Re: My first night in a hammock

  • Coy
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 28, 2004
      Ah the learning process never ends. but once you get a few trips
      under your belt the suprise factor is reduced. LOL on the tarp, are
      you using a poncho, you mention it but didnt specify. A poncho is
      about as small as you can get and serves dual purpose but a larger
      fly is usually better. The HH fly is about as small as I'd want to
      go. I like the bigger 8 x 10 size I have seen others use. ie Ed,
      Dave and several others. It is a little harder to sleep diagonally
      in most hammocks, even my HH original. The HH Asym's make it a
      little easier. But I sleep just fine in my HH original, homemade
      hammock and the CC LEX. but as you say, practice makes perfect. I
      like practicing sleep:')

      Coy Boy

      --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, Allen Maddox
      <trailsitter@y...> wrote:

      > I've been reading and learning from this list for a while now. I
      guess you call that lurking. Well, I spent my first weekend in a
      hammock this past weekend. I don't have anything special to speak
      of. A Byer Traveler hammock and a silnylon poncho I use as a tarp.

      > It's not a king size Serta with a pillow top, but it beat sleeping
      on the ground, hands down. I couldn't get the diagonal sleeping
      position down. Maybe what I have is too narrow. I'm a belly sleeper,
      but sleeping on my side and back was more comfortable in the hammock
      than on the ground.

      > I do still need to work on my rigging and knots. I figure, like
      anything else worthwhile, it'll come with practice. Now all I need
      is practice.

      > Improvements to make are a bug net and maybe a larger tarp. I
      didn't have any problems with bugs, but in certain environments I
      can see it as an issue. And I'm not confident that my poncho would
      cover me enough keep me dry in a blowing down pore. If I'm wrong
      here, please let me know.

      > Anyway, I'm in. I'll keep my tent for special occasions when the
      hammock just won't fit the bill, but I'll keep tweaking my rig to
      make it better and lighter.