trees enough in the Sierras?

  • architennis
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
      I bought a HH Backpacker to try out from REI here in Berkeley. I
      spent a night in a friend's
      yard last night and I'm going to go camping w/ it this weekend near
      Big Sur (the coast).

      Have you who hammock camp in the Sierras found enough trees, at the
      right distance and
      size, most trips? Or do you have to be very careful about where to
      stop for the night?

      Thanks for the info.
    • SF Nazdarovye
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
        Actually, I've had some trouble finding suitable spots in the Sierra
        Nevada and Henry Coe State Park when hiking with a group where the
        other folks are using tarps and tents. On my own, with a little more
        flexibility in where I camp, I generally can hike until I find suitable
        trees. Back east it's been a lot easier.

        On Sep 30, 2004, at 4:53 PM, architennis wrote:

        > Have you who hammock camp in the Sierras found enough trees, at the
        > right distance and
        > size, most trips? Or do you have to be very careful about where to
        > stop for the night?
      • architennis
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 30, 2004
          Thanks for the info.
          I'd like to hear from other Sierra backpackers about how it's worked for them.

          I can see where being alone gives you more flexibility to find the right two trees. I
          sometimes go alone, more of the time go with one or two other people. I might take to
          hammock backpacking, but I expect the others I'm with won't be. Gets a little tricky if we
          can't all camp in the same site.

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, SF Nazdarovye <nazdarovye@y...> wrote:
          > Actually, I've had some trouble finding suitable spots in the Sierra
          > Nevada and Henry Coe State Park when hiking with a group where the
          > other folks are using tarps and tents. On my own, with a little more
          > flexibility in where I camp, I generally can hike until I find suitable
          > trees. Back east it's been a lot easier.
          >

          > On Sep 30, 2004, at 4:53 PM, architennis wrote:
          >
          > > Have you who hammock camp in the Sierras found enough trees, at the
          > > right distance and
          > > size, most trips? Or do you have to be very careful about where to
          > > stop for the night?
        • Francois
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2004
            > I'd like to hear from other Sierra backpackers about how it's
            worked for them.
            > I can see where being alone gives you more flexibility to find the
            right two trees

            Hi! I did the California PCT this summer and didn't use my hammock
            that much. A lot of it was laziness, some of it was due to hiking
            with tent-carrying folks. The times I did it worked great though!
            North of forester pass (tons of trees, lower elevation), Island Pass
            and Toulumne Meadows for example. I had some rain and wind during
            the night, specially at the pass (around 10000 feet) but with my ID
            poncho for rain fly I was ok. The weather at Toulumne was 32* with a
            constant drizzle, hanging above the ground kept me and my sleeping
            bag dried. The major inconvenient in the higher elevation would be
            the cold, I had to use two 3/4 lenght sleeping pads and my longjohns
            and it was the 4th of July. Also if you want to camp at or above
            10000 feet bring a tent, the trees are small and wind is a major
            factor, you want to stay low.
            Lucky you, have fun!
            -franc
          • architennis
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 3, 2004
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Francois" <franczazou@h...> wrote:
              > Hi! I did the California PCT this summer and didn't use my hammock
              > that much. A lot of it was laziness, some of it was due to hiking
              > with tent-carrying folks. The times I did it worked great though!
              > North of forester pass (tons of trees, lower elevation), Island Pass
              > and Toulumne Meadows for example. I had some rain and wind during
              > the night, specially at the pass (around 10000 feet) but with my ID
              > poncho for rain fly I was ok. The weather at Toulumne was 32* with a
              > constant drizzle, hanging above the ground kept me and my sleeping
              > bag dried. The major inconvenient in the higher elevation would be
              > the cold, I had to use two 3/4 lenght sleeping pads and my longjohns
              > and it was the 4th of July. Also if you want to camp at or above
              > 10000 feet bring a tent, the trees are small and wind is a major
              > factor, you want to stay low.
              > Lucky you, have fun!
              > -franc

              Franc,
              Thanks for the reply.
              What kind of 3/4 length pads did you use? And in the Sierras (Tahoe to Whitney areas)
              were there usually plenty of trees that would have worked, do you remember?