Re: triptease

    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
      That has been my experience with Kelty's triptease cord also. It
      lights up like a lazer beam if you illuminate it from a distance but
      it doesn't really show up any better than a light colored guy line
      from up close. I think it doesn't help the trip-over problem as much
      as it helps you find your way back in the dark. It is excellent guy
      line in that it is strong, light weight and doesn't stretch much, if
      at all.

      However, it is rather expensive. Recently I have been using the less
      expensive 1/16" pulse line that Ed Speers recommends in his book. Ed
      sells it and so does my local West Marine. It is less expensive than
      the triptease cord, is neon orange or pink and is pretty much
      equivalent for guyline purposes the the triptease, except it doesn't
      light up when you illuminate it from a distance. I think the
      triptease goes for around $15 for a 50 ft package and the 1/16" pulse
      line goes for around $22 for a 120 ft spool.

      Youngblood

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
        Shane when you give or get directions do you do Right- Left or do you
        do North-South etc. ? Serious question, really. And it might apply

        Ralph

        On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:11:46 -0500, Shane <shane@...> wrote:
        > > Only #4 worked. But then I tripped over them (twice) when I was up in
        > > the middle of the night (getting old). :]
        > > Next time I'll look for a place more out of the way place as #5
        >
        > I just don't get it. I never trip on my own guy wires - and I frequently
        > walk around in the dark. I know that they're there....
        >
        > I don't like tripteaze. White nylon is the easiest thing to see at night,
        > but I haven't used it in years.
        >
        > Shane

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
          Local or inertial frame of reference (in physics terms). I locate the
          guy wires as they are in the greater environment, you might locate
          them in relation to the hammock. I always visualize things as
          orthogonally oriented even though I know it isn't exactly North South
          etc. (Architects call things "plan north". So in the middle of the
          night I know where the hammock is but I can't remember how it or the
          guy lines are placed until I trip over them (literally). It is part of
          a minor learning disability.

          I always!! give directions North South, I don't know left from right
          in any consistent manner unless I am facing north. I almost flunked my
          driving test here and in England because of that. Winding English
          streets drove me nuts for two years. I really like the way Brigham
          Young planned out the Salt Lake Valley, Cartesian coordinate system,
          and the mountains are always to the east for a reference. Jerry and
          Kate would have to try real hard to get lost in Salt Lake.
          Ralph

          On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:17:12 -0500, Shane <shane@...> wrote:
          > > Shane when you give or get directions do you do Right- Left or do you
          > > do North-South etc. ? Serious question, really. And it might apply
          >
          > Both. It depends on the context... I will tend to use north/south when I
          > can. What does it mean?
          >

          > Shane

        • uluheman
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
            I have a good friend who cannot tell left from right, and,
            apparently, it's not that uncommon.

            Also, there are other frames of reference around the world, which may
            be of interest to hikers. Here on Oahu, it is highly uncommon to use
            compass directions. Almost universally, directions are given in terms
            of mauka (toward the mountains, which generally means towards the
            center of an island) and makai (toward the ocean). Local towns or
            landmarks are used to specify circumferential movement. Thus, one
            might need to go "five blocks mauka and one block Diamond Head" to
            get to a certain destination. It's basically a polar coordinate
            system.

            Furthermore, the mountains are so scored by deep valleys with steep
            walls and narrow ridgelines that it's usually impossible to follow a
            compass bearing. My impression is that most of us who spend a lot of
            time in our mountains think spatially in terms of a network of
            existing or potential pathways rather than a continuous Cartesian
            plane.

            Nevertheless, I've been known to trip over my guylines.

