Bugnet Tube a Success
- I have been thinking of how I wanted to add bug netting to my hammock,
and I decided to try out making a tube that was drawn closed at both
ends. This not only gave me coverage from above and below, it also gave
me an unexpected benefit of a bug net that I could use with most any
hammock that I might make in the future. This hammock is a ZHammock
design (thank you Risk!). The only change I made to that design was that
I used a double sheet bend to connect the webbing to the hammock.
The tube is two 4-yard lengths of 58" wide noseeum from OWF (it could
have been a little shorter, but the hammock is 3 yards long, so I gave
myself a little extra length). I sewed these two pieces together along
the long sides to form a tube. I then sewed over a 3/4" channel hem at
each end with two buttonholes as reinforcement for where the drawstring
exited the channel. I used 1/8" smooth nylon drawstring cord and basic
cordlocks. Next time, I'll choose a smaller diameter cord, 1/8" was
unnecessarily thick. Even flat cord would have been better.
I draw the foot end closed before I get in the hammock, then get in and
pull the tube up over my head and draw it closed on the head end from
inside. I used a separate ridgeline rope for the bug net, and I was
pleased that the closed end seemed to slide automatically to the point
where the hammock webbing and ridgeline crossed, making a fairly tight
seal. I suppose I could stuff a bit of clothing in the ends if the bugs
were really on the offensive.
Getting it closed at the head end was relatively easy, as the ridgeline
would pull down just enough for me to draw it tightly closed. It slid
away from me a little towards the point where the ridgeline and webbing
crossed after I let it go, but the drawcord was within easy reach in the
morning, and it didn't take much acrobatics to undo (which is good,
because I'm no acrobat).
This isn't a very good ultralight design, but it does what I was looking
to do. I put some pics of the setup and the hammock end-knot up on a
Jonas4321 album in the Photos section.
Thanks to all the experienced folks for the advice along the way on this
design. Now to tackle the cold weather issues...
Get your name as your email address.
Includes spam protection, 1GB storage, no ads and more
Only $1.99/ month - visit http://www.mysite.com/name today!
--- In firstname.lastname@example.org, jonas4321@j... wrote:
I suppose I could stuff a bit of clothing in the ends if the bugs
were really on the offensive.
You might try treating the ends of your bug net with
permethrin. Any insects trying to get through the small
opening will likely die in the attempt.
Permethrin is also repellent so depending on the size of the hole in
the ends of the tube, and the amount of chemical you can get to stick
to the netting, you may find that those little flying teeth won't
and get through.
- This sounds like a great solution for black flies! It would also be
good for those areas with particularly offensive noseeums or mosquitoes.
>I have been thinking of how I wanted to add bug netting to my hammock,
>and I decided to try out making a tube that was drawn closed at both