Re: [Hammock Camping] trees enough in the Sierras?

  • Francois
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
      > I'd like to hear from other Sierra backpackers about how it's
      worked for them.
      > I can see where being alone gives you more flexibility to find the
      right two trees

      Hi! I did the California PCT this summer and didn't use my hammock
      that much. A lot of it was laziness, some of it was due to hiking
      with tent-carrying folks. The times I did it worked great though!
      North of forester pass (tons of trees, lower elevation), Island Pass
      and Toulumne Meadows for example. I had some rain and wind during
      the night, specially at the pass (around 10000 feet) but with my ID
      poncho for rain fly I was ok. The weather at Toulumne was 32* with a
      constant drizzle, hanging above the ground kept me and my sleeping
      bag dried. The major inconvenient in the higher elevation would be
      the cold, I had to use two 3/4 lenght sleeping pads and my longjohns
      and it was the 4th of July. Also if you want to camp at or above
      10000 feet bring a tent, the trees are small and wind is a major
      factor, you want to stay low.
      Lucky you, have fun!
      -franc
    • architennis
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Francois" <franczazou@h...> wrote:
        > Hi! I did the California PCT this summer and didn't use my hammock
        > that much. A lot of it was laziness, some of it was due to hiking
        > with tent-carrying folks. The times I did it worked great though!
        > North of forester pass (tons of trees, lower elevation), Island Pass
        > and Toulumne Meadows for example. I had some rain and wind during
        > the night, specially at the pass (around 10000 feet) but with my ID
        > poncho for rain fly I was ok. The weather at Toulumne was 32* with a
        > constant drizzle, hanging above the ground kept me and my sleeping
        > bag dried. The major inconvenient in the higher elevation would be
        > the cold, I had to use two 3/4 lenght sleeping pads and my longjohns
        > and it was the 4th of July. Also if you want to camp at or above
        > 10000 feet bring a tent, the trees are small and wind is a major
        > factor, you want to stay low.
        > Lucky you, have fun!
        > -franc

        Franc,
        Thanks for the reply.
        What kind of 3/4 length pads did you use? And in the Sierras (Tahoe to Whitney areas)
        were there usually plenty of trees that would have worked, do you remember?