            Aloha,

            Brandon in Honolulu

            > Local or inertial frame of reference (in physics terms). I locate
            the
            > guy wires as they are in the greater environment, you might locate
            > them in relation to the hammock. I always visualize things as
            > orthogonally oriented even though I know it isn't exactly North
            South
            > etc. (Architects call things "plan north". So in the middle of the
            > night I know where the hammock is but I can't remember how it or the
            > guy lines are placed until I trip over them (literally). It is part
            of
            > a minor learning disability.
            >
            > I always!! give directions North South, I don't know left from right
            > in any consistent manner unless I am facing north. I almost flunked
            my
            > driving test here and in England because of that. Winding English
            > streets drove me nuts for two years. I really like the way Brigham
            > Young planned out the Salt Lake Valley, Cartesian coordinate system,
            > and the mountains are always to the east for a reference. Jerry and
            > Kate would have to try real hard to get lost in Salt Lake.
            > Ralph
            >

            > On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:17:12 -0500, Shane <shane@t...> wrote:
            > > > Shane when you give or get directions do you do Right- Left or
            do you
            > > > do North-South etc. ? Serious question, really. And it might
            apply

            > > Both. It depends on the context... I will tend to use
            north/south when I
            > > can. What does it mean?
            > >

            > > Shane

          • Shane
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004

              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
                  > Why don't you like triptease?

                  I actually don't like it for several reasons, which I have noted from past
                  experience. One, it's too strong. With a breaking strength of 188 lb (85
                  kg) it's stronger than any tarp's tear strength. Plain white nylon string
                  would work just fine, and has worked for me many times. Two, it's too
                  heavy. Again, inch for inch, white nylon string is lighter and every bit as
                  functional. Three, it's hard to see at night. Sure, it reflects your
                  flashlight or headlamp, but if you're like me and don't use a light while
                  you're stalking around in the dark, a plain white cord is a lot easier to
                  see. Four, it's too expensive.

                  Shane
                • Jerry Goller
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
                    Message
                    I use 2mm utility cord from Black Diamond. They, naturally, have a store in SLC.
                    Jerry

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
                      Shane,

                      I don't worry to much about the 188 lb breaking strength. I figure
                      that is new cord without knots or sharp bends-- like around tent
                      stakes. It is pretty light weight compared to comparable strength
                      cord. Guyline stretch is a big issue for me when I use a tarp
                      suspended above a hammock and I suspect that guyline stretch in
                      general is proportional to the ratio of the loading on the guyline to
                      the breaking strength of the guyline but I don't know for sure this
                      is a big enough factor to be of concern.

                      One biggy for me is that triptease (or spectra pulse cord) does not
                      stretch like nylon cord when it gets wet. I have compared the slack
                      with a roughly 8'x10' tarp I was using for my hammock by rigging it
                      up one rainy night with braided nylon utility cord and the next rainy
                      night with the low stretch triptease or spectra pulse line. The
                      difference in the slack was dramatic. Now, this configuration used a
                      lot of cord so it emphasised the stretch much more than what a tarp
                      pitched for ground dwellers would experience. I think I tied it
                      about 6 feet above the ground with trees spaced about 15'. I used
                      three guylines on each side with about 7' of guyline to the ground
                      stakes. I wished I had taken photos.

                      Youngblood

                      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
                      > > Why don't you like triptease?
                      >
                      > I actually don't like it for several reasons, which I have noted
                      from past
                      > experience. One, it's too strong. With a breaking strength of 188
                      lb (85
                      > kg) it's stronger than any tarp's tear strength. Plain white nylon
                      string
                      > would work just fine, and has worked for me many times. Two, it's
                      too
                      > heavy. Again, inch for inch, white nylon string is lighter and
                      every bit as
                      > functional. Three, it's hard to see at night. Sure, it reflects
                      your
                      > flashlight or headlamp, but if you're like me and don't use a light
                      while
                      > you're stalking around in the dark, a plain white cord is a lot
                      easier to
                      > see. Four, it's too expensive.
                      >
                      > Shane
                    • stumplug
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
                        I don't use tie-outs on my HH Exp. in the common mode. I have an old
                        small bore tent flexpole, five sections (ten feet) and bow it
                        underneath, tying the canopy to the top (near the ends) and the
                        hammock ties about eighteen inches down. The obvious advantage is
                        nothing to trip over and I enjoy the swinging sensation. In the wind
                        it has a tendacy to 'kite' over so I take a tarp tie vertical to a
                        stake on the windward side.
                        Works for me and I know most hammock campers have an old tent or two
                        in the shed.