Re: [Hammock Camping] My Simple Hammock Hints...And My Underquilt Problem....

    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004
      Shane wrote:

      >>1. I have placed a wrap of silver duct tape on the "foot" end of the
      >>hammock main line. Since I have snakeskins for the hammock, this
      >>allows me to determine right away (without unravelling the
      >>snakeskins) which end of the hammock is which.
      >>

      >I always just tie a little knot in the end of the foot-end rope when I take
      >it down.

      It must be nicer than I thought not to have a head end of the hammock.
      This also gets the whole hammock used equally.

      Risk
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004
        Shane wrote:

        >>>I always just tie a little knot in the end of the foot-end rope when I
        >>>

        >take
        >

        >>>it down.
        >>>

        >>It must be nicer than I thought not to have a head end of the hammock.
        >>This also gets the whole hammock used equally.
        >>

        >Long before I got a Hennessy, I always had a foot end and a head end. I
        >never wanted to sleep with my face where my feet were the night before.
        >
        >Shane

        On my drive home yesterday from the trail, I found a little piece of
        black grit in my ear. I wondered where it had come from.

        Seriously, I have never given it a thought. I never put my shoes into
        the hammock, and do a pretty good job of keeping clean on the trail,
        both head and foot. I must admit that I have never smelled dirty foot
        odor when lying down. I do wash my hammock every few outings, which has
        become much easier since I began whipping the ends instead of tying them.

        Risk
      • Shane
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004

        • jonas4321@juno.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 3, 2004
            On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 16:59:15 -0400 Rick <ra1@...> writes:

            > I do wash my hammock every few outings, which
            > has become much easier since I began whipping the ends instead of tying

            > them.

            I have not tried the whipping method, but I had to take my hammock
            "apart" today to dry it out, and I was VERY happy with how easy it was to
            get the double sheet bend out of the hammock/webbing (even while the
            tubular nylon webbing was soaked). I am totally sold on it as an end
            knot., as it uses up very little material. The pics I put up last week
            are the very knots I had to untie today. They had been in there for about
            a half-dozen nights of use (and lots of tests).

            Now that they are out, I am going to make little "hammock huggers" using
            this knot and polypro webbing, and then use rope between that and my tree
            straps. Leaving your fly loose just before a storm is stupid, but it sure
            enables the "improvements"!

            Get your name as your email address.