Caffeine. Was: Feet Higher Than Head?

  • Lenny Nichols
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2004

      I just had to comment on this. I was addicted to caffeine. Mostly from Coca Cola and Excedrin. I woke up with a headache, took two excedrin and washed it down with a coke. I continued it about every 4 hours and frequently had headaches all day. It was worse when I was at altitude in the mountains on backpacking trips. I frequently was completely debilitated on the evening of my first hiking day.

      I finally cut out all caffeine. I had a huge, giant, really big headache for 3 weeks straight. I took every headache remedy I could find, that didn't have caffeine as an ingredient. Bayer aspirin seemed to work the best, but nothing really helped for 3 weeks. Then it went away. I've been mostly headache free since. Yes, I occasionally get a headache now, but because I'm not using caffeine all day, every day; 1 excedrin usually does the trick. I've not had a bad headache on a backpack trip or high mountain hike since. ...and I've hiked up 2 Colorado 14ers since; San Luis Peak and Mt. Elbert.

      Lenny Nichols