Re: triptease

  • zippydooda
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
      REI has little pink flamingoes you can put on your tent/guy stakes.
      Not kidding.

      Here's the deal. They are kids. They will trip on your guy lines no
      matter what. Sorry.

      If you buy the flamingoes, they will step on them.

      If you want to see the reflective effect better, stand farther away
      and hold the flashlight right up on the side of your head, next to
      your eye. The stuff they use is a highly directional reflector, as
      you will see.

      Thanks for camping with kids.

      Bill in Houston

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "neptunebeach"
      <neptunebeach@c...> wrote:
      > I use my HH Asym when camping with various scout groups. The black
      guys on
      > the pullouts and fly seem to attract little feet as soon as the sun
      goes
      > down. So I finally broke down and bought a length of Kelty
      Triptease to
      > replace the stock lines with something I expected to "glow-in-the-
      dark" or
      > at least reflect in the dark with a little flashlight light, which
      is
      > omnipresent at scout outings. To my amazement, this triptease
      doesn't seem
      > to be any more reflective than any other similarly colored line.
      In fact,
      > comparing a piece of white standard line and the triptease in a
      dark room, I
      > can see the white much better. Did I get defective triptease, or
      do do I
      > have the wrong expectations? What do others do to mark the extent
      of guy
      > lines?
      >
      > Rick in FL
    • Steve
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
        I bought reflective guy-lines from Europe Bound here on Ontario.
        For 50 feet it was about 5 bucks. Its yellow and striped with some
        type of silver foil. Works pretty good. Much better than the black
        lines that come standard with the HH.
      • Ralph Oborn
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
          With my scouts, I decided:
          1) use orange 1/16 in lines
          2) yell and warn the kids they are there
          3) put brush where the stakes are
          4) not put out the guy lines until everyone else was down.

          Only #4 worked. But then I tripped over them (twice) when I was up in
          the middle of the night (getting old). :]
          Next time I'll look for a place more out of the way place as #5

          Ralph

          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
            That has been my experience with Kelty's triptease cord also. It
            lights up like a lazer beam if you illuminate it from a distance but
            it doesn't really show up any better than a light colored guy line
            from up close. I think it doesn't help the trip-over problem as much
            as it helps you find your way back in the dark. It is excellent guy
            line in that it is strong, light weight and doesn't stretch much, if
            at all.

            However, it is rather expensive. Recently I have been using the less
            expensive 1/16" pulse line that Ed Speers recommends in his book. Ed
            sells it and so does my local West Marine. It is less expensive than
            the triptease cord, is neon orange or pink and is pretty much
            equivalent for guyline purposes the the triptease, except it doesn't
            light up when you illuminate it from a distance. I think the
            triptease goes for around $15 for a 50 ft package and the 1/16" pulse
            line goes for around $22 for a 120 ft spool.

            Youngblood

          • Ralph Oborn
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
              Shane when you give or get directions do you do Right- Left or do you
              do North-South etc. ? Serious question, really. And it might apply

              Ralph

              On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:11:46 -0500, Shane <shane@...> wrote:
              > > Only #4 worked. But then I tripped over them (twice) when I was up in
              > > the middle of the night (getting old). :]
              > > Next time I'll look for a place more out of the way place as #5
              >
              > I just don't get it. I never trip on my own guy wires - and I frequently
              > walk around in the dark. I know that they're there....
              >
              > I don't like tripteaze. White nylon is the easiest thing to see at night,
              > but I haven't used it in years.
              >
              > Shane

            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
                Local or inertial frame of reference (in physics terms). I locate the
                guy wires as they are in the greater environment, you might locate
                them in relation to the hammock. I always visualize things as
                orthogonally oriented even though I know it isn't exactly North South
                etc. (Architects call things "plan north". So in the middle of the
                night I know where the hammock is but I can't remember how it or the
                guy lines are placed until I trip over them (literally). It is part of
                a minor learning disability.

                I always!! give directions North South, I don't know left from right
                in any consistent manner unless I am facing north. I almost flunked my
                driving test here and in England because of that. Winding English
                streets drove me nuts for two years. I really like the way Brigham
                Young planned out the Salt Lake Valley, Cartesian coordinate system,
                and the mountains are always to the east for a reference. Jerry and
                Kate would have to try real hard to get lost in Salt Lake.
                Ralph

                On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:17:12 -0500, Shane <shane@...> wrote:
                > > Shane when you give or get directions do you do Right- Left or do you
                > > do North-South etc. ? Serious question, really. And it might apply
                >
                > Both. It depends on the context... I will tend to use north/south when I
                > can. What does it mean?
                >

                > Shane

              • uluheman
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
                  I have a good friend who cannot tell left from right, and,
                  apparently, it's not that uncommon.

                  Also, there are other frames of reference around the world, which may
                  be of interest to hikers. Here on Oahu, it is highly uncommon to use
                  compass directions. Almost universally, directions are given in terms
                  of mauka (toward the mountains, which generally means towards the
                  center of an island) and makai (toward the ocean). Local towns or
                  landmarks are used to specify circumferential movement. Thus, one
                  might need to go "five blocks mauka and one block Diamond Head" to
                  get to a certain destination. It's basically a polar coordinate
                  system.

