Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: triptease

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
      Shane when you give or get directions do you do Right- Left or do you
      do North-South etc. ? Serious question, really. And it might apply

      Ralph

      On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:11:46 -0500, Shane <shane@...> wrote:
      > > Only #4 worked. But then I tripped over them (twice) when I was up in
      > > the middle of the night (getting old). :]
      > > Next time I'll look for a place more out of the way place as #5
      >
      > I just don't get it. I never trip on my own guy wires - and I frequently
      > walk around in the dark. I know that they're there....
      >
      > I don't like tripteaze. White nylon is the easiest thing to see at night,
      > but I haven't used it in years.
      >
      > Shane

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
        Local or inertial frame of reference (in physics terms). I locate the
        guy wires as they are in the greater environment, you might locate
        them in relation to the hammock. I always visualize things as
        orthogonally oriented even though I know it isn't exactly North South
        etc. (Architects call things "plan north". So in the middle of the
        night I know where the hammock is but I can't remember how it or the
        guy lines are placed until I trip over them (literally). It is part of
        a minor learning disability.

        I always!! give directions North South, I don't know left from right
        in any consistent manner unless I am facing north. I almost flunked my
        driving test here and in England because of that. Winding English
        streets drove me nuts for two years. I really like the way Brigham
        Young planned out the Salt Lake Valley, Cartesian coordinate system,
        and the mountains are always to the east for a reference. Jerry and
        Kate would have to try real hard to get lost in Salt Lake.
        Ralph

        On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:17:12 -0500, Shane <shane@...> wrote:
        > > Shane when you give or get directions do you do Right- Left or do you
        > > do North-South etc. ? Serious question, really. And it might apply
        >
        > Both. It depends on the context... I will tend to use north/south when I
        > can. What does it mean?
        >

        > Shane

      • uluheman
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
          I have a good friend who cannot tell left from right, and,
          apparently, it's not that uncommon.

          Also, there are other frames of reference around the world, which may
          be of interest to hikers. Here on Oahu, it is highly uncommon to use
          compass directions. Almost universally, directions are given in terms
          of mauka (toward the mountains, which generally means towards the
          center of an island) and makai (toward the ocean). Local towns or
          landmarks are used to specify circumferential movement. Thus, one
          might need to go "five blocks mauka and one block Diamond Head" to
          get to a certain destination. It's basically a polar coordinate
          system.

          Furthermore, the mountains are so scored by deep valleys with steep
          walls and narrow ridgelines that it's usually impossible to follow a
          compass bearing. My impression is that most of us who spend a lot of
          time in our mountains think spatially in terms of a network of
          existing or potential pathways rather than a continuous Cartesian
          plane.

          Nevertheless, I've been known to trip over my guylines.

          Aloha,

          Brandon in Honolulu

          > Local or inertial frame of reference (in physics terms). I locate
          the
          > guy wires as they are in the greater environment, you might locate
          > them in relation to the hammock. I always visualize things as
          > orthogonally oriented even though I know it isn't exactly North
          South
          > etc. (Architects call things "plan north". So in the middle of the
          > night I know where the hammock is but I can't remember how it or the
          > guy lines are placed until I trip over them (literally). It is part
          of
          > a minor learning disability.
          >
          > I always!! give directions North South, I don't know left from right
          > in any consistent manner unless I am facing north. I almost flunked
          my
          > driving test here and in England because of that. Winding English
          > streets drove me nuts for two years. I really like the way Brigham
          > Young planned out the Salt Lake Valley, Cartesian coordinate system,
          > and the mountains are always to the east for a reference. Jerry and
          > Kate would have to try real hard to get lost in Salt Lake.
          > Ralph
          >

          > On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:17:12 -0500, Shane <shane@t...> wrote:
          > > > Shane when you give or get directions do you do Right- Left or
          do you
          > > > do North-South etc. ? Serious question, really. And it might
          apply

          > > Both. It depends on the context... I will tend to use
          north/south when I
          > > can. What does it mean?
          > >

          > > Shane

        • Shane
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
              > Why don't you like triptease?

              I actually don't like it for several reasons, which I have noted from past
              experience. One, it's too strong. With a breaking strength of 188 lb (85
              kg) it's stronger than any tarp's tear strength. Plain white nylon string
              would work just fine, and has worked for me many times. Two, it's too
              heavy. Again, inch for inch, white nylon string is lighter and every bit as
              functional. Three, it's hard to see at night. Sure, it reflects your
              flashlight or headlamp, but if you're like me and don't use a light while
              you're stalking around in the dark, a plain white cord is a lot easier to
              see. Four, it's too expensive.

              Shane
            • Jerry Goller
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
                Message
                I use 2mm utility cord from Black Diamond. They, naturally, have a store in SLC.
                Jerry

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
                  Shane,

                  I don't worry to much about the 188 lb breaking strength. I figure
                  that is new cord without knots or sharp bends-- like around tent
                  stakes. It is pretty light weight compared to comparable strength
                  cord. Guyline stretch is a big issue for me when I use a tarp
                  suspended above a hammock and I suspect that guyline stretch in
                  general is proportional to the ratio of the loading on the guyline to
                  the breaking strength of the guyline but I don't know for sure this
                  is a big enough factor to be of concern.

                  One biggy for me is that triptease (or spectra pulse cord) does not
                  stretch like nylon cord when it gets wet. I have compared the slack
                  with a roughly 8'x10' tarp I was using for my hammock by rigging it
                  up one rainy night with braided nylon utility cord and the next rainy
                  night with the low stretch triptease or spectra pulse line. The
                  difference in the slack was dramatic. Now, this configuration used a
                  lot of cord so it emphasised the stretch much more than what a tarp
                  pitched for ground dwellers would experience. I think I tied it
                  about 6 feet above the ground with trees spaced about 15'. I used
                  three guylines on each side with about 7' of guyline to the ground
                  stakes. I wished I had taken photos.

                  Youngblood

                  --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
                  > > Why don't you like triptease?
                  >
                  > I actually don't like it for several reasons, which I have noted
                  from past
                  > experience. One, it's too strong. With a breaking strength of 188
                  lb (85
                  > kg) it's stronger than any tarp's tear strength. Plain white nylon
                  string
                  > would work just fine, and has worked for me many times. Two, it's
                  too
                  > heavy. Again, inch for inch, white nylon string is lighter and
                  every bit as
                  > functional. Three, it's hard to see at night. Sure, it reflects
                  your
                  > flashlight or headlamp, but if you're like me and don't use a light
                  while
                  > you're stalking around in the dark, a plain white cord is a lot
                  easier to
                  > see. Four, it's too expensive.
                  >
                  > Shane
                • stumplug
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
                    I don't use tie-outs on my HH Exp. in the common mode. I have an old
                    small bore tent flexpole, five sections (ten feet) and bow it
                    underneath, tying the canopy to the top (near the ends) and the
                    hammock ties about eighteen inches down. The obvious advantage is
                    nothing to trip over and I enjoy the swinging sensation. In the wind
                    it has a tendacy to 'kite' over so I take a tarp tie vertical to a
                    stake on the windward side.
                    Works for me and I know most hammock campers have an old tent or two
                    in the shed.