Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Winter Kit (was Digest...)

  • Dick Matthews
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 12, 2004
      The Hennessy Supershelter 4 Season System arrived Friday, September 10.  The OverCover is out of stock and will ship later.

      13.1 oz. for both the UnderCover and UnderPad.
      vs.
      25"X72"X3/8" closed cell pad 10.1 oz.

      I hike primarily in the Colorado Rockies above 10,000 feet.  Frost on the 4th of July is normal.  On Memorial Day weekend we had an overnight low of 15.  On Labor Day weekend I got about 4" of snow.

      The set up video on the Hennessy site is very helpful and will reduce the initial setup time.  I enjoy experimenting with gear at home, but have a very low tolerance for gear with a high fiddle factor while hiking.  If this system needs to be broken down every morning and set up every night it is a deal breaker for me.  I will figure out a system for carrying it almost assembled or I will revert to the pad.  The assembled pad, undercover and hammock can be stuffed into the side mesh pocket of a Six Moon Designs Starlite pack.  The mesh pocket does not provide enough protection for the open cell pad - a silnylon stuff sack or switching with gear inside the pack when the weather is bad or while bushwacking may be necessary.  The Jacks ‘r’ Better Python Skins might be the better answer.

      Tom Hennessy recommends using a second UnderPad or additional insulation in the UnderCover for colder temperatures.  On future hikes I will experiment with a space blanket, a couple of Gossamer Gear ThinLight pads, and a PolarGuard Delta 2" loft quilt.

      The Campmor Ultralite Extension Poncho/Tarp has been a very good replacement fly for the hammock, but a rain jacket to wear around camp is needed.

      Longer Tree Huggers often are needed here in the Rockies.  A 7mm kernmantle rope about 3' long tied to the tree hugger loops with a sheet bend make very good extenders.  It seems the tree huggers still protect the tree as long as they go about 2/3 around the tree.

      I have been trimming the 72" closed cell pad by 6" each time and sleeping a few nights with the shortened pad to see how long a pad is necessary for comfort with an Nunatak Arc Alpinist.  The pad is currently at 60" and I think I will take another 6" off.

      I started with a Big Agnes Zirkle bag and a RidgeRest pad cut to mummy shape but now have converted to the Arc Alpinist with the 25" wide closed cell pad.  The quilt allows you to bend the knees a lot more and 20" wide pad was just not wide enough to prevent cold compression spots.

      This post is weak on trail testing, but there was so much curiosity about the system that even incomplete information may be interesting.  The shelter is out there being used and by Thanksgiving we all will know a lot more

      Dick Matthews

      SF Nazdarovye wrote:
      On Sep 10, 2004, at 8:08 PM, Coy wrote:

       Out
      in the Sierras it gets a lot colder than here in the southeast but
      the air is usually dryer.  I find the really cold nights (mid 20's)
      around here as comfortable as those 40 degeree nights when its rainy
      and damp cause whe it gets really cold around here it is usually
      when the air is the driest.

      Agreed - that's definitely a factor. So is wind, which hammocks seem
      particularly susceptible to (that's why I wanted to try the slit trench
      in winter).

      I do like the sound of the flexible system Hennessy has come up with -
      sounds fairly flexible, and I look forward to trying it out at some
      point.

      - Steve

      http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/z1TolB/TM

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 12, 2004
        Good Idea David,

        I put my file under files/Ralph's stuff. I know it is a little off
        topic, but around here it gets down to -20° F for a few nights a
        year and I just don't see a hammock working well at that temp (but
        must keep camping).
        Someone suggested we figure a way to hammock hang in an Igloo. I'm
        working on that. Needed: one big (long) igloo, and sturdy anchors or
        well placed trees....... Working on it.

        Ralph (Igloo hanger wannabee)

        <dchinell@m...> wrote:
        > Ralph:
        >
        > Well *I* sure would like a copy.
        >
        > dchinell@m... - if you don't post it to the list.
        >
        > Always interested in learning from others.
        >
        > Bear

      • Jerry Goller
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 12, 2004
          Message
          I've also used 2" polypro webbing very successfully. It is very light and hydrophobic. I use an aluminum SMC descending ring http://tinyurl.com/6ov6h on each end to stop cutting and it makes it easier to do the figure 8 lashing. I have them in 6', 8', and 10'. I use a black one for the foot end and a green one for the head end. With skins on, it makes it easier to tell end from end.
          Jerry

          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 13, 2004
            I've stayed in my hammock about 8 hours max, however in the winter i
            usually have a kampfire unless I am hiking all day (probably more
            what you do on the AT) so I may not turn in till late. I can read
            much easier in my hammock. In fact in a small tent I cant do much
            of nothing comfortably. In the winter i usually get up early and
            stike camp in the dark. whether I hike a while or fix breakfast
            depends on how cold it is. If it is really cold i will probably
            hike awhile (helps warm me up) till i find a good place to fix
            breakfast and by 8 or so it usually has warmed up quite a bit.
            Cours again the weather in Al is much warmer all around than you,
            Jerry or Steve deal with.

            Coy Boy

            > I agree with Jerry here. It is nice to know that I *can* sleep
            well in
            > a hammock in cold temperatures - snow - wind. It lets me rest
            easier
            > when I am wondering what the weather is really up to. But long
            winter
            > nights in a hammock get pretty boring to me. After about 6 hours
            of
            > sleeping, I need to be doing something else.
            >
            > Rick
            >
            > Jerry Goller wrote:
            >
            > > Hard to tell. Other factors come into play. I personally don't
            want to
            > > want to tie my shelter to two snow laden trees....lol. I also
            like an
            > > enclosed shelter for melting snow and such. Winter nights are
            pretty
            > > long to spend them in a hammock....
            > > I strongly doubt I'd ever become a winter hammock user.
            > > Jerry
            > >

            > > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org
            <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> :
            > > the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the
            planet.

            you can
            > > take what you need for 50, then take more for really cold
            weather.

            > > Coy Boy
            > >

            > > *Yahoo! Groups Sponsor*

            <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129uk21ml/M=295196.4901138.6071305.30011
            76/D=groups/S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1094962502/A=2128215/R=0/SIG=10se96mf
            6/*http://companion.yahoo.com>

            subject=Unsubscribe>

          • David Chinell
            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 13, 2004
              Ralph:

              Thanks. That was a fun read. I'm an expatriate
              Canadian living in Florida now, so there's not as
              much opportunity for building snow trenches. My
              sister still lives in Canada though.... Hmmmmm.

              Bear