Re: [Hammock Camping] trees enough in the Sierras?

  • SF Nazdarovye
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
      Actually, I've had some trouble finding suitable spots in the Sierra
      Nevada and Henry Coe State Park when hiking with a group where the
      other folks are using tarps and tents. On my own, with a little more
      flexibility in where I camp, I generally can hike until I find suitable
      trees. Back east it's been a lot easier.

      On Sep 30, 2004, at 4:53 PM, architennis wrote:

      > Have you who hammock camp in the Sierras found enough trees, at the
      > right distance and
      > size, most trips? Or do you have to be very careful about where to
      > stop for the night?
    • architennis
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
        Thanks for the info.
        I'd like to hear from other Sierra backpackers about how it's worked for them.

        I can see where being alone gives you more flexibility to find the right two trees. I
        sometimes go alone, more of the time go with one or two other people. I might take to
        hammock backpacking, but I expect the others I'm with won't be. Gets a little tricky if we
        can't all camp in the same site.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, SF Nazdarovye <nazdarovye@y...> wrote:
        > Actually, I've had some trouble finding suitable spots in the Sierra
        > Nevada and Henry Coe State Park when hiking with a group where the
        > other folks are using tarps and tents. On my own, with a little more
        > flexibility in where I camp, I generally can hike until I find suitable
        > trees. Back east it's been a lot easier.
        >

        > On Sep 30, 2004, at 4:53 PM, architennis wrote:
        >
        > > Have you who hammock camp in the Sierras found enough trees, at the
        > > right distance and
        > > size, most trips? Or do you have to be very careful about where to
        > > stop for the night?
      • Francois
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
          > I'd like to hear from other Sierra backpackers about how it's
          worked for them.
          > I can see where being alone gives you more flexibility to find the
          right two trees

          Hi! I did the California PCT this summer and didn't use my hammock
          that much. A lot of it was laziness, some of it was due to hiking
          with tent-carrying folks. The times I did it worked great though!
          North of forester pass (tons of trees, lower elevation), Island Pass
          and Toulumne Meadows for example. I had some rain and wind during
          the night, specially at the pass (around 10000 feet) but with my ID
          poncho for rain fly I was ok. The weather at Toulumne was 32* with a
          constant drizzle, hanging above the ground kept me and my sleeping
          bag dried. The major inconvenient in the higher elevation would be
          the cold, I had to use two 3/4 lenght sleeping pads and my longjohns
          and it was the 4th of July. Also if you want to camp at or above
          10000 feet bring a tent, the trees are small and wind is a major
          factor, you want to stay low.
          Lucky you, have fun!
          -franc
        • architennis
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Francois" <franczazou@h...> wrote:
            > Hi! I did the California PCT this summer and didn't use my hammock
            > that much. A lot of it was laziness, some of it was due to hiking
            > with tent-carrying folks. The times I did it worked great though!
            > North of forester pass (tons of trees, lower elevation), Island Pass
            > and Toulumne Meadows for example. I had some rain and wind during
            > the night, specially at the pass (around 10000 feet) but with my ID
            > poncho for rain fly I was ok. The weather at Toulumne was 32* with a
            > constant drizzle, hanging above the ground kept me and my sleeping
            > bag dried. The major inconvenient in the higher elevation would be
            > the cold, I had to use two 3/4 lenght sleeping pads and my longjohns
            > and it was the 4th of July. Also if you want to camp at or above
            > 10000 feet bring a tent, the trees are small and wind is a major
            > factor, you want to stay low.
            > Lucky you, have fun!
            > -franc

            Franc,
            Thanks for the reply.
            What kind of 3/4 length pads did you use? And in the Sierras (Tahoe to Whitney areas)
            were there usually plenty of trees that would have worked, do you remember?