[Hammock Camping] Re: Winter Kit (was Digest...)

  • Ralph Oborn
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 12, 2004
      Good Idea David,

      I put my file under files/Ralph's stuff. I know it is a little off
      topic, but around here it gets down to -20° F for a few nights a
      year and I just don't see a hammock working well at that temp (but
      must keep camping).
      Someone suggested we figure a way to hammock hang in an Igloo. I'm
      working on that. Needed: one big (long) igloo, and sturdy anchors or
      well placed trees....... Working on it.

      Ralph (Igloo hanger wannabee)

      <dchinell@m...> wrote:
      > Ralph:
      >
      > Well *I* sure would like a copy.
      >
      > dchinell@m... - if you don't post it to the list.
      >
      > Always interested in learning from others.
      >
      > Bear

    • Jerry Goller
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 12, 2004
        Message
        I've also used 2" polypro webbing very successfully. It is very light and hydrophobic. I use an aluminum SMC descending ring http://tinyurl.com/6ov6h on each end to stop cutting and it makes it easier to do the figure 8 lashing. I have them in 6', 8', and 10'. I use a black one for the foot end and a green one for the head end. With skins on, it makes it easier to tell end from end.
        Jerry

        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 13, 2004
          I've stayed in my hammock about 8 hours max, however in the winter i
          usually have a kampfire unless I am hiking all day (probably more
          what you do on the AT) so I may not turn in till late. I can read
          much easier in my hammock. In fact in a small tent I cant do much
          of nothing comfortably. In the winter i usually get up early and
          stike camp in the dark. whether I hike a while or fix breakfast
          depends on how cold it is. If it is really cold i will probably
          hike awhile (helps warm me up) till i find a good place to fix
          breakfast and by 8 or so it usually has warmed up quite a bit.
          Cours again the weather in Al is much warmer all around than you,
          Jerry or Steve deal with.

          Coy Boy

          > I agree with Jerry here. It is nice to know that I *can* sleep
          well in
          > a hammock in cold temperatures - snow - wind. It lets me rest
          easier
          > when I am wondering what the weather is really up to. But long
          winter
          > nights in a hammock get pretty boring to me. After about 6 hours
          of
          > sleeping, I need to be doing something else.
          >
          > Rick
          >
          > Jerry Goller wrote:
          >
          > > Hard to tell. Other factors come into play. I personally don't
          want to
          > > want to tie my shelter to two snow laden trees....lol. I also
          like an
          > > enclosed shelter for melting snow and such. Winter nights are
          pretty
          > > long to spend them in a hammock....
          > > I strongly doubt I'd ever become a winter hammock user.
          > > Jerry
          > >

          > > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org
          <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> :
          > > the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the
          planet.

          you can
          > > take what you need for 50, then take more for really cold
          weather.

          > > Coy Boy
          > >

          > > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*

          <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129uk21ml/M=295196.4901138.6071305.30011
          76/D=groups/S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1094962502/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf
          6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

          subject=Unsubscribe>

        • David Chinell
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 13, 2004
            Ralph:

            Thanks. That was a fun read. I'm an expatriate
            Canadian living in Florida now, so there's not as
            much opportunity for building snow trenches. My
            sister still lives in Canada though.... Hmmmmm.

            Bear