Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Air mattress

  • jonas4321@juno.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 27, 2004
      Bill-

      This is an awesome idea, and I think I understand everything except 1)
      How do you get the down into the mesh tubes without making a huge mess,
      2) Do you sew baffles in the mesh tubes once the down is in there to keep
      it from shifting to one end or the other, and 3) How much down did you
      use in each tube?

      I am helping coordinate Okpik (winter camping training for Boy Scout
      leaders) for this January in the northeast, and I'd like to add a segment
      on hammocks (the "old-timers" think I'm a little nuts). I am going to
      need something like this and probably another like the Pea Pod or
      underquilt. Actually, as many as I have time to build!

      Thanks for sharing!

      Jonas

      On Sat, 25 Sep 2004 11:15:59 -0700 (PDT) Bill Fornshell
      <bfornshell@...> writes:

      > I received an off-line email about using a Air
      > Mattress (my home-made air-mattress or the
      > Stephenson's Down Air Mattress I own I am not sure).
      > I sent a reply but it was not delivered and returned.
      > This is my answer and I hope it gets to the person who
      > asked the question.

      Get your name as your email address.
    • Bill Fornshell
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 27, 2004
        Hi Jonas, My first suggestion for you is to read over
        some of the "how-to" articles at some of the many web
        sites for DOWN projects. Here are 2 to start with:
        http://Thru-Hiker.com/workshop.asp look for the
        "DOWN" projects.
        http://www.backpacking.net/makegear.html Look for
        the "Sleeping" projects.

        There are other links listed with this group. Reading
        about how others deal with the DOWN and do the
        planning and sewing and what fabric they use for their
        baffles should help you adapt these instructions to
        what you want to do. You do need to be careful when
        handling the DOWN as it can become a mess. Don't ask
        me how I know this. The amount of DOWN you need is a
        Math formula that is in one of the articles and has to
        do with the number of the DOWN you use. 650, -
        800+, etc. I didn't sew through the baffles yet but
        might. This is a sort of an option.

        I don't consider myself very experienced working with
        DOWN - yet.

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • jonas4321@juno.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 28, 2004
          Thanks, Bill. One other thought (after reading the articles about The
          Adventures of Working With Down): How well do you think that man-made
          insulation would work in your design? Again, I have never worked with
          down OR synthetic fills (at least not when making something), so I don't
          know what form the synthetic stuff comes in prior to being sewn between
          the layers of fabric.

          Those links were great, thank you.

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 28, 2004
            Jonas, Anything I am doing with Down you could do
            with a synthetic insulation and I would guess it to be
            much easier to work with. I have thought about using
            Polarguard "D" for several things. It hasn't been
            available to the "make-it-yourself" folks but that may
            change someday. I want the Polarguard "D" because it
            is reported that you can squeeze water out of it if it
            gets soaked without hurting it and it will still keep
            you warm when damp/wet. I think that the synthetic
            insulation would be easy to put into the Poly Tubes.
            My 1st thought would be to buy it in a long enough
            piece that I could cut long strips the width and
            length of the Poly Tubing. Then slide the insulation
            into the Poly Tubing and seal that end about 80%. The
            main difference as I see it between Synthetic
            insulation and Down is that Down will compress
            smaller and should be lighter, shell material being
            the same for both items. If you took a 20 degree
            Down bag it would be lighter and compress to a smaller
            size than a Synthetic 20 degree bag. Let me say that
            there are new products coming on the market all the
            time and the weight and compression issue seems to get
            closer and closer everyday. I think cost will be a
            big issue as the weight difference between Down and
            Synthetic gets the same or very close.

            You can buy "remnant" pieces of synthetic insulation
            from "Quest Outterfitters" that doesn't cost much.
            This would give you some to play with and maybe make a
            few small items. I wanted to make a pair of insulated
            Gaiters to wear with my trail runners in cold weather.
            I was able to buy a "remnant" piece for $2.00 that
            was more than enought for the Gaiters.
            http://www.questoutfitters.com/index.html
            Look for the word "REMNANTS" and click on it. What
            they have changes as it is sold but they have some
            listed at this time.

            The pictures are of 200wt. Thinsulate. This should
            give you an idea of what you would be working with. It
            has a backing material on one side to hold it all
            together. This piece was 18" by 60". It had a small
            piece torn from one edge and cost $2.00. The Down I
            get comes in a plastic bag and if you are not careful
            when you open the bag the Down can go everywhere.
            Like a bag of of popcorn that is poping and has a hole
            in the bag = mess. The Down I have came from
            Thru-Hiker.com. It is 800+ and cost $24.00 for 3oz's.
            For me the main advantage of Down is that it will
            compress much smaller than a like (temp rating) item
            made of a synthetic material. This means a smaller
            volume or a pack bag that is smaller and then
            lighter.

            Bill in Texas

            --- jonas4321@... wrote:

            > Thanks, Bill. One other thought (after reading the
            > articles about The
            > Adventures of Working With Down): How well do you
            > think that man-made
            > insulation would work in your design? Again, I have
            > never worked with
            > down OR synthetic fills (at least not when making
            > something), so I don't
            > know what form the synthetic stuff comes in prior to
            > being sewn between
            > the layers of fabric.
            >
            > Those links were great, thank you.

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
          • ccp5655
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 29, 2004
              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, jonas4321@j... wrote:
              > Thanks, Bill. One other thought (after reading the articles about The
              > Adventures of Working With Down): How well do you think that man-made
              > insulation would work in your design? Again, I have never worked with
              > down OR synthetic fills (at least not when making something), so I don't
              > know what form the synthetic stuff comes in prior to being sewn between
              > the layers of fabric.

              Primaloft is available in two thicknesses through Thru-Hiker.com. It
              comes in batts. It's reported to be the wunderkind of synthetic fills.
              Pete