Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: triptease

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
      Local or inertial frame of reference (in physics terms). I locate the
      guy wires as they are in the greater environment, you might locate
      them in relation to the hammock. I always visualize things as
      orthogonally oriented even though I know it isn't exactly North South
      etc. (Architects call things "plan north". So in the middle of the
      night I know where the hammock is but I can't remember how it or the
      guy lines are placed until I trip over them (literally). It is part of
      a minor learning disability.

      I always!! give directions North South, I don't know left from right
      in any consistent manner unless I am facing north. I almost flunked my
      driving test here and in England because of that. Winding English
      streets drove me nuts for two years. I really like the way Brigham
      Young planned out the Salt Lake Valley, Cartesian coordinate system,
      and the mountains are always to the east for a reference. Jerry and
      Kate would have to try real hard to get lost in Salt Lake.
      Ralph

      On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:17:12 -0500, Shane <shane@...> wrote:
      > > Shane when you give or get directions do you do Right- Left or do you
      > > do North-South etc. ? Serious question, really. And it might apply
      >
      > Both. It depends on the context... I will tend to use north/south when I
      > can. What does it mean?
      >

      > Shane

    • uluheman
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
        I have a good friend who cannot tell left from right, and,
        apparently, it's not that uncommon.

        Also, there are other frames of reference around the world, which may
        be of interest to hikers. Here on Oahu, it is highly uncommon to use
        compass directions. Almost universally, directions are given in terms
        of mauka (toward the mountains, which generally means towards the
        center of an island) and makai (toward the ocean). Local towns or
        landmarks are used to specify circumferential movement. Thus, one
        might need to go "five blocks mauka and one block Diamond Head" to
        get to a certain destination. It's basically a polar coordinate
        system.

        Furthermore, the mountains are so scored by deep valleys with steep
        walls and narrow ridgelines that it's usually impossible to follow a
        compass bearing. My impression is that most of us who spend a lot of
        time in our mountains think spatially in terms of a network of
        existing or potential pathways rather than a continuous Cartesian
        plane.

        Nevertheless, I've been known to trip over my guylines.

        Aloha,

        Brandon in Honolulu

        > Local or inertial frame of reference (in physics terms). I locate
        the
        > guy wires as they are in the greater environment, you might locate
        > them in relation to the hammock. I always visualize things as
        > orthogonally oriented even though I know it isn't exactly North
        South
        > etc. (Architects call things "plan north". So in the middle of the
        > night I know where the hammock is but I can't remember how it or the
        > guy lines are placed until I trip over them (literally). It is part
        of
        > a minor learning disability.
        >
        > I always!! give directions North South, I don't know left from right
        > in any consistent manner unless I am facing north. I almost flunked
        my
        > driving test here and in England because of that. Winding English
        > streets drove me nuts for two years. I really like the way Brigham
        > Young planned out the Salt Lake Valley, Cartesian coordinate system,
        > and the mountains are always to the east for a reference. Jerry and
        > Kate would have to try real hard to get lost in Salt Lake.
        > Ralph
        >

        > On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:17:12 -0500, Shane <shane@t...> wrote:
        > > > Shane when you give or get directions do you do Right- Left or
        do you
        > > > do North-South etc. ? Serious question, really. And it might
        apply

        > > Both. It depends on the context... I will tend to use
        north/south when I
        > > can. What does it mean?
        > >

        > > Shane

      • Shane
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
            > Why don't you like triptease?

            I actually don't like it for several reasons, which I have noted from past
            experience. One, it's too strong. With a breaking strength of 188 lb (85
            kg) it's stronger than any tarp's tear strength. Plain white nylon string
            would work just fine, and has worked for me many times. Two, it's too
            heavy. Again, inch for inch, white nylon string is lighter and every bit as
            functional. Three, it's hard to see at night. Sure, it reflects your
            flashlight or headlamp, but if you're like me and don't use a light while
            you're stalking around in the dark, a plain white cord is a lot easier to
            see. Four, it's too expensive.

            Shane
          • Jerry Goller
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
              Message
              I use 2mm utility cord from Black Diamond. They, naturally, have a store in SLC.
              Jerry

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
                Shane,

                I don't worry to much about the 188 lb breaking strength. I figure
                that is new cord without knots or sharp bends-- like around tent
                stakes. It is pretty light weight compared to comparable strength
                cord. Guyline stretch is a big issue for me when I use a tarp
                suspended above a hammock and I suspect that guyline stretch in
                general is proportional to the ratio of the loading on the guyline to
                the breaking strength of the guyline but I don't know for sure this
                is a big enough factor to be of concern.

                One biggy for me is that triptease (or spectra pulse cord) does not
                stretch like nylon cord when it gets wet. I have compared the slack
                with a roughly 8'x10' tarp I was using for my hammock by rigging it
                up one rainy night with braided nylon utility cord and the next rainy
                night with the low stretch triptease or spectra pulse line. The
                difference in the slack was dramatic. Now, this configuration used a
                lot of cord so it emphasised the stretch much more than what a tarp
                pitched for ground dwellers would experience. I think I tied it
                about 6 feet above the ground with trees spaced about 15'. I used
                three guylines on each side with about 7' of guyline to the ground
                stakes. I wished I had taken photos.

                Youngblood

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
                > > Why don't you like triptease?
                >
                > I actually don't like it for several reasons, which I have noted
                from past
                > experience. One, it's too strong. With a breaking strength of 188
                lb (85
                > kg) it's stronger than any tarp's tear strength. Plain white nylon
                string
                > would work just fine, and has worked for me many times. Two, it's
                too
                > heavy. Again, inch for inch, white nylon string is lighter and
                every bit as
                > functional. Three, it's hard to see at night. Sure, it reflects
                your
                > flashlight or headlamp, but if you're like me and don't use a light
                while
                > you're stalking around in the dark, a plain white cord is a lot
                easier to
                > see. Four, it's too expensive.
                >
                > Shane
              • stumplug
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
                  I don't use tie-outs on my HH Exp. in the common mode. I have an old
                  small bore tent flexpole, five sections (ten feet) and bow it
                  underneath, tying the canopy to the top (near the ends) and the
                  hammock ties about eighteen inches down. The obvious advantage is
                  nothing to trip over and I enjoy the swinging sensation. In the wind
                  it has a tendacy to 'kite' over so I take a tarp tie vertical to a
                  stake on the windward side.
                  Works for me and I know most hammock campers have an old tent or two
                  in the shed.