Re: [Hammock Camping] My Simple Hammock Hints...And My Underquilt Problem....

  • Shane
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 29, 2004
      > 1. I have placed a wrap of silver duct tape on the "foot" end of the
      > hammock main line. Since I have snakeskins for the hammock, this
      > allows me to determine right away (without unravelling the
      > snakeskins) which end of the hammock is which.

      I always just tie a little knot in the end of the foot-end rope when I take
      it down.

      > 2. I use 2 small carabiners hung inside the hammock on the ridge
      > line. This allows me to hang my flashlight(s), socks, etc and
      > easilly unhook them, or slide them up and down the ridgeline. The
      > hammock comes with 2 clasps but I find they are too small to work
      > properly.

      Walmart sells some little ones that work great. You can leave them in the
      hammock, because they're so small that the snakeskins slide right over them.

      > 5. I bought 2 expandable poles (10 bucks each) that allow me to
      > raise one side or the center of each side of the fly. It provides a
      > better view out of the hammock and creates a sort of awning.

      I just use my hiking poles.

      > 10. I use a small piece of an old plastic tarp as a ground cover
      > underneath the hammock. It is about 2 feet by 2 feet and provides
      > just enough room to stand on and get in and out of the hammock.

      I use a Neat Sheet as a ground cloth/welcome mat. I wrap my gear in it at
      night.

      > Just thought I'd share....

      Thanks!

      Shane
    • Jerry Goller
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 29, 2004
        Message

        > 1. I have placed a wrap of silver duct tape on the "foot" end of the
        > hammock main line. Since I have snakeskins for the hammock, this
        > allows me to determine right away (without unravelling the
        > snakeskins) which end of the hammock is which.

        I always just tie a little knot in the end of the foot-end rope when I take
        it down.

        [Jerry Goller] I use 2" polypro 6' tree huggers. The one at the head is green polypro and the one at the foot is black. I've got aluminum utility rings on each end of the straps (total 4). Very easy to use and tie. Lashing never binds up.

        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004
          Shane wrote:

          >>1. I have placed a wrap of silver duct tape on the "foot" end of the
          >>hammock main line. Since I have snakeskins for the hammock, this
          >>allows me to determine right away (without unravelling the
          >>snakeskins) which end of the hammock is which.
          >>

          >I always just tie a little knot in the end of the foot-end rope when I take
          >it down.

          It must be nicer than I thought not to have a head end of the hammock.
          This also gets the whole hammock used equally.

          Risk
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004
            Shane wrote:

            >>>I always just tie a little knot in the end of the foot-end rope when I
            >>>

            >take
            >

            >>>it down.
            >>>

            >>It must be nicer than I thought not to have a head end of the hammock.
            >>This also gets the whole hammock used equally.
            >>

            >Long before I got a Hennessy, I always had a foot end and a head end. I
            >never wanted to sleep with my face where my feet were the night before.
            >
            >Shane

            On my drive home yesterday from the trail, I found a little piece of
            black grit in my ear. I wondered where it had come from.

            Seriously, I have never given it a thought. I never put my shoes into
            the hammock, and do a pretty good job of keeping clean on the trail,
            both head and foot. I must admit that I have never smelled dirty foot
            odor when lying down. I do wash my hammock every few outings, which has
            become much easier since I began whipping the ends instead of tying them.

            Risk
          • Shane
            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 1, 2004

            • jonas4321@juno.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2004
                On Fri, 01 Oct 2004 16:59:15 -0400 Rick <ra1@...> writes:

                > I do wash my hammock every few outings, which
                > has become much easier since I began whipping the ends instead of tying

                > them.

                I have not tried the whipping method, but I had to take my hammock
                "apart" today to dry it out, and I was VERY happy with how easy it was to
                get the double sheet bend out of the hammock/webbing (even while the
                tubular nylon webbing was soaked). I am totally sold on it as an end
                knot., as it uses up very little material. The pics I put up last week
                are the very knots I had to untie today. They had been in there for about
                a half-dozen nights of use (and lots of tests).

                Now that they are out, I am going to make little "hammock huggers" using
                this knot and polypro webbing, and then use rope between that and my tree
                straps. Leaving your fly loose just before a storm is stupid, but it sure
                enables the "improvements"!

                Get your name as your email address.