Hennessy cold weather system

  • gwelker@chesapeake.net
    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 8, 2004
      Anyone buy one of th Hennessy cold weather systems and tried it yet?
      Interested in hearing some field reports.
      Greg Welker
    • Shane Steinkamp
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 8, 2004
        > Anyone buy one of th Hennessy cold weather systems and tried it yet?
        > Interested in hearing some field reports.
        > Greg Welker

        We'll be testing them directly on backpackgeartest.org.

        Shane
      • Jodi Cornelius
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 8, 2004
          WOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
          Jodi

          On Wed, 8 Sep 2004 18:00:30 -0500, Shane Steinkamp
          <shane@...> wrote:
          > > Anyone buy one of th Hennessy cold weather systems and tried it yet?
          > > Interested in hearing some field reports.
          > > Greg Welker
          >
          > We'll be testing them directly on backpackgeartest.org.
          >
          > Shane

          Banjo Players Never Die, They Just Take A Break!
          Abnormality is the normality at this locality
        • Mirage
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 8, 2004
            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp" <shane@t...> wrote:
            > > Anyone buy one of th Hennessy cold weather systems and tried it yet?
            > > Interested in hearing some field reports.
            > > Greg Welker
            >
            > We'll be testing them directly on backpackgeartest.org.
            >
            > Shane

            Dang... I'm still a "newbie" till my MSR pole test is done in Dec.... Unless my Micropur
            tablet test will qualify me to no longer be a "newbie" (please, oh please, oh please...)?

            Shane "Mirage"...
          • Shane Steinkamp
            Message 5 of 22 , Sep 8, 2004
              > Dang... I'm still a "newbie" till my MSR pole test is done in
              > Dec.... Unless my Micropur
              > tablet test will qualify me to no longer be a "newbie" (please,
              > oh please, oh please...)?

              You can't win if you don't apply... ;)

              Shane
            • Mirage
              Message 6 of 22 , Sep 9, 2004
                <shane@t...> wrote:
                > > Dang... I'm still a "newbie" till my MSR pole test is done in
                > > Dec.... Unless my Micropur
                > > tablet test will qualify me to no longer be a "newbie" (please,
                > > oh please, oh please...)?
                >
                > You can't win if you don't apply... ;)
                >
                > Shane

                I've been OOP, did I miss a test call for these? %^0

                Shane "Mirage"...
              • ra1@imrisk.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Sep 9, 2004
                  Quoting Mirage <mirage@...>:

                  > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Shane Steinkamp"
                  > <shane@t...> wrote:
                  > > > Dang... I'm still a "newbie" till my MSR pole test is done in
                  > > > Dec.... Unless my Micropur
                  > > > tablet test will qualify me to no longer be a "newbie" (please,
                  > > > oh please, oh please...)?
                  > >
                  > > You can't win if you don't apply... ;)
                  > >
                  > > Shane
                  >
                  > I've been OOP, did I miss a test call for these? %^0
                  >
                  > Shane "Mirage"...

                  No,

                  Shane was just rubbing a little fog off the glass. Glimpses are sometimes
                  useful to everyone.

                  Rick
                • Shane Steinkamp
                  Message 8 of 22 , Sep 9, 2004
                    > Shane was just rubbing a little fog off the glass. Glimpses are
                    > sometimes useful to everyone.

                    Nuts. You blew it. We could have had him going...

                    Shane
                  • Jerry Goller
                    Message 9 of 22 , Sep 9, 2004
                      Message
                      I've been involved with the pre-production testing for 6 months or so. So far, it seems to work very well down to 50 F or so with open cell foam. Tom is working on an under quilt for it. I made one out of an ID Primaliner bag. I haven't hand a chance to test it yet, though.
                      Jerry

                      Message 10 of 22 , Sep 9, 2004
                        <shane@t...> wrote:
                        > > Shane was just rubbing a little fog off the glass. Glimpses are
                        > > sometimes useful to everyone.
                        >
                        > Nuts. You blew it. We could have had him going...

                        Almost, but then I thought to search the archives and appeased my
                        fear of missing a cool test opportunity (speaking before thinking
                        always I mmmmmm)... ;)

                        Shane "Mirage"...
                      • jwj32542
                        Message 11 of 22 , Sep 25, 2004
                          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller"
                          <jerrygoller@b...> wrote:
                          > I've been involved with the pre-production testing for 6 months or
                          so. So
                          > far, it seems to work very well down to 50 F or so with open cell
                          foam. Tom
                          > is working on an under quilt for it. I made one out of an ID
                          Primaliner bag.
                          > I haven't hand a chance to test it yet, though.
                          > Jerry

                          I read that the underliner won't work with closed-cell foam. Why
                          not? Just because of the shape?

                          Jeff
                        • Jerry Goller
                          Message 12 of 22 , Sep 25, 2004
                            Message
                            It's not the underliner, it's the closed cell foam. Closed cell foam forms "ripples" when it tries to conform to the shape of a HH underneath, just like is does when you use it inside the hammock. The silnylon isn't tight enough to force it to conform so you get cold channels down the sides. BTW, open cell is lighter, compresses better, and is cheaper than closed cell foam.
                            Jerry

                            Message 13 of 22 , Sep 25, 2004
                              <jerrygoller@b...> wrote:
                              > It's not the underliner, it's the closed cell foam. Closed cell
                              foam forms
                              > "ripples" when it tries to conform to the shape of a HH
                              underneath, just
                              > like is does when you use it inside the hammock. The silnylon
                              isn't tight
                              > enough to force it to conform so you get cold channels down the
                              sides. BTW,
                              > open cell is lighter, compresses better, and is cheaper than
                              closed cell
                              > foam.

