Re: Winter Kit (was Digest...)

  • SF Nazdarovye
    Message 1 of 25 , Sep 10, 2004
      Hmm - perhaps it varies with metabolism, just like sleeping bags do. I
      have been down into the 30s in my Hennessy without anything special (20
      degree bag and thermal liner; ProLite 3 under torso and foam sit pad
      under legs) and was literally too warm much of the night (had to unzip
      the bag and roll down the liner), so I'm hoping that the winter kit
      will let me extend that by 10-20 degrees.

      Here's the Hennessy in those conditions at Yosemite:

      http://www.brilliantmedia.com/bp/bvc/pages/page_12.html

      I was hoping on that trip to dig a slit trench in the snow between some
      trees and hang the Hennessy inside the trench to see if it would
      increase the comfort range, but the snow melt had started early this
      year and there just wasn't enough of it where we camped. Hopefully I'll
      be able to try that this year, earlier in the season!

      - Steve

      On Sep 10, 2004, at 10:13 AM, gwelker@... wrote:

      > 50 F? That sounds dissapointing. I can get to that with my winter
      > bag and
      > thermarest now. It's the 50 down to 30 range I want to get into!
    • Jerry Goller
      Message 2 of 25 , Sep 10, 2004
        Message
        You just add more insulation.....   ;o) It uses open cell foam. You'll also find that the hammock is much more comfortable to sleep in without the pad inside. I'm pretty sure the under quilt will take it well below 30 F.
        Jerry

           Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 17:47:28 -0600
           From: "Jerry Goller" <jerrygoller@...>
        Subject: RE: Hennessy cold weather system

        I've been involved with the pre-production testing for 6 months or so. So
        far, it seems to work very well down to 50 F or so with open cell foam. Tom
        is working on an under quilt for it. I made one out of an ID Primaliner bag.
        I haven't hand a chance to test it yet, though.
        Jerry

        http://mail2web.com/ .

      • Jerry Goller
        Message 3 of 25 , Sep 10, 2004
          Message
          5 F is the coldest I've taken one down to, using a conventional pad. Tom believes that 80% of his customers want to be able to take the hammock down to 50 F or so and not much more. I agree with him. But the Winter kit is easily expanded to much colder temps by simply adding foam sections under the torso.
          Jerry

          Hmm - perhaps it varies with metabolism, just like sleeping bags do. I
          have been down into the 30s in my Hennessy without anything special (20
          degree bag and thermal liner; ProLite 3 under torso and foam sit pad
          under legs) and was literally too warm much of the night (had to unzip
          the bag and roll down the liner), so I'm hoping that the winter kit
          will let me extend that by 10-20 degrees.

          Here's the Hennessy in those conditions at Yosemite:

          http://www.brilliantmedia.com/bp/bvc/pages/page_12.html

          I was hoping on that trip to dig a slit trench in the snow between some
          trees and hang the Hennessy inside the trench to see if it would
          increase the comfort range, but the snow melt had started early this
          year and there just wasn't enough of it where we camped. Hopefully I'll
          be able to try that this year, earlier in the season!

          - Steve

          On Sep 10, 2004, at 10:13 AM, gwelker@... wrote:

          > 50 F?  That sounds dissapointing.  I can get to that with my winter
          > bag and
          > thermarest now.  It's the 50 down to 30 range I want to get into!

        • Coy
          Message 4 of 25 , Sep 10, 2004
            I'm sure whether a person sleeps warm or not is the biggest factor
            as you mention. the humidity might make a big differance too. Out
            in the Sierras it gets a lot colder than here in the southeast but
            the air is usually dryer. I find the really cold nights (mid 20's)
            around here as comfortable as those 40 degeree nights when its rainy
            and damp cause whe it gets really cold around here it is usually
            when the air is the driest.

            Coy Boy

            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, SF Nazdarovye

            Message 5 of 25 , Sep 10, 2004
              just to be contrary, I think most people interested in a hammock
              down to 50 will want to go year round. But as you say thats the
              beauty of using different inserts (whether foam or a quilt) you can
              take what you need for 50, then take more for really cold weather.

              Coy Boy

              --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller"

              http://www.BackpackGearTest.org : the
              > most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the
              planet.

