Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Air mattress

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 27, 2004
      Hi Jonas, My first suggestion for you is to read over
      some of the "how-to" articles at some of the many web
      sites for DOWN projects. Here are 2 to start with:
      http://Thru-Hiker.com/workshop.asp look for the
      "DOWN" projects.
      http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html Look for
      the "Sleeping" projects.

      There are other links listed with this group. Reading
      about how others deal with the DOWN and do the
      planning and sewing and what fabric they use for their
      baffles should help you adapt these instructions to
      what you want to do. You do need to be careful when
      handling the DOWN as it can become a mess. Don't ask
      me how I know this. The amount of DOWN you need is a
      Math formula that is in one of the articles and has to
      do with the number of the DOWN you use. 650, -
      800+, etc. I didn't sew through the baffles yet but
      might. This is a sort of an option.

      I don't consider myself very experienced working with
      DOWN - yet.

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
    • jonas4321@juno.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 28, 2004
        Thanks, Bill. One other thought (after reading the articles about The
        Adventures of Working With Down): How well do you think that man-made
        insulation would work in your design? Again, I have never worked with
        down OR synthetic fills (at least not when making something), so I don't
        know what form the synthetic stuff comes in prior to being sewn between
        the layers of fabric.

        Those links were great, thank you.

        Get your name as your email address.
      • Bill Fornshell
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 28, 2004
          Jonas, Anything I am doing with Down you could do
          with a synthetic insulation and I would guess it to be
          much easier to work with. I have thought about using
          Polarguard "D" for several things. It hasn't been
          available to the "make-it-yourself" folks but that may
          change someday. I want the Polarguard "D" because it
          is reported that you can squeeze water out of it if it
          gets soaked without hurting it and it will still keep
          you warm when damp/wet. I think that the synthetic
          insulation would be easy to put into the Poly Tubes.
          My 1st thought would be to buy it in a long enough
          piece that I could cut long strips the width and
          length of the Poly Tubing. Then slide the insulation
          into the Poly Tubing and seal that end about 80%. The
          main difference as I see it between Synthetic
          insulation and Down is that Down will compress
          smaller and should be lighter, shell material being
          the same for both items. If you took a 20 degree
          Down bag it would be lighter and compress to a smaller
          size than a Synthetic 20 degree bag. Let me say that
          there are new products coming on the market all the
          time and the weight and compression issue seems to get
          closer and closer everyday. I think cost will be a
          big issue as the weight difference between Down and
          Synthetic gets the same or very close.

          You can buy "remnant" pieces of synthetic insulation
          from "Quest Outterfitters" that doesn't cost much.
          This would give you some to play with and maybe make a
          few small items. I wanted to make a pair of insulated
          Gaiters to wear with my trail runners in cold weather.
          I was able to buy a "remnant" piece for $2.00 that
          was more than enought for the Gaiters.
          http://www.questoutfitters.com/index.html
          Look for the word "REMNANTS" and click on it. What
          they have changes as it is sold but they have some
          listed at this time.

          The pictures are of 200wt. Thinsulate. This should
          give you an idea of what you would be working with. It
          has a backing material on one side to hold it all
          together. This piece was 18" by 60". It had a small
          piece torn from one edge and cost $2.00. The Down I
          get comes in a plastic bag and if you are not careful
          when you open the bag the Down can go everywhere.
          Like a bag of of popcorn that is poping and has a hole
          in the bag = mess. The Down I have came from
          Thru-Hiker.com. It is 800+ and cost $24.00 for 3oz's.
          For me the main advantage of Down is that it will
          compress much smaller than a like (temp rating) item
          made of a synthetic material. This means a smaller
          volume or a pack bag that is smaller and then
          lighter.

          Bill in Texas

          --- jonas4321@... wrote:

          > Thanks, Bill. One other thought (after reading the
          > articles about The
          > Adventures of Working With Down): How well do you
          > think that man-made
          > insulation would work in your design? Again, I have
          > never worked with
          > down OR synthetic fills (at least not when making
          > something), so I don't
          > know what form the synthetic stuff comes in prior to
          > being sewn between
          > the layers of fabric.
          >
          > Those links were great, thank you.

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • ccp5655
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 29, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, jonas4321@j... wrote:
            > Thanks, Bill. One other thought (after reading the articles about The
            > Adventures of Working With Down): How well do you think that man-made
            > insulation would work in your design? Again, I have never worked with
            > down OR synthetic fills (at least not when making something), so I don't
            > know what form the synthetic stuff comes in prior to being sewn between
            > the layers of fabric.

            Primaloft is available in two thicknesses through Thru-Hiker.com. It
            comes in batts. It's reported to be the wunderkind of synthetic fills.
            Pete