RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: triptease

  • Jerry Goller
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
      Message
      I use 2mm utility cord from Black Diamond. They, naturally, have a store in SLC.
      Jerry

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
        Shane,

        I don't worry to much about the 188 lb breaking strength. I figure
        that is new cord without knots or sharp bends-- like around tent
        stakes. It is pretty light weight compared to comparable strength
        cord. Guyline stretch is a big issue for me when I use a tarp
        suspended above a hammock and I suspect that guyline stretch in
        general is proportional to the ratio of the loading on the guyline to
        the breaking strength of the guyline but I don't know for sure this
        is a big enough factor to be of concern.

        One biggy for me is that triptease (or spectra pulse cord) does not
        stretch like nylon cord when it gets wet. I have compared the slack
        with a roughly 8'x10' tarp I was using for my hammock by rigging it
        up one rainy night with braided nylon utility cord and the next rainy
        night with the low stretch triptease or spectra pulse line. The
        difference in the slack was dramatic. Now, this configuration used a
        lot of cord so it emphasised the stretch much more than what a tarp
        pitched for ground dwellers would experience. I think I tied it
        about 6 feet above the ground with trees spaced about 15'. I used
        three guylines on each side with about 7' of guyline to the ground
        stakes. I wished I had taken photos.

        Youngblood

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
        > > Why don't you like triptease?
        >
        > I actually don't like it for several reasons, which I have noted
        from past
        > experience. One, it's too strong. With a breaking strength of 188
        lb (85
        > kg) it's stronger than any tarp's tear strength. Plain white nylon
        string
        > would work just fine, and has worked for me many times. Two, it's
        too
        > heavy. Again, inch for inch, white nylon string is lighter and
        every bit as
        > functional. Three, it's hard to see at night. Sure, it reflects
        your
        > flashlight or headlamp, but if you're like me and don't use a light
        while
        > you're stalking around in the dark, a plain white cord is a lot
        easier to
        > see. Four, it's too expensive.
        >
        > Shane
      • stumplug
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
          I don't use tie-outs on my HH Exp. in the common mode. I have an old
          small bore tent flexpole, five sections (ten feet) and bow it
          underneath, tying the canopy to the top (near the ends) and the
          hammock ties about eighteen inches down. The obvious advantage is
          nothing to trip over and I enjoy the swinging sensation. In the wind
          it has a tendacy to 'kite' over so I take a tarp tie vertical to a
          stake on the windward side.
          Works for me and I know most hammock campers have an old tent or two
          in the shed.