Would this work?

  • jwj32542
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 26, 2004
      I was thinking of making a sleeping bag kinda like Steve's
      underquilt...by sandwiching a space blanket between fleece for the
      bottom part of the bag to lay on, then a normal sleeping bag
      material for the top part. (I'd probably just cut an old synthetic
      bag into a quilt-size, then sew it to the fleece, perhaps with a
      zipper.) Then just climb in, so from top to bottom the order would
      be:

      sleeping bag
      me
      fleece
      space blanket
      fleece
      hammock

      I was thinking this would eliminate the problem of rolling off the
      pad, and would compress much better than open-cell or closed-cell
      pads, and would be much cheaper and easier to make than a down
      underquilt.

      Has anyone tried a similar setup before? How well would this
      insulate? Any better than just a normal sleeping bag in a hammock?

      Would condensation be too much of a problem?

      With the space blanket in there, would the bottom fleece provide
      enough separation to stop the wind from stealing my heat?

      Man, I'm glad I found this site. I didn't realize there was so much
      to hammock camping! I started with a small net hammock that I had
      to tie around myself to stay in at night! Then took several years
      off, and just found out what else is out there. I now have a HH
      Ultralight Asym, but I sleep cold. Even on mild nights (60F, maybe)
      in a 35F bag I wake up with cold spots. Once I fix that, I'll be
      happy with my setup!

      Jeff
    • Jerry Goller
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 26, 2004
        Message
        Well, I've done pretty much the same thing with a Big Agnes bag. But I used closed cell pads instead of fleece. Even with two 3/8 foam pads I got a little cool down in the upper 30's/lower 40s.
        Jerry

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 26, 2004
          I have used 2 pads in my Speer Hammock down to 29
          degrees. The bottom pad is a Target Blue Pad and the
          next pad is an old model Thermarest "Standard" full
          size self-inflating pad that is 1-1/2' thick. It can
          be blown up to 2". With these 2 pads in my Speer
          Hammock and then using a good 20 degree sleeping bag
          and wearing a couple layers of Patagonia underwear, a
          cap and light fleece gloves I was very warm at 29
          degrees, really, almost to warm.

          One of these days I will make something like the Big
          Agnes and Stephenson's Bag design but use the Poly
          Tubes in the construction of both the Air Mattress
          (DAM) (bottom) and Sleeping bag (top). This should
          be good down to a very low temp. maybe 20 or less and
          should weigh much less than anything now being used.
          It will be made so you can remove some or all of the
          Down baffles and adjust the amount of Down for the
          Temp you expect. My guess is a total weight of 20
          ounces or so.

          Bill in Texas

          So many good ideas to try and no cold weather for me
          to test them in.

          --- Jerry Goller <jerrygoller@...>

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129a6evti/M=295196.4901138.6071305.3001176/D=gr

          oups/S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1096299322/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf6/*http://comp
          > anion.yahoo.com> click here

          > :HM/A=2128215/rand=249138932>
          >

          > _____

          > Terms of Service
          > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .

          http://vote.yahoo.com
        • Jerry Goller
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 26, 2004
            Message
            Oh, when using self-inflating pads I've taken my HH down to 5 F. I was just trying to think of something I'd done that might be somewhat close to just fleece.
            Jerry

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 26, 2004
              Good points from everyone. Taking those into account...

              Maybe for a little more flexibility, I could make the bottom a
              fleece pocket instead of sewing the space blanket inside. Then I
              could insert a closed-cell pad, an inflatable pad, or a windshield
              reflector.

              Do the closed-cell and inflatable pads still buckle when they're
              inside the hammock instead of underneath?

              The biggest issue is what will keep me warmest with the least weight
              and bulk (as for most backpackers, I guess). If I can make it work
              with the fleece, that'll be about the same as the underliner/pad
              combo from Tom but much cheaper.

              Jeff
            • Jerry Goller
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 26, 2004
                Message
                All the fleece I've seen was too bulky and heavy for the insulation if provided. But it might work.
                Jerry

                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 29, 2004
                  Hey Jeff, saw your post today on Yahoo....I added a thread
                  (seperate) with some problems I had with my fleece underquilt. I
                  think it would work great, but I think it really needs to be the
                  same shape as the hammock. I tried a whole bunch of things to
                  suspend the fleece underquilt beneath the hammock and it wouldnt
                  work properly.....And I attribute that to the fact that it was
                  square. I think Im going to do this:

                  1. Cut the fleece to fit the shape of the bottom of the hammock.
                  2. Purchase a slightly better quality foil emergency blanket. Mine
                  is that cheap 2 dollar one. They make them that are a bit
                  stronger material, and have grommets on the corners, which may
                  be easier to work with
                  3. Cut another section of fleece to cover the foil and the initial
                  blanket (same size)
                  4. Somehow fasten the 3 layers together (sew, velcro, glue? - any
                  suggestions?)
                  5. Put grommets on the points of the underquilt and perhaps a couple
                  along the edges.
                  6. Put loops of shock-cord through each grommet so that I can
                  Secure the loop to the hammock. The shock-cord should allow
                  the underquilt to flex and form to the shape of the hammock
                  bottom when there is actually someone in it (that was a major
                  problem I ran into...the hammock bottom changes shape
                  significantly when you get into it.

                  Anyways, that's what I plan on doing with it...Ill keep you posted
                  and let you know if it works!
                • Matt O'Brien
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 29, 2004
                    what about adding a fleece layer to the hammock? this way it should
                    stay tight to the hammock and cover the whole bottom. just get a chunk
                    of fleece the same size of as the nylon. layer them before you fold the
                    ends and tie on the webbing. you could even roll your nylon over the
                    edge of the fleece before you hem the sides for a nice finished side.
                    if you don't hem the layers together and you tie on your webbing with a
                    double sheep bend you could remove or even add layers. if the layer of
                    fleece makes the ends of the hammock too thick you might be able to cut
                    the end something like this, |\/\/| or so. i think the most important
                    part of the cut would be leaving the sides strait. so they would stay
                    tight. you might not need a chunk of fleece as wide as the hammock, but
                    if it was you could put some velcro or zipper on the side and seal the
                    hammock around you.

                    just some thoughts, nothing implemented. i'd love to hear the results
                    if anyone tries this.

                    matt