Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Feet Higher Than Head?

  • jonas4321@juno.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 29, 2004
      On the two nights last weekend I was in the hammock, the first night my
      feet were a little low, and I slid down a bit. The next night, I had
      raised the foot end, but I think I got it a little too high, as I woke up
      with a headache (and I don't usually wake with a headache). Anyone else
      experience this?

      On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 00:05:36 -0000 "Dave Womble" <dpwomble@...>
      writes:
      > Yes, you want the foot end of the hammock higher, for the reason you
      >
      > mentioned.

      Get your name as your email address.
    • jackie lynn evans
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
        I have experienced vascular headaches twice as a result of sleeping with my feet too much higher than my head in the hammock.  The last time the pain was so bad it woke me up at 5 A.M. and I was too nauseated to eat for a couple of hours.
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jackie lynn evans"
          <jackiethehiker@b...> wrote:
          > I have experienced vascular headaches twice as a result of sleeping
          with my
          > feet too much higher than my head in the hammock. The last time
          the pain
          > was so bad it woke me up at 5 A.M. and I was too nauseated to eat
          for a
          > couple of hours.

          Jackie, that sounds serious. Can you tell us a little more, like is
          this related to any particular conditions you have or is it something
          that all of us hammockers need to be aware of?

          Youngblood
        • jackie lynn evans
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
            David, by elevating the feet, the blood flow to the cranium is increased, in proportion to the amount of elevation.  This can lead to some increase in intracranial pressure.  Other physiologic conditions could also come into play, such as electrolyte levels which can be abnormal after long days on the trail. In my case a contributing factor is the decrease in my caffeine intake---from 6 portions a day to 1 or 2.  Another possible contribution could come from any stress placed on the diaphragm as result of too much "bend/sag" in the hammocks middle.  If the diaphragm is stressed, sleep apnea could result or be worsened in someone who already has the condition.  This results in decrease oxygen flow to the brain as well as other organs.  I really enjoy elevating my feet after a day on the trail.  My experience leads me to be careful about too much of a good thing---relevant in other areas of my life as well----haha. So when hanging my hammock I try to keep the feet just slightly above level or level with my head.  I also am careful about centering the hammock to account for sag of the ropes.  I have only experienced the headaches twice and both I believe were the result of too much elevation at the foot-end of the hammock with a reduction in my caffeine intake.  Caffeine constricts cranial blood vessels.  Sudden withdrawal of caffeine can result in dilation of these blood vessels resulting in a vascular headache.  Many headache remedies contain caffeine to treat the pain--Excedrin, Anacin, BC's, etc...  Hope this information is useful.

            Jackie
          • David Chinell
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
              1. Windblown tarp: Set up in the back yard during Jeanne. 7 x 9 silnylon tarp with grommets, pitched on diagonal. Stayed out until gusts reached 55 mph. The flatter the tarp, the less impact the gusts had. Upwind peg came out twice, due in part to sandy soil in yard. Pitched very low, the tarp gave good coverage even from gust-blown rain.

              2. Water knot straps: Made a variation of my (currently) favorite tree ropes from 10-foot lengths of 1-inch wide polyester strapping, joined into loops using a water knot. These held fine, and provided slightly increased tree diameter options over my purchased slings. (In use, the loop goes around the tree in a lark's head knot.)

              3. Aluminum rings: added to the tree-rope straps at the knot, using a larks' head. I usually use a slipped sheet bend (hammocker's knot) to tie the hammock rope to the tree rope so this should save some wear and tear on both. Alternately, it should be possible to use the Hennessy hitch through the rings.

              4. Knotless, self-centering rig: The "knotless" part comes when you set up. Straps with aluminum rings around the trees. Carabiners through the casings on my tropical hammock. Two hammock ropes made of 10-foot lengths of 1-inch polyester strapping with D-rings in one end of one.

              Make loops in the plain ends of both hammock straps using a figure 8 on a bight. Clip one onto each of the casing carabiners. Run each strap to a tree rope ring, then back through the carabiner. Join the straps in the middle over the hammock using the D-rings (just like fastening a D-ring belt).

              Take up the slack with the D-ring adjustment, and center the hammock between the trees by sliding it to the left or right. The strap ends, joined in the middle over the hammock, make a low ridgeline for a bug net. But the straps also ruin using the hammock as a chair. I don't think this pans out very well, but it was fun to try.

              Bear
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
                Jackie, that is very useful. Thanks for sharing it with us. It is
                cetainly something that I am glad to be aware of so that I can
                quickly recognise the condition and try to remedy it quickly if it
                ever happens. Sounds a little like one thing leads to another, leads
                to another, but elevated feet can be a major contributer to the
                domino effect and it is necessary to immediately remove the pressure
                on your cranium by quit elevating the feet if something doesn't feel
                right in your head. I have experienced domino effect problems that
                get out of hand when I have scuba dived in the past and the immediate
                remedy is of course, to get to the surface to relief the symtoms
                associated with the increased pressure.

                Youngblood

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 30, 2004
                  <dchinell@m...> wrote:
                  > 1. Windblown tarp: Set up in the back yard during Jeanne. 7 x 9
                  silnylon
                  > tarp with grommets, pitched on diagonal. Stayed out until gusts
                  reached 55
                  > mph. The flatter the tarp, the less impact the gusts had. Upwind
                  peg came
                  > out twice, due in part to sandy soil in yard. Pitched very low, the
                  tarp
                  > gave good coverage even from gust-blown rain.

                  Bear, that is a good lesson about stakes and how lots of rain and/or
                  wind can cause them to pull them out. I would think that tying off
                  to roots, branches, etc would be in order if possible as well as
                  placing logs or rocks on the line where the stake enters the ground.

                  Youngblood
                  Message 8 of 9 , Oct 1, 2004
                    jonas4321@... wrote:

                    >On the two nights last weekend I was in the hammock, the first night my
                    >feet were a little low, and I slid down a bit. The next night, I had
                    >raised the foot end, but I think I got it a little too high, as I woke up
                    >with a headache (and I don't usually wake with a headache). Anyone else
                    >experience this?

                    Headache on the second night of camping is often due to
                    - caffine withdrawl
                    - dehydration

                    I find that having my feet higher at night, makes them feel better in
                    the morning.

                    Risk
                    Message 9 of 9 , Oct 1, 2004
                      Dave Womble wrote:

                      >Jackie, that is very useful. Thanks for sharing it with us. It is
                      >cetainly something that I am glad to be aware of so that I can
                      >quickly recognise the condition and try to remedy it quickly if it
                      >ever happens. Sounds a little like one thing leads to another, leads
                      >to another, but elevated feet can be a major contributer to the
                      >domino effect and it is necessary to immediately remove the pressure
                      >on your cranium by quit elevating the feet if something doesn't feel
                      >right in your head. I have experienced domino effect problems that
                      >get out of hand when I have scuba dived in the past and the immediate
                      >remedy is of course, to get to the surface to relief the symtoms
                      >associated with the increased pressure.
                      >
                      >Youngblood
                      >
                      >--- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "jackie lynn evans"

                      Dave,

                      What Jackie did not mention is that vascular headaches don't happen to
                      everyone. If a hiker has a history of vascular headaches, then watching
                      out for putting the feet too high is a great idea. If the camper has
                      not had them (migranes, etc.) then it is unlikely that sleeping with the
                      feet slightly elevated will give a hammock camper their first vascular
                      headache.

                      Risk, MD