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129g3n4v8/M=296572.5305651.6444487.30011
              76/D=gr

              oups/S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1094923906/A=2343726/R=0/SIG=12ics5odi/*http
              ://clk.

              atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1094837506587566

              <http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=129g3n4v8/M=296572.5305651.6444487.30011
              76/D=gr

              oups/S=1705065843:HM/EXP=1094923906/A=2343726/R=1/SIG=12ics5odi/*http
              ://clk.

              atdmt.com/VON/go/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1094837506587566

              > Get unlimited calls to
              >
              > U.S./Canada

              <http://view.atdmt.com/VON/view/yhxxxvon01900091von/direct/01/&time=1
              0948375
              > 06587566>
              >
              > <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?
              M=296572.5305651.6444487.3001176/D=groups/S=
              > :HM/A=2343726/rand=243688354>
              >

              > _____

              subject=Unsubscribe>

              Service
              > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
            • SF Nazdarovye
              Message 6 of 25 , Sep 10, 2004
                On Sep 10, 2004, at 8:08 PM, Coy wrote:

                > Out
                > in the Sierras it gets a lot colder than here in the southeast but
                > the air is usually dryer. I find the really cold nights (mid 20's)
                > around here as comfortable as those 40 degeree nights when its rainy
                > and damp cause whe it gets really cold around here it is usually
                > when the air is the driest.

                Agreed - that's definitely a factor. So is wind, which hammocks seem
                particularly susceptible to (that's why I wanted to try the slit trench
                in winter).

                I do like the sound of the flexible system Hennessy has come up with -
                sounds fairly flexible, and I look forward to trying it out at some
                point.

                - Steve
              • Jerry Goller
                Message 7 of 25 , Sep 10, 2004
                  Message
                  Hard to tell. Other factors come into play. I personally don't want to want to tie my shelter to two snow laden trees....lol. I also like an enclosed shelter for melting snow and such. Winter nights are pretty long to spend them in a hammock....
                  I strongly doubt I'd ever become a winter hammock user.
                  Jerry

                • jonas4321@juno.com
                  Message 8 of 25 , Sep 10, 2004
                    Has the issue of open-cell foam soaking up sweat been commented on? It
                    would seem to me that once the pads get wet with sweat, they would
                    increase the chilling effect. Which, I suppose would stop the sweating,
                    but...

                    Get your name as your email address.
                  • SF Nazdarovye
                    Message 9 of 25 , Sep 10, 2004
                      On Sep 10, 2004, at 9:14 PM, Jerry Goller wrote:

                      > Hard to tell. Other factors come into play. I personally don't want to
                      > want to tie my shelter to two snow laden trees....lol. I also like an
                      > enclosed shelter for melting snow and such. Winter nights are pretty
                      > long to spend them in a hammock....

                      LOL - that's a factor I'd not thought much about (I always check for
                      widowmakers; guess it wouldn't hurt to look for heavily-laden branches
                      as well).

                      I guess my interest in the winter hammocking thing is as much out of
                      curiosity as anything...I also am more comfortable with a shelter (even
                      if just my tarptent) to crawl into and hang out in, especially if the
                      weather goes south. Not too eager to be pinned inside a hammock in a
                      howling blizzard.

                      That said, for quick winter overnights in decent weather here in CA
                      I've enjoyed using the hammock so far, and wouldn't mind expanding its
                      temperature range. It sure is comfy to sleep in...

                      - Steve
                    • jonas4321@juno.com
                      Message 10 of 25 , Sep 10, 2004
                        Message
                        The first night I ever spent outdoors in a hammock was 15 degrees. I have become a winter person ever since I took Okpik winter camping training as a Boy Scout leader. I love the no bugs and few people. And the cold ground is no more comfortable than the warm one.

                        On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 22:14:52 -0600 "Jerry Goller" <jerrygoller@...> writes:
                        Hard to tell. Other factors come into play. I personally don't want to want to tie my shelter to two snow laden trees....lol. I also like an enclosed shelter for melting snow and such. Winter nights are pretty long to spend them in a hammock....
                        I strongly doubt I'd ever become a winter hammock user.
                        Jerry

                      • Ralph Oborn
                        Message 11 of 25 , Sep 10, 2004
                          No snakes either, And usually no people.

                          Would you like my sheet I use to teach winter camping?
                          I developed it for our local University of Scouting.

