Re: [Hammock Camping] trees enough in the Sierras?

  • architennis
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
      Thanks for the info.
      I'd like to hear from other Sierra backpackers about how it's worked for them.

      I can see where being alone gives you more flexibility to find the right two trees. I
      sometimes go alone, more of the time go with one or two other people. I might take to
      hammock backpacking, but I expect the others I'm with won't be. Gets a little tricky if we
      can't all camp in the same site.

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, SF Nazdarovye <nazdarovye@y...> wrote:
      > Actually, I've had some trouble finding suitable spots in the Sierra
      > Nevada and Henry Coe State Park when hiking with a group where the
      > other folks are using tarps and tents. On my own, with a little more
      > flexibility in where I camp, I generally can hike until I find suitable
      > trees. Back east it's been a lot easier.
      >

      > On Sep 30, 2004, at 4:53 PM, architennis wrote:
      >
      > > Have you who hammock camp in the Sierras found enough trees, at the
      > > right distance and
      > > size, most trips? Or do you have to be very careful about where to
      > > stop for the night?
    • Francois
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
        > I'd like to hear from other Sierra backpackers about how it's
        worked for them.
        > I can see where being alone gives you more flexibility to find the
        right two trees

        Hi! I did the California PCT this summer and didn't use my hammock
        that much. A lot of it was laziness, some of it was due to hiking
        with tent-carrying folks. The times I did it worked great though!
        North of forester pass (tons of trees, lower elevation), Island Pass
        and Toulumne Meadows for example. I had some rain and wind during
        the night, specially at the pass (around 10000 feet) but with my ID
        poncho for rain fly I was ok. The weather at Toulumne was 32* with a
        constant drizzle, hanging above the ground kept me and my sleeping
        bag dried. The major inconvenient in the higher elevation would be
        the cold, I had to use two 3/4 lenght sleeping pads and my longjohns
        and it was the 4th of July. Also if you want to camp at or above
        10000 feet bring a tent, the trees are small and wind is a major
        factor, you want to stay low.
        Lucky you, have fun!
        -franc
      • architennis
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Francois" <franczazou@h...> wrote:
          > Hi! I did the California PCT this summer and didn't use my hammock
          > that much. A lot of it was laziness, some of it was due to hiking
          > with tent-carrying folks. The times I did it worked great though!
          > North of forester pass (tons of trees, lower elevation), Island Pass
          > and Toulumne Meadows for example. I had some rain and wind during
          > the night, specially at the pass (around 10000 feet) but with my ID
          > poncho for rain fly I was ok. The weather at Toulumne was 32* with a
          > constant drizzle, hanging above the ground kept me and my sleeping
          > bag dried. The major inconvenient in the higher elevation would be
          > the cold, I had to use two 3/4 lenght sleeping pads and my longjohns
          > and it was the 4th of July. Also if you want to camp at or above
          > 10000 feet bring a tent, the trees are small and wind is a major
          > factor, you want to stay low.
          > Lucky you, have fun!
          > -franc

          Franc,
          Thanks for the reply.
          What kind of 3/4 length pads did you use? And in the Sierras (Tahoe to Whitney areas)
          were there usually plenty of trees that would have worked, do you remember?