[Hammock Camping] Re: triptease

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
      Shane,

      I don't worry to much about the 188 lb breaking strength. I figure
      that is new cord without knots or sharp bends-- like around tent
      stakes. It is pretty light weight compared to comparable strength
      cord. Guyline stretch is a big issue for me when I use a tarp
      suspended above a hammock and I suspect that guyline stretch in
      general is proportional to the ratio of the loading on the guyline to
      the breaking strength of the guyline but I don't know for sure this
      is a big enough factor to be of concern.

      One biggy for me is that triptease (or spectra pulse cord) does not
      stretch like nylon cord when it gets wet. I have compared the slack
      with a roughly 8'x10' tarp I was using for my hammock by rigging it
      up one rainy night with braided nylon utility cord and the next rainy
      night with the low stretch triptease or spectra pulse line. The
      difference in the slack was dramatic. Now, this configuration used a
      lot of cord so it emphasised the stretch much more than what a tarp
      pitched for ground dwellers would experience. I think I tied it
      about 6 feet above the ground with trees spaced about 15'. I used
      three guylines on each side with about 7' of guyline to the ground
      stakes. I wished I had taken photos.

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
      > > Why don't you like triptease?
      >
      > I actually don't like it for several reasons, which I have noted
      from past
      > experience. One, it's too strong. With a breaking strength of 188
      lb (85
      > kg) it's stronger than any tarp's tear strength. Plain white nylon
      string
      > would work just fine, and has worked for me many times. Two, it's
      too
      > heavy. Again, inch for inch, white nylon string is lighter and
      every bit as
      > functional. Three, it's hard to see at night. Sure, it reflects
      your
      > flashlight or headlamp, but if you're like me and don't use a light
      while
      > you're stalking around in the dark, a plain white cord is a lot
      easier to
      > see. Four, it's too expensive.
      >
      > Shane
    • stumplug
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
        I don't use tie-outs on my HH Exp. in the common mode. I have an old
        small bore tent flexpole, five sections (ten feet) and bow it
        underneath, tying the canopy to the top (near the ends) and the
        hammock ties about eighteen inches down. The obvious advantage is
        nothing to trip over and I enjoy the swinging sensation. In the wind
        it has a tendacy to 'kite' over so I take a tarp tie vertical to a
        stake on the windward side.
        Works for me and I know most hammock campers have an old tent or two
        in the shed.