My Attempt At Making An Underquilt

  • Steve
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 20, 2004
      Hello all...This is my first post here, and I just want to say a
      quick hello...Looks like a great group!

      Anyways, Im going on a trip to northern Ontario this weekend and
      expect the temperatures to drop to around freezing. I want to sleep
      in my HH Expedition Asym but have yet to do so in anything but mild
      temperatures. Having read all the great ideas here about
      underquilts, I thought I would make a quick one before my trip this
      weekend. Im sure it will not be perfect, but until I can get my
      hands on some down and a sewing machine, I figure its gotta be
      better than nothing...

      Anyways, here it is: http://home.cogeco.ca/~webcamp/

      I will let you know how it worked when I get back next week!
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 21, 2004
        Steve,

        I hope your underquilt works well. Since it may be untested in cold
        temperatures, I would suggest you also take a closed cell foam pad,
        which is more predictably warm at freezing temps. Try it both ways.
        Underquilts can be quite chilly if not held against the hammock, and
        also chilly if they are compressed against the hammock.

        Having a foam pad also allows "escape to the ground" if it really gets cold.

        Risk

        Steve wrote:

        >Hello all...This is my first post here, and I just want to say a
        >quick hello...Looks like a great group!
        >
        >Anyways, Im going on a trip to northern Ontario this weekend and
        >expect the temperatures to drop to around freezing. I want to sleep
        >in my HH Expedition Asym but have yet to do so in anything but mild
        >temperatures. Having read all the great ideas here about
        >underquilts, I thought I would make a quick one before my trip this
        >weekend. Im sure it will not be perfect, but until I can get my
        >hands on some down and a sewing machine, I figure its gotta be
        >better than nothing...
        >
        >Anyways, here it is: http://home.cogeco.ca/~webcamp/
        >
        >I will let you know how it worked when I get back next week!
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • zippydooda
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 21, 2004
          Steve,

          As far as I know, the emergency blanket should be the outer layer of
          the underquilt, rather than sandwiched between, since its function is
          to prevent radiative cooling. If the shiny side touches something,
          then you are just back to heat transfer by conduction, and a thin
          piece of plastic will not help much on conduction.

          If I'm wrong I hope someone will correct me.

          If its purpose is just to keep the wind from blowing through the
          fleece, then disregard what I have said.

          Thanks for posting the photos. I hope it works great for you. You
          might want to try it outside at home sometime this week if possible,
          even though it will be much cooler in Northern Ontario. Have a super
          trip.

          Bill in Houston

          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 21, 2004
            Steve wrote:

            "Hello all...This is my first post here, and I just want to say a
            quick hello...Looks like a great group!

            Anyways, Im going on a trip to northern Ontario this weekend and
            expect the temperatures to drop to around freezing. I want to sleep
            in my HH Expedition Asym but have yet to do so in anything but mild
            temperatures. Having read all the great ideas here about
            underquilts, I thought I would make a quick one before my trip this
            weekend. Im sure it will not be perfect, but until I can get my
            hands on some down and a sewing machine, I figure its gotta be better
            than nothing...

            Anyways, here it is: http://home.cogeco.ca/~webcamp/

            I will let you know how it worked when I get back next week!"

            Steve,

            How cold where the mild temperatures, how much wind did you get and
            what did you use for bottom side insulation for your hammock in your
            previous experiences?

            I hope it does, but your blanket may not perform to your
            expectations. It is not always easy to keep your backside warm in a
            hammock all night long when the temperatures drop and the wind picks
            up. Pay attention to the previous advise about testing before hand
            and taking a closed cell foam pad for extra insulation or to be able
            to 'escape to the ground' if necessary. You didn't say whether you
            will be backpacking, car camping, etc; but remember that you can't
            call time out and change the conditions when you are out in the
            backcountry... you have to come up with another plan if things start
            getting out of hand.

            Good luck, stay warm and enjoy your hang-time,
            Youngblood
          • Steve
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 21, 2004
              I use a Big Agnes sleeping bag, which has the sleeve on the
              underside for a Therma-rest. It works very well as it stops you
              from sliding off the pad at all. My dad will be sleeping in a 4
              season tent that I am also bringing, so if it doesnt work, I can
              always sleep there.

              If you are bored, check out my site with some photos of some camp
              trips over the past few years....Also some shots of my hammock in
              there...

              http://home.cogeco.ca/~park.pictures.4/

              Cheers!
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 21, 2004
                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <selms@c...> wrote:
                > I use a Big Agnes sleeping bag, which has the sleeve on the
                > underside for a Therma-rest. It works very well as it stops you
                > from sliding off the pad at all. My dad will be sleeping in a 4
                > season tent that I am also bringing, so if it doesnt work, I can
                > always sleep there.
                >
                > If you are bored, check out my site with some photos of some camp
                > trips over the past few years....Also some shots of my hammock in
                > there...
                >
                > http://home.cogeco.ca/~park.pictures.4/
                >
                > Cheers!

                Steve,

                Yeah, that makes a BIG difference. Some of us were worried that you
                were likely to freeze your arse off and were trying to tell you that
                in a polite way, but you had the situation well in hand all along.

                Have a great trip,
                Youngblood
              • Amy Skowronek
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 21, 2004
                  On Sep 21, 2004, at 10:01 AM, Steve wrote:

                  > If you are bored, check out my site with some photos of some camp
                  > trips over the past few years....Also some shots of my hammock in
                  > there...
                  >
                  > http://home.cogeco.ca/~park.pictures.4/

                  That is my favorite online album ever.

                  -amy
                • Eric Sandberg
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 22, 2004
                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Steve" <selms@c...> wrote:
                    > > If you are bored, check out my site with some photos of some
                    camp
                    > trips over the past few years....Also some shots of my hammock in
                    > there...
                    >
                    > http://home.cogeco.ca/~park.pictures.4/
                    >
                    > Cheers!

                    Steve, these photos are tremendous. I'm assuming you're a
                    professional photographer - or you should be. Looks like some great
                    trips.

                    Eric
                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 23, 2004
                      Wow thanks for all the nice comments everyone! I am by no means a
                      professional photographer...I just got a digital camera about a year
                      ago and really enjoy playing around with it.....That's the nice
                      thing about digital; you can take as many photo's as you want and
                      just toss the crappy ones!

                      Anyways, thanks again for the kind words and encouragement!