                  Furthermore, the mountains are so scored by deep valleys with steep
                  walls and narrow ridgelines that it's usually impossible to follow a
                  compass bearing. My impression is that most of us who spend a lot of
                  time in our mountains think spatially in terms of a network of
                  existing or potential pathways rather than a continuous Cartesian
                  plane.

                  Nevertheless, I've been known to trip over my guylines.

                  Aloha,

                  Brandon in Honolulu

                  > Local or inertial frame of reference (in physics terms). I locate
                  the
                  > guy wires as they are in the greater environment, you might locate
                  > them in relation to the hammock. I always visualize things as
                  > orthogonally oriented even though I know it isn't exactly North
                  South
                  > etc. (Architects call things "plan north". So in the middle of the
                  > night I know where the hammock is but I can't remember how it or the
                  > guy lines are placed until I trip over them (literally). It is part
                  of
                  > a minor learning disability.
                  >
                  > I always!! give directions North South, I don't know left from right
                  > in any consistent manner unless I am facing north. I almost flunked
                  my
                  > driving test here and in England because of that. Winding English
                  > streets drove me nuts for two years. I really like the way Brigham
                  > Young planned out the Salt Lake Valley, Cartesian coordinate system,
                  > and the mountains are always to the east for a reference. Jerry and
                  > Kate would have to try real hard to get lost in Salt Lake.
                  > Ralph
                  >

                  > On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:17:12 -0500, Shane <shane@t...> wrote:
                  > > > Shane when you give or get directions do you do Right- Left or
                  do you
                  > > > do North-South etc. ? Serious question, really. And it might
                  apply

                  > > Both. It depends on the context... I will tend to use
                  north/south when I
                  > > can. What does it mean?
                  > >

                  > > Shane

                • Shane
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004

                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
                        > Why don't you like triptease?

                        I actually don't like it for several reasons, which I have noted from past
                        experience. One, it's too strong. With a breaking strength of 188 lb (85
                        kg) it's stronger than any tarp's tear strength. Plain white nylon string
                        would work just fine, and has worked for me many times. Two, it's too
                        heavy. Again, inch for inch, white nylon string is lighter and every bit as
                        functional. Three, it's hard to see at night. Sure, it reflects your
                        flashlight or headlamp, but if you're like me and don't use a light while
                        you're stalking around in the dark, a plain white cord is a lot easier to
                        see. Four, it's too expensive.

                        Shane
                      • Jerry Goller
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
                          Message
                          I use 2mm utility cord from Black Diamond. They, naturally, have a store in SLC.
                          Jerry

                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
                            Shane,

                            I don't worry to much about the 188 lb breaking strength. I figure
                            that is new cord without knots or sharp bends-- like around tent
                            stakes. It is pretty light weight compared to comparable strength
                            cord. Guyline stretch is a big issue for me when I use a tarp
                            suspended above a hammock and I suspect that guyline stretch in
                            general is proportional to the ratio of the loading on the guyline to
                            the breaking strength of the guyline but I don't know for sure this
                            is a big enough factor to be of concern.

                            One biggy for me is that triptease (or spectra pulse cord) does not
                            stretch like nylon cord when it gets wet. I have compared the slack
                            with a roughly 8'x10' tarp I was using for my hammock by rigging it
                            up one rainy night with braided nylon utility cord and the next rainy
                            night with the low stretch triptease or spectra pulse line. The
                            difference in the slack was dramatic. Now, this configuration used a
                            lot of cord so it emphasised the stretch much more than what a tarp
                            pitched for ground dwellers would experience. I think I tied it
                            about 6 feet above the ground with trees spaced about 15'. I used
                            three guylines on each side with about 7' of guyline to the ground
                            stakes. I wished I had taken photos.

                            Youngblood

                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
                            > > Why don't you like triptease?
                            >
                            > I actually don't like it for several reasons, which I have noted
                            from past
                            > experience. One, it's too strong. With a breaking strength of 188
                            lb (85
                            > kg) it's stronger than any tarp's tear strength. Plain white nylon
                            string
                            > would work just fine, and has worked for me many times. Two, it's
                            too
                            > heavy. Again, inch for inch, white nylon string is lighter and
                            every bit as
                            > functional. Three, it's hard to see at night. Sure, it reflects
                            your
                            > flashlight or headlamp, but if you're like me and don't use a light
                            while
                            > you're stalking around in the dark, a plain white cord is a lot
                            easier to
                            > see. Four, it's too expensive.
                            >
                            > Shane
                          • stumplug
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
                              I don't use tie-outs on my HH Exp. in the common mode. I have an old
                              small bore tent flexpole, five sections (ten feet) and bow it
                              underneath, tying the canopy to the top (near the ends) and the
                              hammock ties about eighteen inches down. The obvious advantage is
                              nothing to trip over and I enjoy the swinging sensation. In the wind
                              it has a tendacy to 'kite' over so I take a tarp tie vertical to a
                              stake on the windward side.
                              Works for me and I know most hammock campers have an old tent or two
                              in the shed.