Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: triptease

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
      With my scouts, I decided:
      1) use orange 1/16 in lines
      2) yell and warn the kids they are there
      3) put brush where the stakes are
      4) not put out the guy lines until everyone else was down.

      Only #4 worked. But then I tripped over them (twice) when I was up in
      the middle of the night (getting old). :]
      Next time I'll look for a place more out of the way place as #5

      Ralph

      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
        That has been my experience with Kelty's triptease cord also. It
        lights up like a lazer beam if you illuminate it from a distance but
        it doesn't really show up any better than a light colored guy line
        from up close. I think it doesn't help the trip-over problem as much
        as it helps you find your way back in the dark. It is excellent guy
        line in that it is strong, light weight and doesn't stretch much, if
        at all.

        However, it is rather expensive. Recently I have been using the less
        expensive 1/16" pulse line that Ed Speers recommends in his book. Ed
        sells it and so does my local West Marine. It is less expensive than
        the triptease cord, is neon orange or pink and is pretty much
        equivalent for guyline purposes the the triptease, except it doesn't
        light up when you illuminate it from a distance. I think the
        triptease goes for around $15 for a 50 ft package and the 1/16" pulse
        line goes for around $22 for a 120 ft spool.

        Youngblood

      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
          Shane when you give or get directions do you do Right- Left or do you
          do North-South etc. ? Serious question, really. And it might apply

          Ralph

          On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:11:46 -0500, Shane <shane@...> wrote:
          > > Only #4 worked. But then I tripped over them (twice) when I was up in
          > > the middle of the night (getting old). :]
          > > Next time I'll look for a place more out of the way place as #5
          >
          > I just don't get it. I never trip on my own guy wires - and I frequently
          > walk around in the dark. I know that they're there....
          >
          > I don't like tripteaze. White nylon is the easiest thing to see at night,
          > but I haven't used it in years.
          >
          > Shane

        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
            Local or inertial frame of reference (in physics terms). I locate the
            guy wires as they are in the greater environment, you might locate
            them in relation to the hammock. I always visualize things as
            orthogonally oriented even though I know it isn't exactly North South
            etc. (Architects call things "plan north". So in the middle of the
            night I know where the hammock is but I can't remember how it or the
            guy lines are placed until I trip over them (literally). It is part of
            a minor learning disability.

            I always!! give directions North South, I don't know left from right
            in any consistent manner unless I am facing north. I almost flunked my
            driving test here and in England because of that. Winding English
            streets drove me nuts for two years. I really like the way Brigham
            Young planned out the Salt Lake Valley, Cartesian coordinate system,
            and the mountains are always to the east for a reference. Jerry and
            Kate would have to try real hard to get lost in Salt Lake.
            Ralph

            On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:17:12 -0500, Shane <shane@...> wrote:
            > > Shane when you give or get directions do you do Right- Left or do you
            > > do North-South etc. ? Serious question, really. And it might apply
            >
            > Both. It depends on the context... I will tend to use north/south when I
            > can. What does it mean?
            >

            > Shane

          • uluheman
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
              I have a good friend who cannot tell left from right, and,
              apparently, it's not that uncommon.

              Also, there are other frames of reference around the world, which may
              be of interest to hikers. Here on Oahu, it is highly uncommon to use
              compass directions. Almost universally, directions are given in terms
              of mauka (toward the mountains, which generally means towards the
              center of an island) and makai (toward the ocean). Local towns or
              landmarks are used to specify circumferential movement. Thus, one
              might need to go "five blocks mauka and one block Diamond Head" to
              get to a certain destination. It's basically a polar coordinate
              system.

              Furthermore, the mountains are so scored by deep valleys with steep
              walls and narrow ridgelines that it's usually impossible to follow a
              compass bearing. My impression is that most of us who spend a lot of
              time in our mountains think spatially in terms of a network of
              existing or potential pathways rather than a continuous Cartesian
              plane.

              Nevertheless, I've been known to trip over my guylines.

