Re: [Hammock Camping] My Simple Hammock Hints...And My Underquilt Problem....

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004
      Shane wrote:

      >>>I always just tie a little knot in the end of the foot-end rope when I
      >>>

      >take
      >

      >>>it down.
      >>>

      >>It must be nicer than I thought not to have a head end of the hammock.
      >>This also gets the whole hammock used equally.
      >>

      >Long before I got a Hennessy, I always had a foot end and a head end. I
      >never wanted to sleep with my face where my feet were the night before.
      >
      >Shane

      On my drive home yesterday from the trail, I found a little piece of
      black grit in my ear. I wondered where it had come from.

      Seriously, I have never given it a thought. I never put my shoes into
      the hammock, and do a pretty good job of keeping clean on the trail,
      both head and foot. I must admit that I have never smelled dirty foot
      odor when lying down. I do wash my hammock every few outings, which has
      become much easier since I began whipping the ends instead of tying them.

      Risk
    • jonas4321@juno.com
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 3, 2004
        On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 16:59:15 -0400 Rick <ra1@...> writes:

        > I do wash my hammock every few outings, which
        > has become much easier since I began whipping the ends instead of tying

        > them.

        I have not tried the whipping method, but I had to take my hammock
        "apart" today to dry it out, and I was VERY happy with how easy it was to
        get the double sheet bend out of the hammock/webbing (even while the
        tubular nylon webbing was soaked). I am totally sold on it as an end
        knot., as it uses up very little material. The pics I put up last week
        are the very knots I had to untie today. They had been in there for about
        a half-dozen nights of use (and lots of tests).

        Now that they are out, I am going to make little "hammock huggers" using
        this knot and polypro webbing, and then use rope between that and my tree
        straps. Leaving your fly loose just before a storm is stupid, but it sure
        enables the "improvements"!

        Get your name as your email address.