Re: triptease

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
      I bought reflective guy-lines from Europe Bound here on Ontario.
      For 50 feet it was about 5 bucks. Its yellow and striped with some
      type of silver foil. Works pretty good. Much better than the black
      lines that come standard with the HH.
    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
        With my scouts, I decided:
        1) use orange 1/16 in lines
        2) yell and warn the kids they are there
        3) put brush where the stakes are
        4) not put out the guy lines until everyone else was down.

        Only #4 worked. But then I tripped over them (twice) when I was up in
        the middle of the night (getting old). :]
        Next time I'll look for a place more out of the way place as #5

        Ralph

        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
          That has been my experience with Kelty's triptease cord also. It
          lights up like a lazer beam if you illuminate it from a distance but
          it doesn't really show up any better than a light colored guy line
          from up close. I think it doesn't help the trip-over problem as much
          as it helps you find your way back in the dark. It is excellent guy
          line in that it is strong, light weight and doesn't stretch much, if
          at all.

          However, it is rather expensive. Recently I have been using the less
          expensive 1/16" pulse line that Ed Speers recommends in his book. Ed
          sells it and so does my local West Marine. It is less expensive than
          the triptease cord, is neon orange or pink and is pretty much
          equivalent for guyline purposes the the triptease, except it doesn't
          light up when you illuminate it from a distance. I think the
          triptease goes for around $15 for a 50 ft package and the 1/16" pulse
          line goes for around $22 for a 120 ft spool.

          Youngblood

        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
            Shane when you give or get directions do you do Right- Left or do you
            do North-South etc. ? Serious question, really. And it might apply

            Ralph

            On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:11:46 -0500, Shane <shane@...> wrote:
            > > Only #4 worked. But then I tripped over them (twice) when I was up in
            > > the middle of the night (getting old). :]
            > > Next time I'll look for a place more out of the way place as #5
            >
            > I just don't get it. I never trip on my own guy wires - and I frequently
            > walk around in the dark. I know that they're there....
            >
            > I don't like tripteaze. White nylon is the easiest thing to see at night,
            > but I haven't used it in years.
            >
            > Shane

          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
              Local or inertial frame of reference (in physics terms). I locate the
              guy wires as they are in the greater environment, you might locate
              them in relation to the hammock. I always visualize things as
              orthogonally oriented even though I know it isn't exactly North South
              etc. (Architects call things "plan north". So in the middle of the
              night I know where the hammock is but I can't remember how it or the
              guy lines are placed until I trip over them (literally). It is part of
              a minor learning disability.

              I always!! give directions North South, I don't know left from right
              in any consistent manner unless I am facing north. I almost flunked my
              driving test here and in England because of that. Winding English
              streets drove me nuts for two years. I really like the way Brigham
              Young planned out the Salt Lake Valley, Cartesian coordinate system,
              and the mountains are always to the east for a reference. Jerry and
              Kate would have to try real hard to get lost in Salt Lake.
              Ralph

              On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:17:12 -0500, Shane <shane@...> wrote:
              > > Shane when you give or get directions do you do Right- Left or do you
              > > do North-South etc. ? Serious question, really. And it might apply
              >
              > Both. It depends on the context... I will tend to use north/south when I
              > can. What does it mean?
              >

              > Shane

            • uluheman
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
                I have a good friend who cannot tell left from right, and,
                apparently, it's not that uncommon.

                Also, there are other frames of reference around the world, which may
                be of interest to hikers. Here on Oahu, it is highly uncommon to use
                compass directions. Almost universally, directions are given in terms
                of mauka (toward the mountains, which generally means towards the
                center of an island) and makai (toward the ocean). Local towns or
                landmarks are used to specify circumferential movement. Thus, one
                might need to go "five blocks mauka and one block Diamond Head" to
                get to a certain destination. It's basically a polar coordinate
                system.

                Furthermore, the mountains are so scored by deep valleys with steep
                walls and narrow ridgelines that it's usually impossible to follow a
                compass bearing. My impression is that most of us who spend a lot of
                time in our mountains think spatially in terms of a network of
                existing or potential pathways rather than a continuous Cartesian
                plane.

                Nevertheless, I've been known to trip over my guylines.

