Re: [Hammock Camping] Re: Winter Kit (was Digest...)

  • jonas4321@juno.com
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 10, 2004
      Message
      The first night I ever spent outdoors in a hammock was 15 degrees. I have become a winter person ever since I took Okpik winter camping training as a Boy Scout leader. I love the no bugs and few people. And the cold ground is no more comfortable than the warm one.

      On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:14:52 -0600 "Jerry Goller" <jerrygoller@...> writes:
      Hard to tell. Other factors come into play. I personally don't want to want to tie my shelter to two snow laden trees....lol. I also like an enclosed shelter for melting snow and such. Winter nights are pretty long to spend them in a hammock....
      I strongly doubt I'd ever become a winter hammock user.
      Jerry

    • Ralph Oborn
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 10, 2004
        No snakes either, And usually no people.

        Would you like my sheet I use to teach winter camping?
        I developed it for our local University of Scouting.

        Ralph ( I used to be an Antelopee...)

        <jerrygoller@...> writes:

        Hard to tell. Other factors come into play. I personally don't want to
        want to tie my shelter to two snow laden trees....lol. I also like an
        enclosed shelter for melting snow and such. Winter nights are pretty
        long to spend them in a hammock....
        I strongly doubt I'd ever become a winter hammock user.
        Jerry

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Jerry Goller
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 10, 2004
          Message
          I did the original testing when Tom was trying to come up with something to work in deep winter. While I successfully slept in a hammock at 5 F, I was also in a typical Utah winter....deep snow. I just never felt a hammock would be a suitable shelter for winter here.
          Jerry

          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 10, 2004
            Message
            Oh, I definitely agree that winter camping can be better for the reasons you mentioned. But I'd still rather have a tent for deep snow conditions.
            Jerry

            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 10, 2004
              Down to 50, geez, even us desert dwellers need more than that. Boy
              that's barely enough for summer hammocking where Rick lives. :)

              jamie in az (108 F today)

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller"

              http://www.BackpackGearTest.org : the
              > most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

              I'll
              > be able to try that this year, earlier in the season!
              >
              > - Steve
              >
              > On Sep 10, 2004, at 10:13 AM, gwelker@c... wrote:
              >
              > > 50 F? That sounds dissapointing. I can get to that with my
              winter
              > > bag and
              > > thermarest now. It's the 50 down to 30 range I want to get into!
              >

              > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129g3n4v8/M=296572.5305651.6444487.300117
              6/D=gr

              oups/S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1094923906/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12ics5odi/*http:
              //clk.

              atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1094837506587566>

              oups/S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1094923906/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12ics5odi/*http:
              //clk.

              atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1094837506587566>

              > Get unlimited calls to
              >
              > U.S./Canada

              <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=10
              948375
              > 06587566>
              >
              > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
              M=296572.5305651.6444487.3001176/D=groups/S=
              > :HM/A=2343726/rand=243688354>
              >

              > _____

              subject=Unsubscribe>

              Service
              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
            • Jerry Goller
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 11, 2004
                Message
                Well, he's also working on an under quilt that will go much lower.
                Jerry

                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 11, 2004
                  I agree with Jerry here. It is nice to know that I *can* sleep well in
                  a hammock in cold temperatures - snow - wind. It lets me rest easier
                  when I am wondering what the weather is really up to. But long winter
                  nights in a hammock get pretty boring to me. After about 6 hours of
                  sleeping, I need to be doing something else.

                  Rick

                  Jerry Goller wrote:

                  > Hard to tell. Other factors come into play. I personally don't want to
                  > want to tie my shelter to two snow laden trees....lol. I also like an
                  > enclosed shelter for melting snow and such. Winter nights are pretty
                  > long to spend them in a hammock....
                  > I strongly doubt I'd ever become a winter hammock user.
                  > Jerry
                  >

                  > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> :
                  > the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

                • Jerry Goller
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 11, 2004
                    Message
                    Tom also envisioned there being a space blanket between the foam and the hammock for temps below 50 F. It would make the rig much warmer and stop condensation in the foam. He's trying to make an incremental insulation setup so as to be light as possible considering the individual's body metabolism and the conditions for any particular trip. He feels that ratings, other than ones you find out on your own about yourself and your preferred gear combos, probably don't mean all that much. It's just something each of you will have to play with and establish your own combination that works for you.
                    Jerry

                    Jerry Goller wrote:

                    > Hard to tell. Other factors come into play. I personally don't want to
                    > want to tie my shelter to two snow laden trees....lol. I also like an
                    > enclosed shelter for melting snow and such. Winter nights are pretty
                    > long to spend them in a hammock....
                    > I strongly doubt I'd ever become a winter hammock user.
                    > Jerry

                    > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> :
                    > the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

                  • Steve
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 11, 2004
                      ...getting off topic....

                      Hi, Ralph. I also do some scout leader training....we're also
                      talking about taking our boys in the troop to shining rock in
                      january, and need to develop some training for the plc. would love
                      to see what you've developed. would you mind sharing?

                      If you'd like, you can email me off list...

                      Thanks!

                      Steve (I used to be a fox...)

                      ....back to topic!

                      > No snakes either, And usually no people.
                      >
                      > Would you like my sheet I use to teach winter camping?
                      > I developed it for our local University of Scouting.
                      >
                      > Ralph ( I used to be an Antelopee...)

