinions and we all are entitled to our own.
                                > Obviously, many people genuinely like the asymmetrical design. I
                                > think it is great that we have these choices.

                                Agreed, but some of the above forces me to ask a rude question. Have you
                                ever actually TRIED an asym hammock? Hennessey or no?

                                Shane
                              • Jerry Goller
                                Message 15 of 26 , Oct 4, 2004
                                  Message
                                  I know....I was agreeing with you. It *does* happen, from time to time......   ;o)
                                  Jerry

                                  > > Actually it has to do with the bias of the cloth.

                                  > It also has to do with the characteristics of the fabric weave. It
                                  > stretches more in one direction than the other.

                                  Yeah...  That's what bias means...

                                  Shane

                                • Shane
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                                    Message> I know....I was agreeing with you. It *does* happen, from time to
                                    > time...... ;o)

                                    Ah. OK, then. I was caught off guard by that... ;)

                                    Shane
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                                      Shane,

                                      Okay, I see what you meant. I didn't realize that the fabric for the
                                      hammock bed is oriented such that it is on a diagonal to the fabric
                                      weave, or like you said, on a bias of the cloth. Thanks for pointing
                                      that out, that does mean that what I stated was not correct. I now
                                      see that the side pullouts are positioned to 'compliment' the asym
                                      nature of the hammock rather than 'causing' the asym nature.

                                      Youngblood
                                    • ptoddf@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                                        Shane,

                                        Many thanks for your explanation of the bias cut for asym hammock design. I wasn't aware of this and it adds an important new dimension to my attempts using my test hammock. See post on my variation on this idea.

                                        I like the HH too, but I want to make a light, efficient open hammock, without net or other HH features that is as comfortable.

                                        Best, Todd in Tarzana.
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
                                          wrote:
                                          ...> Agreed, but some of the above forces me to ask a rude question.
                                          Have you
                                          > ever actually TRIED an asym hammock? Hennessey or no?
                                          >
                                          > Shane

                                          Yes, I used one extensively on backpacking trips for about a year.
                                          It was the Hennessy UtraLight Backpacker Asym, which was the first
                                          asym model that came out and the only asym model available at the
                                          time I purchased it.

                                          I believe we had discussions previously where we disagreed on a
                                          particular point and someone wisely pointed out that the hammock you
                                          were using was larger that the one I had and that might be why we saw
                                          details differently. I believe you use the Hennessy Explorer Deluxe
                                          A-Sym, which is a bit larger than the one I used. That might again
                                          explain some of the different opinions as well as the fact that I
                                          used the side pullouts with mine and you apparently do not. But then
                                          again, it is also possible that we see the same thing but judge it
                                          differently... such is life.

                                          Youngblood
                                        • ptoddf@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                                            On test hammocks, Risk has a great idea there. Thanks, Risk.

                                            Try this variation so you can try different gathers and bias ideas:

                                            Instead of an end knot, pass the gathered material on each end through a Home Depot welded steel ring, about 2" in diameter and 3/16" thick. Secure the material to itself with a split piece of black rubber hose and a standard stainless steel worm-gear hose clamp. Buy the hose, about 1 and 1/2 inch in diameter from the same store. You can buy 1 foot off the roll, cut this into about 2 1/2" segments and split them along oneside with a knife. Cut out 1/8" or so if the hose doesn't close tightly enough around the folded hammock end.

                                            This allows you to clamp and unclamp in minutes.

                                            WARNING!!! If this is not done right the material can slip through and you'll hit the ground! This happened to me the first time I tried it.

                                            Make sure the clamp is very tight, don't hang the hammock very high, and put a lounge chair pad on the ground underneath just in case.
                                            Better would be to sew a safety margin on the end of the material so it can't slip throught the clamp even if it slips. This is for design testing only!

                                            I learned a huge amount from doing different folding and rolling schemes,  including off-axis rolls and folds. There's nothing like lying in a hammock real time to figure out what's going on, and this method makes it possible. Small changes have large, non-obvious results.

                                            If this is not clear, speak up and I'll post pictures.

                                            Best, Todd in Tarzana.
                                          • zippydooda
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                                              So, can you tell us what you learned? Especially on the off axis
                                              stuff...

                                              Bill in Houston

                                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, ptoddf@a... wrote:
                                              > On test hammocks, Risk has a great idea there. Thanks, Risk.
                                              > <snip>
                                              > I learned a huge amount from doing different folding and rolling
                                              schemes,
                                              > including off-axis rolls and folds. There's nothing like lying in a
                                              hammock real
                                              > time to figure out what's going on, and this method makes it
                                              possible. Small
                                              > changes have large, non-obvious results.
                                              >
                                              > If this is not clear, speak up and I'll post pictures.
                                              >
                                              > Best, Todd in Tarzana.
                                            • Amy Skowronek
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                                                On Oct 5, 2004, at 10:49 AM, Dave Womble wrote:

                                                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...>
                                                > wrote:
                                                > ...> Agreed, but some of the above forces me to ask a rude question.
                                                > Have you
                                                >> ever actually TRIED an asym hammock? Hennessey or no?
                                                >>
                                                >> Shane
                                                >
                                                > Yes, I used one extensively on backpacking trips for about a year.
                                                > It was the Hennessy UtraLight Backpacker Asym, which was the first
                                                > asym model that came out and the only asym model available at the
                                                > time I purchased it.

                                                I've used this model as well. I've slept in it for about a month total.

                                                I used the older non-asym ultralight backpacker on the trail for about
                                                a month, too.
                                                The big difference to me was that when I rolled over in the asym I
                                                didn't
                                                need to switch diagonals. I almost always sleep with a pad in the
                                                hammock
                                                so switching diagonals is a pain. It didn't feel roomier to me. (But
                                                I'm 5'4",
                                                so I had plenty of room to start with.)

                                                -amy
                                              • Ray Garlington
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Oct 5, 2004
                                                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "seuss910" <wrv77@y...> wrote:
                                                  > Asymmetry was achieved with the cut of the hammock, not so much
                                                  > with the fold. I started with a kind of squared off trapezoid,
                                                  sewed
                                                  > a soft webbing along the end hems for bulk, pleated the ends, and
                                                  > then tied the hanging straps around the bunched ends.

                                                  This is similar to what I did, but I used a shape more like a
                                                  parallelogram, like so: http://tinyurl.com/62zmc

                                                  I kept the bias of the cloth aligned with the support points (i.e.
                                                  centerline of the hammock), since you don't want any stretch in that
                                                  dimension. I got a moderate asym feel with a 3" cut on each side.
                                                  I'd be tempted to go to about 6" for the next try.