                Aloha,

                Brandon in Honolulu

                > Local or inertial frame of reference (in physics terms). I locate
                the
                > guy wires as they are in the greater environment, you might locate
                > them in relation to the hammock. I always visualize things as
                > orthogonally oriented even though I know it isn't exactly North
                South
                > etc. (Architects call things "plan north". So in the middle of the
                > night I know where the hammock is but I can't remember how it or the
                > guy lines are placed until I trip over them (literally). It is part
                of
                > a minor learning disability.
                >
                > I always!! give directions North South, I don't know left from right
                > in any consistent manner unless I am facing north. I almost flunked
                my
                > driving test here and in England because of that. Winding English
                > streets drove me nuts for two years. I really like the way Brigham
                > Young planned out the Salt Lake Valley, Cartesian coordinate system,
                > and the mountains are always to the east for a reference. Jerry and
                > Kate would have to try real hard to get lost in Salt Lake.
                > Ralph
                >

                > On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:17:12 -0500, Shane <shane@t...> wrote:
                > > > Shane when you give or get directions do you do Right- Left or
                do you
                > > > do North-South etc. ? Serious question, really. And it might
                apply

                > > Both. It depends on the context... I will tend to use
                north/south when I
                > > can. What does it mean?
                > >

                > > Shane

              • Shane
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004

                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
                      > Why don't you like triptease?

                      I actually don't like it for several reasons, which I have noted from past
                      experience. One, it's too strong. With a breaking strength of 188 lb (85
                      kg) it's stronger than any tarp's tear strength. Plain white nylon string
                      would work just fine, and has worked for me many times. Two, it's too
                      heavy. Again, inch for inch, white nylon string is lighter and every bit as
                      functional. Three, it's hard to see at night. Sure, it reflects your
                      flashlight or headlamp, but if you're like me and don't use a light while
                      you're stalking around in the dark, a plain white cord is a lot easier to
                      see. Four, it's too expensive.

                      Shane
                    • Jerry Goller
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
                        Message
                        I use 2mm utility cord from Black Diamond. They, naturally, have a store in SLC.
                        Jerry

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
                          Shane,

                          I don't worry to much about the 188 lb breaking strength. I figure
                          that is new cord without knots or sharp bends-- like around tent
                          stakes. It is pretty light weight compared to comparable strength
                          cord. Guyline stretch is a big issue for me when I use a tarp
                          suspended above a hammock and I suspect that guyline stretch in
                          general is proportional to the ratio of the loading on the guyline to
                          the breaking strength of the guyline but I don't know for sure this
                          is a big enough factor to be of concern.

                          One biggy for me is that triptease (or spectra pulse cord) does not
                          stretch like nylon cord when it gets wet. I have compared the slack
                          with a roughly 8'x10' tarp I was using for my hammock by rigging it
                          up one rainy night with braided nylon utility cord and the next rainy
                          night with the low stretch triptease or spectra pulse line. The
                          difference in the slack was dramatic. Now, this configuration used a
                          lot of cord so it emphasised the stretch much more than what a tarp
                          pitched for ground dwellers would experience. I think I tied it
                          about 6 feet above the ground with trees spaced about 15'. I used
                          three guylines on each side with about 7' of guyline to the ground
                          stakes. I wished I had taken photos.

                          Youngblood

                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
                          > > Why don't you like triptease?
                          >
                          > I actually don't like it for several reasons, which I have noted
                          from past
                          > experience. One, it's too strong. With a breaking strength of 188
                          lb (85
                          > kg) it's stronger than any tarp's tear strength. Plain white nylon
                          string
                          > would work just fine, and has worked for me many times. Two, it's
                          too
                          > heavy. Again, inch for inch, white nylon string is lighter and
                          every bit as
                          > functional. Three, it's hard to see at night. Sure, it reflects
                          your
                          > flashlight or headlamp, but if you're like me and don't use a light
                          while
                          > you're stalking around in the dark, a plain white cord is a lot
                          easier to
                          > see. Four, it's too expensive.
                          >
                          > Shane
                        • stumplug
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
                            I don't use tie-outs on my HH Exp. in the common mode. I have an old
                            small bore tent flexpole, five sections (ten feet) and bow it
                            underneath, tying the canopy to the top (near the ends) and the
                            hammock ties about eighteen inches down. The obvious advantage is
                            nothing to trip over and I enjoy the swinging sensation. In the wind
                            it has a tendacy to 'kite' over so I take a tarp tie vertical to a
                            stake on the windward side.
                            Works for me and I know most hammock campers have an old tent or two
                            in the shed.