triptease

  • neptunebeach
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
      I use my HH Asym when camping with various scout groups.  The black guys on the pullouts and fly seem to attract little feet as soon as the sun goes down.  So I finally broke down and bought a length of Kelty Triptease to replace the stock lines with something I expected to "glow-in-the-dark" or at least reflect in the dark with a little flashlight light, which is omnipresent at scout outings.  To my amazement, this triptease doesn't seem to be any more reflective than any other similarly colored line.  In fact, comparing a piece of white standard line and the triptease in a dark room, I can see the white much better.  Did I get defective triptease, or do do I have the wrong expectations?  What do others do to mark the extent of guy lines?

      Rick in FL
    • zippydooda
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
        REI has little pink flamingoes you can put on your tent/guy stakes.
        Not kidding.

        Here's the deal. They are kids. They will trip on your guy lines no
        matter what. Sorry.

        If you buy the flamingoes, they will step on them.

        If you want to see the reflective effect better, stand farther away
        and hold the flashlight right up on the side of your head, next to
        your eye. The stuff they use is a highly directional reflector, as
        you will see.

        Thanks for camping with kids.

        Bill in Houston

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "neptunebeach"
        <neptunebeach@c...> wrote:
        > I use my HH Asym when camping with various scout groups. The black
        guys on
        > the pullouts and fly seem to attract little feet as soon as the sun
        goes
        > down. So I finally broke down and bought a length of Kelty
        Triptease to
        > replace the stock lines with something I expected to "glow-in-the-
        dark" or
        > at least reflect in the dark with a little flashlight light, which
        is
        > omnipresent at scout outings. To my amazement, this triptease
        doesn't seem
        > to be any more reflective than any other similarly colored line.
        In fact,
        > comparing a piece of white standard line and the triptease in a
        dark room, I
        > can see the white much better. Did I get defective triptease, or
        do do I
        > have the wrong expectations? What do others do to mark the extent
        of guy
        > lines?
        >
        > Rick in FL
      • Steve
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
          I bought reflective guy-lines from Europe Bound here on Ontario.
          For 50 feet it was about 5 bucks. Its yellow and striped with some
          type of silver foil. Works pretty good. Much better than the black
          lines that come standard with the HH.
        • Ralph Oborn
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
            With my scouts, I decided:
            1) use orange 1/16 in lines
            2) yell and warn the kids they are there
            3) put brush where the stakes are
            4) not put out the guy lines until everyone else was down.

            Only #4 worked. But then I tripped over them (twice) when I was up in
            the middle of the night (getting old). :]
            Next time I'll look for a place more out of the way place as #5

            Ralph

            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
              That has been my experience with Kelty's triptease cord also. It
              lights up like a lazer beam if you illuminate it from a distance but
              it doesn't really show up any better than a light colored guy line
              from up close. I think it doesn't help the trip-over problem as much
              as it helps you find your way back in the dark. It is excellent guy
              line in that it is strong, light weight and doesn't stretch much, if
              at all.

              However, it is rather expensive. Recently I have been using the less
              expensive 1/16" pulse line that Ed Speers recommends in his book. Ed
              sells it and so does my local West Marine. It is less expensive than
              the triptease cord, is neon orange or pink and is pretty much
              equivalent for guyline purposes the the triptease, except it doesn't
              light up when you illuminate it from a distance. I think the
              triptease goes for around $15 for a 50 ft package and the 1/16" pulse
              line goes for around $22 for a 120 ft spool.

              Youngblood

            • Ralph Oborn
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
                Shane when you give or get directions do you do Right- Left or do you
                do North-South etc. ? Serious question, really. And it might apply

                Ralph

                On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:11:46 -0500, Shane <shane@...> wrote:
                > > Only #4 worked. But then I tripped over them (twice) when I was up in
                > > the middle of the night (getting old). :]
                > > Next time I'll look for a place more out of the way place as #5
                >
                > I just don't get it. I never trip on my own guy wires - and I frequently
                > walk around in the dark. I know that they're there....
                >
                > I don't like tripteaze. White nylon is the easiest thing to see at night,
                > but I haven't used it in years.
                >
                > Shane

              • Ralph Oborn
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
                  Local or inertial frame of reference (in physics terms). I locate the
                  guy wires as they are in the greater environment, you might locate
                  them in relation to the hammock. I always visualize things as
                  orthogonally oriented even though I know it isn't exactly North South
                  etc. (Architects call things "plan north". So in the middle of the
                  night I know where the hammock is but I can't remember how it or the
                  guy lines are placed until I trip over them (literally). It is part of
                  a minor learning disability.

                  I always!! give directions North South, I don't know left from right
                  in any consistent manner unless I am facing north. I almost flunked my
                  driving test here and in England because of that. Winding English
                  streets drove me nuts for two years. I really like the way Brigham
                  Young planned out the Salt Lake Valley, Cartesian coordinate system,
                  and the mountains are always to the east for a reference. Jerry and
                  Kate would have to try real hard to get lost in Salt Lake.
                  Ralph

                  On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:17:12 -0500, Shane <shane@...> wrote:
                  > > Shane when you give or get directions do you do Right- Left or do you
                  > > do North-South etc. ? Serious question, really. And it might apply
                  >
                  > Both. It depends on the context... I will tend to use north/south when I
                  > can. What does it mean?
                  >

                  > Shane

                • uluheman
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
                    I have a good friend who cannot tell left from right, and,
                    apparently, it's not that uncommon.