                          Ralph ( I used to be an Antelopee...)

                          Message 12 of 25 , Sep 10, 2004
                            Message
                            I did the original testing when Tom was trying to come up with something to work in deep winter. While I successfully slept in a hammock at 5 F, I was also in a typical Utah winter....deep snow. I just never felt a hammock would be a suitable shelter for winter here.
                            Jerry

                            Message 13 of 25 , Sep 10, 2004
                              Message
                              Oh, I definitely agree that winter camping can be better for the reasons you mentioned. But I'd still rather have a tent for deep snow conditions.
                              Jerry

                              Message 14 of 25 , Sep 10, 2004
                                Down to 50, geez, even us desert dwellers need more than that. Boy
                                that's barely enough for summer hammocking where Rick lives. :)

                                jamie in az (108 F today)

                                Message 15 of 25 , Sep 11, 2004
                                  Message
                                  Well, he's also working on an under quilt that will go much lower.
                                  Jerry

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Sep 11, 2004
                                    I agree with Jerry here. It is nice to know that I *can* sleep well in
                                    a hammock in cold temperatures - snow - wind. It lets me rest easier
                                    when I am wondering what the weather is really up to. But long winter
                                    nights in a hammock get pretty boring to me. After about 6 hours of
                                    sleeping, I need to be doing something else.

                                    Rick

                                    Jerry Goller wrote:

                                    > Hard to tell. Other factors come into play. I personally don't want to
                                    > want to tie my shelter to two snow laden trees....lol. I also like an
                                    > enclosed shelter for melting snow and such. Winter nights are pretty
                                    > long to spend them in a hammock....
                                    > I strongly doubt I'd ever become a winter hammock user.
                                    > Jerry
                                    >

                                    > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> :
                                    > the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

                                  • Jerry Goller
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Sep 11, 2004
                                      Message
                                      Tom also envisioned there being a space blanket between the foam and the hammock for temps below 50 F. It would make the rig much warmer and stop condensation in the foam. He's trying to make an incremental insulation setup so as to be light as possible considering the individual's body metabolism and the conditions for any particular trip. He feels that ratings, other than ones you find out on your own about yourself and your preferred gear combos, probably don't mean all that much. It's just something each of you will have to play with and establish your own combination that works for you.
                                      Jerry

                                      Jerry Goller wrote:

                                      > Hard to tell. Other factors come into play. I personally don't want to
                                      > want to tie my shelter to two snow laden trees....lol. I also like an
                                      > enclosed shelter for melting snow and such. Winter nights are pretty
                                      > long to spend them in a hammock....
                                      > I strongly doubt I'd ever become a winter hammock user.
                                      > Jerry

                                      > http://www.BackpackGearTest.org <http://www.backpackgeartest.org/> :
                                      > the most comprehensive interactive gear reviews and tests on the planet.

                                    • Steve
                                      Message 18 of 25 , Sep 11, 2004
                                        ...getting off topic....

                                        Hi, Ralph. I also do some scout leader training....we're also
                                        talking about taking our boys in the troop to shining rock in
                                        january, and need to develop some training for the plc. would love
                                        to see what you've developed. would you mind sharing?

                                        If you'd like, you can email me off list...

                                        Thanks!

                                        Steve (I used to be a fox...)

                                        ....back to topic!

                                        > No snakes either, And usually no people.
                                        >
                                        > Would you like my sheet I use to teach winter camping?
                                        > I developed it for our local University of Scouting.
                                        >
                                        > Ralph ( I used to be an Antelopee...)

                                      • David Chinell
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Sep 12, 2004
                                          Ralph:

                                          Well *I* sure would like a copy.

                                          dchinell@... - if you don't post it to the list.

                                          Always interested in learning from others.

                                          Bear

                                          Message 20 of 25 , Sep 12, 2004
                                            The Hennessy Supershelter 4 Season System arrived Friday, September 10.  The OverCover is out of stock and will ship later.

                                            13.1 oz. for both the UnderCover and UnderPad.
                                            vs.
                                            25"X72"X3/8" closed cell pad 10.1 oz.

                                            I hike primarily in the Colorado Rockies above 10,000 feet.  Frost on the 4th of July is normal.  On Memorial Day weekend we had an overnight low of 15.  On Labor Day weekend I got about 4" of snow.

