Hurricane experiments

  • David Chinell
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
      1. Windblown tarp: Set up in the back yard during Jeanne. 7 x 9 silnylon tarp with grommets, pitched on diagonal. Stayed out until gusts reached 55 mph. The flatter the tarp, the less impact the gusts had. Upwind peg came out twice, due in part to sandy soil in yard. Pitched very low, the tarp gave good coverage even from gust-blown rain.

      2. Water knot straps: Made a variation of my (currently) favorite tree ropes from 10-foot lengths of 1-inch wide polyester strapping, joined into loops using a water knot. These held fine, and provided slightly increased tree diameter options over my purchased slings. (In use, the loop goes around the tree in a lark's head knot.)

      3. Aluminum rings: added to the tree-rope straps at the knot, using a larks' head. I usually use a slipped sheet bend (hammocker's knot) to tie the hammock rope to the tree rope so this should save some wear and tear on both. Alternately, it should be possible to use the Hennessy hitch through the rings.

      4. Knotless, self-centering rig: The "knotless" part comes when you set up. Straps with aluminum rings around the trees. Carabiners through the casings on my tropical hammock. Two hammock ropes made of 10-foot lengths of 1-inch polyester strapping with D-rings in one end of one.

      Make loops in the plain ends of both hammock straps using a figure 8 on a bight. Clip one onto each of the casing carabiners. Run each strap to a tree rope ring, then back through the carabiner. Join the straps in the middle over the hammock using the D-rings (just like fastening a D-ring belt).

      Take up the slack with the D-ring adjustment, and center the hammock between the trees by sliding it to the left or right. The strap ends, joined in the middle over the hammock, make a low ridgeline for a bug net. But the straps also ruin using the hammock as a chair. I don't think this pans out very well, but it was fun to try.

      Bear
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
        Jackie, that is very useful. Thanks for sharing it with us. It is
        cetainly something that I am glad to be aware of so that I can
        quickly recognise the condition and try to remedy it quickly if it
        ever happens. Sounds a little like one thing leads to another, leads
        to another, but elevated feet can be a major contributer to the
        domino effect and it is necessary to immediately remove the pressure
        on your cranium by quit elevating the feet if something doesn't feel
        right in your head. I have experienced domino effect problems that
        get out of hand when I have scuba dived in the past and the immediate
        remedy is of course, to get to the surface to relief the symtoms
        associated with the increased pressure.

        Youngblood

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jackie lynn evans"

        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
          <dchinell@m...> wrote:
          > 1. Windblown tarp: Set up in the back yard during Jeanne. 7 x 9
          silnylon
          > tarp with grommets, pitched on diagonal. Stayed out until gusts
          reached 55
          > mph. The flatter the tarp, the less impact the gusts had. Upwind
          peg came
          > out twice, due in part to sandy soil in yard. Pitched very low, the
          tarp
          > gave good coverage even from gust-blown rain.

          Bear, that is a good lesson about stakes and how lots of rain and/or
          wind can cause them to pull them out. I would think that tying off
          to roots, branches, etc would be in order if possible as well as
          placing logs or rocks on the line where the stake enters the ground.

          Youngblood
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 1, 2004
            jonas4321@... wrote:

            >On the two nights last weekend I was in the hammock, the first night my
            >feet were a little low, and I slid down a bit. The next night, I had
            >raised the foot end, but I think I got it a little too high, as I woke up
            >with a headache (and I don't usually wake with a headache). Anyone else
            >experience this?

            Headache on the second night of camping is often due to
            - caffine withdrawl
            - dehydration

            I find that having my feet higher at night, makes them feel better in
            the morning.

            Risk
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2004
              Dave Womble wrote:

              >Jackie, that is very useful. Thanks for sharing it with us. It is
              >cetainly something that I am glad to be aware of so that I can
              >quickly recognise the condition and try to remedy it quickly if it
              >ever happens. Sounds a little like one thing leads to another, leads
              >to another, but elevated feet can be a major contributer to the
              >domino effect and it is necessary to immediately remove the pressure
              >on your cranium by quit elevating the feet if something doesn't feel
              >right in your head. I have experienced domino effect problems that
              >get out of hand when I have scuba dived in the past and the immediate
              >remedy is of course, to get to the surface to relief the symtoms
              >associated with the increased pressure.
              >
              >Youngblood
              >
              >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jackie lynn evans"

              Dave,

              What Jackie did not mention is that vascular headaches don't happen to
              everyone. If a hiker has a history of vascular headaches, then watching
              out for putting the feet too high is a great idea. If the camper has
              not had them (migranes, etc.) then it is unlikely that sleeping with the
              feet slightly elevated will give a hammock camper their first vascular
              headache.

              Risk, MD