Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Attn Shane "Mirage" : Catenary tarp diagrams...

  • Bill Fornshell
    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 17, 2004
      This question of a lighter Trap is one of great
      interest to me. I had Brian make me a "Large" size
      "MacCat" Trap. Mine is made out of a lighter material
      I supplied him with. This lighter material is
      something I wanted to test in a full size tarp. That
      said, he made my Trap in his normal "Excellent" way.
      He uses what looks to me as 3/4" grosgrain on the
      Ridge Line (129") and what looks like 1" (folded)
      around the edges of the Tarp (380"). The total weight
      of this MacCat is 12.8oz without any tie lines. I
      though about making another Tarp the same size as this
      one with a lighter material than the grosgrain he
      used. I measured and then weighed the grosgrain. My
      first thought was to replace the grosgrain on the
      edges with nylon BIAS tape I have and just do a
      careful "Flat Felled Seam" on the ridge line.

      Doing the Math ( you can check my Math) for this
      version of the Tarp would save me 1.4oz. I decided
      that amount of weight savings was not worth all the
      work. I can drop that much weight with a good haircut
      and a shower.

      The weight of the different grosgrain and BAIS tape
      is:
      3/4" grosgrain per inch = 0.004054
      1" grosgrain per inch = 0.005027
      3/4" BAIS Tape per inch = 0.0027

      The weight of the above may vary a small amount with a
      different brand or a different scale.

      Bill in Texas

      http://vote.yahoo.com