RE: [Hammock Camping] Re: Feet Higher Than Head?

  • jackie lynn evans
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
      David, by elevating the feet, the blood flow to the cranium is increased, in proportion to the amount of elevation.  This can lead to some increase in intracranial pressure.  Other physiologic conditions could also come into play, such as electrolyte levels which can be abnormal after long days on the trail. In my case a contributing factor is the decrease in my caffeine intake---from 6 portions a day to 1 or 2.  Another possible contribution could come from any stress placed on the diaphragm as result of too much "bend/sag" in the hammocks middle.  If the diaphragm is stressed, sleep apnea could result or be worsened in someone who already has the condition.  This results in decrease oxygen flow to the brain as well as other organs.  I really enjoy elevating my feet after a day on the trail.  My experience leads me to be careful about too much of a good thing---relevant in other areas of my life as well----haha. So when hanging my hammock I try to keep the feet just slightly above level or level with my head.  I also am careful about centering the hammock to account for sag of the ropes.  I have only experienced the headaches twice and both I believe were the result of too much elevation at the foot-end of the hammock with a reduction in my caffeine intake.  Caffeine constricts cranial blood vessels.  Sudden withdrawal of caffeine can result in dilation of these blood vessels resulting in a vascular headache.  Many headache remedies contain caffeine to treat the pain--Excedrin, Anacin, BC's, etc...  Hope this information is useful.

      Jackie
    • David Chinell
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
        1. Windblown tarp: Set up in the back yard during Jeanne. 7 x 9 silnylon tarp with grommets, pitched on diagonal. Stayed out until gusts reached 55 mph. The flatter the tarp, the less impact the gusts had. Upwind peg came out twice, due in part to sandy soil in yard. Pitched very low, the tarp gave good coverage even from gust-blown rain.

        2. Water knot straps: Made a variation of my (currently) favorite tree ropes from 10-foot lengths of 1-inch wide polyester strapping, joined into loops using a water knot. These held fine, and provided slightly increased tree diameter options over my purchased slings. (In use, the loop goes around the tree in a lark's head knot.)

        3. Aluminum rings: added to the tree-rope straps at the knot, using a larks' head. I usually use a slipped sheet bend (hammocker's knot) to tie the hammock rope to the tree rope so this should save some wear and tear on both. Alternately, it should be possible to use the Hennessy hitch through the rings.

        4. Knotless, self-centering rig: The "knotless" part comes when you set up. Straps with aluminum rings around the trees. Carabiners through the casings on my tropical hammock. Two hammock ropes made of 10-foot lengths of 1-inch polyester strapping with D-rings in one end of one.

        Make loops in the plain ends of both hammock straps using a figure 8 on a bight. Clip one onto each of the casing carabiners. Run each strap to a tree rope ring, then back through the carabiner. Join the straps in the middle over the hammock using the D-rings (just like fastening a D-ring belt).

        Take up the slack with the D-ring adjustment, and center the hammock between the trees by sliding it to the left or right. The strap ends, joined in the middle over the hammock, make a low ridgeline for a bug net. But the straps also ruin using the hammock as a chair. I don't think this pans out very well, but it was fun to try.

        Bear
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
          Jackie, that is very useful. Thanks for sharing it with us. It is
          cetainly something that I am glad to be aware of so that I can
          quickly recognise the condition and try to remedy it quickly if it
          ever happens. Sounds a little like one thing leads to another, leads
          to another, but elevated feet can be a major contributer to the
          domino effect and it is necessary to immediately remove the pressure
          on your cranium by quit elevating the feet if something doesn't feel
          right in your head. I have experienced domino effect problems that
          get out of hand when I have scuba dived in the past and the immediate
          remedy is of course, to get to the surface to relief the symtoms
          associated with the increased pressure.

          Youngblood

          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jackie lynn evans"

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
            <dchinell@m...> wrote:
            > 1. Windblown tarp: Set up in the back yard during Jeanne. 7 x 9
            silnylon
            > tarp with grommets, pitched on diagonal. Stayed out until gusts
            reached 55
            > mph. The flatter the tarp, the less impact the gusts had. Upwind
            peg came
            > out twice, due in part to sandy soil in yard. Pitched very low, the
            tarp
            > gave good coverage even from gust-blown rain.

            Bear, that is a good lesson about stakes and how lots of rain and/or
            wind can cause them to pull them out. I would think that tying off
            to roots, branches, etc would be in order if possible as well as
            placing logs or rocks on the line where the stake enters the ground.

            Youngblood
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 1, 2004
              jonas4321@... wrote:

              >On the two nights last weekend I was in the hammock, the first night my
              >feet were a little low, and I slid down a bit. The next night, I had
              >raised the foot end, but I think I got it a little too high, as I woke up
              >with a headache (and I don't usually wake with a headache). Anyone else
              >experience this?

              Headache on the second night of camping is often due to
              - caffine withdrawl
              - dehydration

              I find that having my feet higher at night, makes them feel better in
              the morning.

              Risk
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 1, 2004
                Dave Womble wrote:

                >Jackie, that is very useful. Thanks for sharing it with us. It is
                >cetainly something that I am glad to be aware of so that I can
                >quickly recognise the condition and try to remedy it quickly if it
                >ever happens. Sounds a little like one thing leads to another, leads
                >to another, but elevated feet can be a major contributer to the
                >domino effect and it is necessary to immediately remove the pressure
                >on your cranium by quit elevating the feet if something doesn't feel
                >right in your head. I have experienced domino effect problems that
                >get out of hand when I have scuba dived in the past and the immediate
                >remedy is of course, to get to the surface to relief the symtoms
                >associated with the increased pressure.
                >
                >Youngblood
                >
                >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jackie lynn evans"

                Dave,

                What Jackie did not mention is that vascular headaches don't happen to
                everyone. If a hiker has a history of vascular headaches, then watching
                out for putting the feet too high is a great idea. If the camper has
                not had them (migranes, etc.) then it is unlikely that sleeping with the
                feet slightly elevated will give a hammock camper their first vascular
                headache.

                Risk, MD