              Aloha,

              Brandon in Honolulu

              > Local or inertial frame of reference (in physics terms). I locate
              the
              > guy wires as they are in the greater environment, you might locate
              > them in relation to the hammock. I always visualize things as
              > orthogonally oriented even though I know it isn't exactly North
              South
              > etc. (Architects call things "plan north". So in the middle of the
              > night I know where the hammock is but I can't remember how it or the
              > guy lines are placed until I trip over them (literally). It is part
              of
              > a minor learning disability.
              >
              > I always!! give directions North South, I don't know left from right
              > in any consistent manner unless I am facing north. I almost flunked
              my
              > driving test here and in England because of that. Winding English
              > streets drove me nuts for two years. I really like the way Brigham
              > Young planned out the Salt Lake Valley, Cartesian coordinate system,
              > and the mountains are always to the east for a reference. Jerry and
              > Kate would have to try real hard to get lost in Salt Lake.
              > Ralph
              >

              > On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:17:12 -0500, Shane <shane@t...> wrote:
              > > > Shane when you give or get directions do you do Right- Left or
              do you
              > > > do North-South etc. ? Serious question, really. And it might
              apply

              > > Both. It depends on the context... I will tend to use
              north/south when I
              > > can. What does it mean?
              > >

              > > Shane

            • Shane
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004

                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
                    > Why don't you like triptease?

                    I actually don't like it for several reasons, which I have noted from past
                    experience. One, it's too strong. With a breaking strength of 188 lb (85
                    kg) it's stronger than any tarp's tear strength. Plain white nylon string
                    would work just fine, and has worked for me many times. Two, it's too
                    heavy. Again, inch for inch, white nylon string is lighter and every bit as
                    functional. Three, it's hard to see at night. Sure, it reflects your
                    flashlight or headlamp, but if you're like me and don't use a light while
                    you're stalking around in the dark, a plain white cord is a lot easier to
                    see. Four, it's too expensive.

                    Shane
                  • Jerry Goller
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
                      Message
                      I use 2mm utility cord from Black Diamond. They, naturally, have a store in SLC.
                      Jerry

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
                        Shane,

                        I don't worry to much about the 188 lb breaking strength. I figure
                        that is new cord without knots or sharp bends-- like around tent
                        stakes. It is pretty light weight compared to comparable strength
                        cord. Guyline stretch is a big issue for me when I use a tarp
                        suspended above a hammock and I suspect that guyline stretch in
                        general is proportional to the ratio of the loading on the guyline to
                        the breaking strength of the guyline but I don't know for sure this
                        is a big enough factor to be of concern.

                        One biggy for me is that triptease (or spectra pulse cord) does not
                        stretch like nylon cord when it gets wet. I have compared the slack
                        with a roughly 8'x10' tarp I was using for my hammock by rigging it
                        up one rainy night with braided nylon utility cord and the next rainy
                        night with the low stretch triptease or spectra pulse line. The
                        difference in the slack was dramatic. Now, this configuration used a
                        lot of cord so it emphasised the stretch much more than what a tarp
                        pitched for ground dwellers would experience. I think I tied it
                        about 6 feet above the ground with trees spaced about 15'. I used
                        three guylines on each side with about 7' of guyline to the ground
                        stakes. I wished I had taken photos.

                        Youngblood

                        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
                        > > Why don't you like triptease?
                        >
                        > I actually don't like it for several reasons, which I have noted
                        from past
                        > experience. One, it's too strong. With a breaking strength of 188
                        lb (85
                        > kg) it's stronger than any tarp's tear strength. Plain white nylon
                        string
                        > would work just fine, and has worked for me many times. Two, it's
                        too
                        > heavy. Again, inch for inch, white nylon string is lighter and
                        every bit as
                        > functional. Three, it's hard to see at night. Sure, it reflects
                        your
                        > flashlight or headlamp, but if you're like me and don't use a light
                        while
                        > you're stalking around in the dark, a plain white cord is a lot
                        easier to
                        > see. Four, it's too expensive.
                        >
                        > Shane
                      • stumplug
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
                          I don't use tie-outs on my HH Exp. in the common mode. I have an old
                          small bore tent flexpole, five sections (ten feet) and bow it
                          underneath, tying the canopy to the top (near the ends) and the
                          hammock ties about eighteen inches down. The obvious advantage is
                          nothing to trip over and I enjoy the swinging sensation. In the wind
                          it has a tendacy to 'kite' over so I take a tarp tie vertical to a
                          stake on the windward side.
                          Works for me and I know most hammock campers have an old tent or two
                          in the shed.