Feet Higher Than Head?

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 29, 2004
      Just a quick question...Do most of you set up your hammock so that
      it is not quite level? I usually set mine up so that my feet are
      slightly higher than my head, that way I don't creep towards the end
      of the hammock through the night. Is that the normal way to set up
      the hammock?

      I learned that the hard way...I attached the head end of the hammock
      to a tree that was about 5-6 inches in diameter. The line was nice
      and tight and everything looked good. However once I got in the
      hammock (and I didnt notice this) the tree bent in about 8 inches,
      which made me keep slipping into the foot end of the hammock. It
      was really annoying...Lesson learned: Use trees that don't bend!
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 29, 2004
        Yes, you want the foot end of the hammock higher, for the reason you
        mentioned. One other thing to be careful with is the length of the
        attachment ropes on each end of the hammock. I think most of us
        prefer to have them equal and then tie the foot end higher up on the
        tree. However, if the lengths are not equal, the longer end will
        drop relative to the short end.

        Youngblood

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <selms@c...> wrote:
        > Just a quick question...Do most of you set up your hammock so that
        > it is not quite level? I usually set mine up so that my feet are
        > slightly higher than my head, that way I don't creep towards the
        end
        > of the hammock through the night. Is that the normal way to set up
        > the hammock?
        >
        > I learned that the hard way...I attached the head end of the
        hammock
        > to a tree that was about 5-6 inches in diameter. The line was nice
        > and tight and everything looked good. However once I got in the
        > hammock (and I didnt notice this) the tree bent in about 8 inches,
        > which made me keep slipping into the foot end of the hammock. It
        > was really annoying...Lesson learned: Use trees that don't bend!
      • jwj32542
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 29, 2004
          > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <selms@c...> wrote:
          > > Just a quick question...Do most of you set up your hammock so
          that
          > > it is not quite level?

          I tie mine a few inches higher, then clip my almost-empty pack to
          the foot end, which brings it down to almost-level. The foot still
          ends up being slightly higher than the head. One time as I was
          adjusting in the night, my feet slipped right through the opening.
          Sleeping closer to the head end keeps this from happening.

          I also like my head to be closer to the end of the hammock because
          it's easier to sit up and look out of the HH if you're up there.

          I'm a big fan of the zippers I saw on someone's HH pictures in the
          gallery. I might add those when I figure out how to sew - seems
          like a great feature for the little bit of weight added.

          Jeff