                    • David Chinell
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 12, 2004
                        Ralph:

                        Well *I* sure would like a copy.

                        dchinell@... - if you don't post it to the list.

                        Always interested in learning from others.

                        Bear

                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 12, 2004
                          The Hennessy Supershelter 4 Season System arrived Friday, September 10.  The OverCover is out of stock and will ship later.

                          13.1 oz. for both the UnderCover and UnderPad.
                          vs.
                          25"X72"X3/8" closed cell pad 10.1 oz.

                          I hike primarily in the Colorado Rockies above 10,000 feet.  Frost on the 4th of July is normal.  On Memorial Day weekend we had an overnight low of 15.  On Labor Day weekend I got about 4" of snow.

                          The set up video on the Hennessy site is very helpful and will reduce the initial setup time.  I enjoy experimenting with gear at home, but have a very low tolerance for gear with a high fiddle factor while hiking.  If this system needs to be broken down every morning and set up every night it is a deal breaker for me.  I will figure out a system for carrying it almost assembled or I will revert to the pad.  The assembled pad, undercover and hammock can be stuffed into the side mesh pocket of a Six Moon Designs Starlite pack.  The mesh pocket does not provide enough protection for the open cell pad - a silnylon stuff sack or switching with gear inside the pack when the weather is bad or while bushwacking may be necessary.  The Jacks ‘r’ Better Python Skins might be the better answer.

                          Tom Hennessy recommends using a second UnderPad or additional insulation in the UnderCover for colder temperatures.  On future hikes I will experiment with a space blanket, a couple of Gossamer Gear ThinLight pads, and a PolarGuard Delta 2" loft quilt.

                          The Campmor Ultralite Extension Poncho/Tarp has been a very good replacement fly for the hammock, but a rain jacket to wear around camp is needed.

                          Longer Tree Huggers often are needed here in the Rockies.  A 7mm kernmantle rope about 3' long tied to the tree hugger loops with a sheet bend make very good extenders.  It seems the tree huggers still protect the tree as long as they go about 2/3 around the tree.

                          I have been trimming the 72" closed cell pad by 6" each time and sleeping a few nights with the shortened pad to see how long a pad is necessary for comfort with an Nunatak Arc Alpinist.  The pad is currently at 60" and I think I will take another 6" off.

                          I started with a Big Agnes Zirkle bag and a RidgeRest pad cut to mummy shape but now have converted to the Arc Alpinist with the 25" wide closed cell pad.  The quilt allows you to bend the knees a lot more and 20" wide pad was just not wide enough to prevent cold compression spots.

                          This post is weak on trail testing, but there was so much curiosity about the system that even incomplete information may be interesting.  The shelter is out there being used and by Thanksgiving we all will know a lot more

                          Dick Matthews

                          SF Nazdarovye wrote:
                          On Sep 10, 2004, at 8:08 PM, Coy wrote:

                           Out
                          in the Sierras it gets a lot colder than here in the southeast but
                          the air is usually dryer.  I find the really cold nights (mid 20's)
                          around here as comfortable as those 40 degeree nights when its rainy
                          and damp cause whe it gets really cold around here it is usually
                          when the air is the driest.

                          Agreed - that's definitely a factor. So is wind, which hammocks seem
                          particularly susceptible to (that's why I wanted to try the slit trench
                          in winter).

                          I do like the sound of the flexible system Hennessy has come up with -
                          sounds fairly flexible, and I look forward to trying it out at some
                          point.

                          - Steve

                          http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/z1TolB/TM

                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 12, 2004
                            Good Idea David,

                            I put my file under files/Ralph's stuff. I know it is a little off
                            topic, but around here it gets down to -20° F for a few nights a
                            year and I just don't see a hammock working well at that temp (but
                            must keep camping).
                            Someone suggested we figure a way to hammock hang in an Igloo. I'm
                            working on that. Needed: one big (long) igloo, and sturdy anchors or
                            well placed trees....... Working on it.

                            Ralph (Igloo hanger wannabee)

                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 12, 2004
                              Message
                              I've also used 2" polypro webbing very successfully. It is very light and hydrophobic. I use an aluminum SMC descending ring http://tinyurl.com/6ov6h on each end to stop cutting and it makes it easier to do the figure 8 lashing. I have them in 6', 8', and 10'. I use a black one for the foot end and a green one for the head end. With skins on, it makes it easier to tell end from end.
                              Jerry

                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 13, 2004
                                I've stayed in my hammock about 8 hours max, however in the winter i
                                usually have a kampfire unless I am hiking all day (probably more
                                what you do on the AT) so I may not turn in till late. I can read
                                much easier in my hammock. In fact in a small tent I cant do much
                                of nothing comfortably. In the winter i usually get up early and
                                stike camp in the dark. whether I hike a while or fix breakfast
                                depends on how cold it is. If it is really cold i will probably
                                hike awhile (helps warm me up) till i find a good place to fix
                                breakfast and by 8 or so it usually has warmed up quite a bit.
                                Cours again the weather in Al is much warmer all around than you,
                                Jerry or Steve deal with.

                                Coy Boy

                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 13, 2004
                                  Ralph:

                                  Thanks. That was a fun read. I'm an expatriate
                                  Canadian living in Florida now, so there's not as
                                  much opportunity for building snow trenches. My
                                  sister still lives in Canada though.... Hmmmmm.

                                  Bear