[Hammock Camping] Re: Feet Higher Than Head?

    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
      Jackie, that is very useful. Thanks for sharing it with us. It is
      cetainly something that I am glad to be aware of so that I can
      quickly recognise the condition and try to remedy it quickly if it
      ever happens. Sounds a little like one thing leads to another, leads
      to another, but elevated feet can be a major contributer to the
      domino effect and it is necessary to immediately remove the pressure
      on your cranium by quit elevating the feet if something doesn't feel
      right in your head. I have experienced domino effect problems that
      get out of hand when I have scuba dived in the past and the immediate
      remedy is of course, to get to the surface to relief the symtoms
      associated with the increased pressure.

      Youngblood

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jackie lynn evans"

      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
        <dchinell@m...> wrote:
        > 1. Windblown tarp: Set up in the back yard during Jeanne. 7 x 9
        silnylon
        > tarp with grommets, pitched on diagonal. Stayed out until gusts
        reached 55
        > mph. The flatter the tarp, the less impact the gusts had. Upwind
        peg came
        > out twice, due in part to sandy soil in yard. Pitched very low, the
        tarp
        > gave good coverage even from gust-blown rain.

        Bear, that is a good lesson about stakes and how lots of rain and/or
        wind can cause them to pull them out. I would think that tying off
        to roots, branches, etc would be in order if possible as well as
        placing logs or rocks on the line where the stake enters the ground.

        Youngblood
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 1, 2004
          jonas4321@... wrote:

          >On the two nights last weekend I was in the hammock, the first night my
          >feet were a little low, and I slid down a bit. The next night, I had
          >raised the foot end, but I think I got it a little too high, as I woke up
          >with a headache (and I don't usually wake with a headache). Anyone else
          >experience this?

          Headache on the second night of camping is often due to
          - caffine withdrawl
          - dehydration

          I find that having my feet higher at night, makes them feel better in
          the morning.

          Risk
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2004
            Dave Womble wrote:

            >Jackie, that is very useful. Thanks for sharing it with us. It is
            >cetainly something that I am glad to be aware of so that I can
            >quickly recognise the condition and try to remedy it quickly if it
            >ever happens. Sounds a little like one thing leads to another, leads
            >to another, but elevated feet can be a major contributer to the
            >domino effect and it is necessary to immediately remove the pressure
            >on your cranium by quit elevating the feet if something doesn't feel
            >right in your head. I have experienced domino effect problems that
            >get out of hand when I have scuba dived in the past and the immediate
            >remedy is of course, to get to the surface to relief the symtoms
            >associated with the increased pressure.
            >
            >Youngblood
            >
            >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jackie lynn evans"

            Dave,

            What Jackie did not mention is that vascular headaches don't happen to
            everyone. If a hiker has a history of vascular headaches, then watching
            out for putting the feet too high is a great idea. If the camper has
            not had them (migranes, etc.) then it is unlikely that sleeping with the
            feet slightly elevated will give a hammock camper their first vascular
            headache.

            Risk, MD