                                            The set up video on the Hennessy site is very helpful and will reduce the initial setup time.  I enjoy experimenting with gear at home, but have a very low tolerance for gear with a high fiddle factor while hiking.  If this system needs to be broken down every morning and set up every night it is a deal breaker for me.  I will figure out a system for carrying it almost assembled or I will revert to the pad.  The assembled pad, undercover and hammock can be stuffed into the side mesh pocket of a Six Moon Designs Starlite pack.  The mesh pocket does not provide enough protection for the open cell pad - a silnylon stuff sack or switching with gear inside the pack when the weather is bad or while bushwacking may be necessary.  The Jacks ‘r’ Better Python Skins might be the better answer.

                                            Tom Hennessy recommends using a second UnderPad or additional insulation in the UnderCover for colder temperatures.  On future hikes I will experiment with a space blanket, a couple of Gossamer Gear ThinLight pads, and a PolarGuard Delta 2" loft quilt.

                                            The Campmor Ultralite Extension Poncho/Tarp has been a very good replacement fly for the hammock, but a rain jacket to wear around camp is needed.

                                            Longer Tree Huggers often are needed here in the Rockies.  A 7mm kernmantle rope about 3' long tied to the tree hugger loops with a sheet bend make very good extenders.  It seems the tree huggers still protect the tree as long as they go about 2/3 around the tree.

                                            I have been trimming the 72" closed cell pad by 6" each time and sleeping a few nights with the shortened pad to see how long a pad is necessary for comfort with an Nunatak Arc Alpinist.  The pad is currently at 60" and I think I will take another 6" off.

                                            I started with a Big Agnes Zirkle bag and a RidgeRest pad cut to mummy shape but now have converted to the Arc Alpinist with the 25" wide closed cell pad.  The quilt allows you to bend the knees a lot more and 20" wide pad was just not wide enough to prevent cold compression spots.

                                            This post is weak on trail testing, but there was so much curiosity about the system that even incomplete information may be interesting.  The shelter is out there being used and by Thanksgiving we all will know a lot more

                                            Dick Matthews

                                            http://us.click.yahoo.com/J8kdrA/y20IAA/yQLSAA/z1TolB/TM

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Sep 12, 2004
                                              Good Idea David,

                                              I put my file under files/Ralph's stuff. I know it is a little off
                                              topic, but around here it gets down to -20° F for a few nights a
                                              year and I just don't see a hammock working well at that temp (but
                                              must keep camping).
                                              Someone suggested we figure a way to hammock hang in an Igloo. I'm
                                              working on that. Needed: one big (long) igloo, and sturdy anchors or
                                              well placed trees....... Working on it.

                                              Ralph (Igloo hanger wannabee)

                                              Message 22 of 25 , Sep 12, 2004
                                                Message
                                                I've also used 2" polypro webbing very successfully. It is very light and hydrophobic. I use an aluminum SMC descending ring http://tinyurl.com/6ov6h on each end to stop cutting and it makes it easier to do the figure 8 lashing. I have them in 6', 8', and 10'. I use a black one for the foot end and a green one for the head end. With skins on, it makes it easier to tell end from end.
                                                Jerry

                                                Message 23 of 25 , Sep 13, 2004
                                                  I've stayed in my hammock about 8 hours max, however in the winter i
                                                  usually have a kampfire unless I am hiking all day (probably more
                                                  what you do on the AT) so I may not turn in till late. I can read
                                                  much easier in my hammock. In fact in a small tent I cant do much
                                                  of nothing comfortably. In the winter i usually get up early and
                                                  stike camp in the dark. whether I hike a while or fix breakfast
                                                  depends on how cold it is. If it is really cold i will probably
                                                  hike awhile (helps warm me up) till i find a good place to fix
                                                  breakfast and by 8 or so it usually has warmed up quite a bit.
                                                  Cours again the weather in Al is much warmer all around than you,
                                                  Jerry or Steve deal with.

                                                  Coy Boy

                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Sep 13, 2004
                                                    Ralph:

                                                    Thanks. That was a fun read. I'm an expatriate
                                                    Canadian living in Florida now, so there's not as
                                                    much opportunity for building snow trenches. My
                                                    sister still lives in Canada though.... Hmmmmm.

                                                    Bear