                    Also, there are other frames of reference around the world, which may
                    be of interest to hikers. Here on Oahu, it is highly uncommon to use
                    compass directions. Almost universally, directions are given in terms
                    of mauka (toward the mountains, which generally means towards the
                    center of an island) and makai (toward the ocean). Local towns or
                    landmarks are used to specify circumferential movement. Thus, one
                    might need to go "five blocks mauka and one block Diamond Head" to
                    get to a certain destination. It's basically a polar coordinate
                    system.

                    Furthermore, the mountains are so scored by deep valleys with steep
                    walls and narrow ridgelines that it's usually impossible to follow a
                    compass bearing. My impression is that most of us who spend a lot of
                    time in our mountains think spatially in terms of a network of
                    existing or potential pathways rather than a continuous Cartesian
                    plane.

                    Nevertheless, I've been known to trip over my guylines.

                    Aloha,

                    Brandon in Honolulu

                    > Local or inertial frame of reference (in physics terms). I locate
                    the
                    > guy wires as they are in the greater environment, you might locate
                    > them in relation to the hammock. I always visualize things as
                    > orthogonally oriented even though I know it isn't exactly North
                    South
                    > etc. (Architects call things "plan north". So in the middle of the
                    > night I know where the hammock is but I can't remember how it or the
                    > guy lines are placed until I trip over them (literally). It is part
                    of
                    > a minor learning disability.
                    >
                    > I always!! give directions North South, I don't know left from right
                    > in any consistent manner unless I am facing north. I almost flunked
                    my
                    > driving test here and in England because of that. Winding English
                    > streets drove me nuts for two years. I really like the way Brigham
                    > Young planned out the Salt Lake Valley, Cartesian coordinate system,
                    > and the mountains are always to the east for a reference. Jerry and
                    > Kate would have to try real hard to get lost in Salt Lake.
                    > Ralph
                    >

                    > On Fri, 1 Oct 2004 16:17:12 -0500, Shane <shane@t...> wrote:
                    > > > Shane when you give or get directions do you do Right- Left or
                    do you
                    > > > do North-South etc. ? Serious question, really. And it might
                    apply

                    > > Both. It depends on the context... I will tend to use
                    north/south when I
                    > > can. What does it mean?
                    > >

                    > > Shane

                  • Shane
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004

                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
                          > Why don't you like triptease?

                          I actually don't like it for several reasons, which I have noted from past
                          experience. One, it's too strong. With a breaking strength of 188 lb (85
                          kg) it's stronger than any tarp's tear strength. Plain white nylon string
                          would work just fine, and has worked for me many times. Two, it's too
                          heavy. Again, inch for inch, white nylon string is lighter and every bit as
                          functional. Three, it's hard to see at night. Sure, it reflects your
                          flashlight or headlamp, but if you're like me and don't use a light while
                          you're stalking around in the dark, a plain white cord is a lot easier to
                          see. Four, it's too expensive.

                          Shane
                        • Jerry Goller
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 1, 2004
                            Message
                            I use 2mm utility cord from Black Diamond. They, naturally, have a store in SLC.
                            Jerry

                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
                              Shane,

                              I don't worry to much about the 188 lb breaking strength. I figure
                              that is new cord without knots or sharp bends-- like around tent
                              stakes. It is pretty light weight compared to comparable strength
                              cord. Guyline stretch is a big issue for me when I use a tarp
                              suspended above a hammock and I suspect that guyline stretch in
                              general is proportional to the ratio of the loading on the guyline to
                              the breaking strength of the guyline but I don't know for sure this
                              is a big enough factor to be of concern.

                              One biggy for me is that triptease (or spectra pulse cord) does not
                              stretch like nylon cord when it gets wet. I have compared the slack
                              with a roughly 8'x10' tarp I was using for my hammock by rigging it
                              up one rainy night with braided nylon utility cord and the next rainy
                              night with the low stretch triptease or spectra pulse line. The
                              difference in the slack was dramatic. Now, this configuration used a
                              lot of cord so it emphasised the stretch much more than what a tarp
                              pitched for ground dwellers would experience. I think I tied it
                              about 6 feet above the ground with trees spaced about 15'. I used
                              three guylines on each side with about 7' of guyline to the ground
                              stakes. I wished I had taken photos.

                              Youngblood

                              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane" <shane@t...> wrote:
                              > > Why don't you like triptease?
                              >
                              > I actually don't like it for several reasons, which I have noted
                              from past
                              > experience. One, it's too strong. With a breaking strength of 188
                              lb (85
                              > kg) it's stronger than any tarp's tear strength. Plain white nylon
                              string
                              > would work just fine, and has worked for me many times. Two, it's
                              too
                              > heavy. Again, inch for inch, white nylon string is lighter and
                              every bit as
                              > functional. Three, it's hard to see at night. Sure, it reflects
                              your
                              > flashlight or headlamp, but if you're like me and don't use a light
                              while
                              > you're stalking around in the dark, a plain white cord is a lot
                              easier to
                              > see. Four, it's too expensive.
                              >
                              > Shane
                            • stumplug
                              Message 14 of 14 , Oct 2, 2004
                                I don't use tie-outs on my HH Exp. in the common mode. I have an old
                                small bore tent flexpole, five sections (ten feet) and bow it
                                underneath, tying the canopy to the top (near the ends) and the
                                hammock ties about eighteen inches down. The obvious advantage is
                                nothing to trip over and I enjoy the swinging sensation. In the wind
                                it has a tendacy to 'kite' over so I take a tarp tie vertical to a
                                stake on the windward side.
                                Works for me and I know most hammock campers have an old tent or two
                                in the shed.