Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Air mattress

  • jonas4321@juno.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 28, 2004
      Thanks, Bill. One other thought (after reading the articles about The
      Adventures of Working With Down): How well do you think that man-made
      insulation would work in your design? Again, I have never worked with
      down OR synthetic fills (at least not when making something), so I don't
      know what form the synthetic stuff comes in prior to being sewn between
      the layers of fabric.

      Those links were great, thank you.

      Get your name as your email address.
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 28, 2004
        Jonas, Anything I am doing with Down you could do
        with a synthetic insulation and I would guess it to be
        much easier to work with. I have thought about using
        Polarguard "D" for several things. It hasn't been
        available to the "make-it-yourself" folks but that may
        change someday. I want the Polarguard "D" because it
        is reported that you can squeeze water out of it if it
        gets soaked without hurting it and it will still keep
        you warm when damp/wet. I think that the synthetic
        insulation would be easy to put into the Poly Tubes.
        My 1st thought would be to buy it in a long enough
        piece that I could cut long strips the width and
        length of the Poly Tubing. Then slide the insulation
        into the Poly Tubing and seal that end about 80%. The
        main difference as I see it between Synthetic
        insulation and Down is that Down will compress
        smaller and should be lighter, shell material being
        the same for both items. If you took a 20 degree
        Down bag it would be lighter and compress to a smaller
        size than a Synthetic 20 degree bag. Let me say that
        there are new products coming on the market all the
        time and the weight and compression issue seems to get
        closer and closer everyday. I think cost will be a
        big issue as the weight difference between Down and
        Synthetic gets the same or very close.

        You can buy "remnant" pieces of synthetic insulation
        from "Quest Outterfitters" that doesn't cost much.
        This would give you some to play with and maybe make a
        few small items. I wanted to make a pair of insulated
        Gaiters to wear with my trail runners in cold weather.
        I was able to buy a "remnant" piece for $2.00 that
        was more than enought for the Gaiters.
        http://www.questoutfitters.com/index.html
        Look for the word "REMNANTS" and click on it. What
        they have changes as it is sold but they have some
        listed at this time.

        The pictures are of 200wt. Thinsulate. This should
        give you an idea of what you would be working with. It
        has a backing material on one side to hold it all
        together. This piece was 18" by 60". It had a small
        piece torn from one edge and cost $2.00. The Down I
        get comes in a plastic bag and if you are not careful
        when you open the bag the Down can go everywhere.
        Like a bag of of popcorn that is poping and has a hole
        in the bag = mess. The Down I have came from
        Thru-Hiker.com. It is 800+ and cost $24.00 for 3oz's.
        For me the main advantage of Down is that it will
        compress much smaller than a like (temp rating) item
        made of a synthetic material. This means a smaller
        volume or a pack bag that is smaller and then
        lighter.

        Bill in Texas

        --- jonas4321@... wrote:

        > Thanks, Bill. One other thought (after reading the
        > articles about The
        > Adventures of Working With Down): How well do you
        > think that man-made
        > insulation would work in your design? Again, I have
        > never worked with
        > down OR synthetic fills (at least not when making
        > something), so I don't
        > know what form the synthetic stuff comes in prior to
        > being sewn between
        > the layers of fabric.
        >
        > Those links were great, thank you.

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • ccp5655
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 29, 2004
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, jonas4321@j... wrote:
          > Thanks, Bill. One other thought (after reading the articles about The
          > Adventures of Working With Down): How well do you think that man-made
          > insulation would work in your design? Again, I have never worked with
          > down OR synthetic fills (at least not when making something), so I don't
          > know what form the synthetic stuff comes in prior to being sewn between
          > the layers of fabric.

          Primaloft is available in two thicknesses through Thru-Hiker.com. It
          comes in batts. It's reported to be the wunderkind of synthetic fills.
          Pete