                              That makes sense. I was thinking about carrying along closed-cell
                              foam for nights when I want to sleep in a shelter, but not if it
                              won't also work with the underliner.

                              Doesn't the open-cell come in 40" width? I guess I could fold it in
                              half and lay on that if I had to.

                              Any word on whether the underliner/pad is warmer than the down
                              underquilts?

                              Jeff
                            • Jerry Goller
                              Message 14 of 22 , Sep 25, 2004
                                Message

                                Doesn't the open-cell come in 40" width?  I guess I could fold it in
                                half and lay on that if I had to.
                                Jerry Goller] So far, I've only been able to find 24" in either 1/2" or 1" thick open cell. For me, somewhere between 32" and 36" would be perfect. Tom will be selling a set up like this made for the hammock. A key part of getting it to fit right is the elastic cords at the head and foot of the pad that force it to assume a boat shape, therefore hugging your body.

                                Any word on whether the underliner/pad is warmer than the down
                                underquilts?
                                [Jerry Goller]  That's like asking if a synthetic bag is warmer than a down bag....   ;o) It depends on how thick the foam versus how much loft on the down.

                                Jerry

                                • Shane Steinkamp
                                  Message 15 of 22 , Sep 25, 2004
                                    Message
                                     >  BTW, open cell is lighter, compresses better, and is cheaper than closed cell
                                    >  foam.

                                    It also absorbs water.

                                    Shane
                                  • Jerry Goller
                                    Message 16 of 22 , Sep 25, 2004
                                      Message
                                      That's why you're not supposed to take it swimming, silly......    ;o)
                                      It's under the hammock and inside the silnylon lower cover. How is it supposed to get wet? I've heard something about condensation under the hammock but I've never experienced it. I also tend to put a piece of space blanket on top of the foam.

                                       >  BTW, open cell is lighter, compresses better, and is cheaper than closed cell
                                      >  foam.

                                      It also absorbs water.

                                      Shane

                                    • Shane Steinkamp
                                      Message 17 of 22 , Sep 25, 2004
                                        > That's why you're not supposed to take it swimming,
                                        > silly...... ;o)

                                        > It's under the hammock and inside the silnylon lower cover.
                                        > How is it supposed to get wet? I've heard something about
                                        > condensation under the hammock but I've never experienced
                                        > it. I also tend to put a piece of space blanket on top of
                                        > the foam.

                                        Well, I don't expect it to get wet when it's in place, but packing and
                                        unpacking isn't going to always be in sun shiny weather. You've been in the
                                        swamp. Is there ANY piece of your gear that you always kept dry? It all
                                        gets wet at some point.

                                        Maybe I'm just sloppy...

                                        Shane
                                        Message 18 of 22 , Sep 26, 2004
                                          <jerrygoller@b...> wrote:
                                          > That's why you're not supposed to take it swimming,
                                          silly...... ;o)
                                          > It's under the hammock and inside the silnylon lower cover. How is
                                          it
                                          > supposed to get wet? I've heard something about condensation under
                                          the
                                          > hammock but I've never experienced it. I also tend to put a piece
                                          of space
                                          > blanket on top of the foam.

                                          Jerry,

                                          This is what I think happens, but as usual, I might not have it
                                          figured out right.

                                          Insensible perspiration tends to condense somewhere beneath you when
                                          the vapor associated with insensible perspiration is stopped by a
                                          vapor-proof barrier. (Have you ever slept directly on a closed cell
                                          foam pad and had whatever material that was in contact with the pad
                                          wet or damp in the morning?) However, if you have a wicking material
                                          on top of the vapor-proof barrier it might manage the moisture well
                                          enough so that moisture build up is not an issue. I believe this
                                          would be the case with Shane's Ultimate Pad since it is wrapped with
                                          fabric that wicks and manages moisture buildup. This is also the
                                          case with my two-layer hammock that has a layer of wicking fabric on
                                          top of closed cell foam pads.

                                          In your case with the space blanket acting as a vapor barrier on top
                                          of the open cell foam, the moisture tends to collect there and the
                                          bed of the hammock in contact with the space blanket wicks out and
                                          manages the moisture. Without the space blanket I would suspect the
                                          moisture associated with insensible perspiration would condense on
                                          the inside of the silnylon lower cover and that the open cell foam
                                          might soak up some of it. I wouldn't think that in most cases the
                                          moisture buildup would be severe enough to require you to have to do
                                          anything more that wring-out the open cell foam pad in the morning.
                                          However, if you feel like the humidity is excessive and
                                          uncomfortable, then maybe you need to rethink how your system is
                                          handling insensible perspiration and make a change or two.

                                          Youngblood
                                        • jwj32542
                                          Message 19 of 22 , Sep 26, 2004
                                            --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Jerry Goller" > Jerry
                                            Goller] So far, I've only been able to find 24" in either 1/2" or 1"
                                            > thick open cell. For me, somewhere between 32" and 36" would be
                                            perfect. Tom
                                            > will be selling a set up like this made for the hammock. A key
                                            part of
                                            > getting it to fit right is the elastic cords at the head and foot
                                            of the pad
                                            > that force it to assume a boat shape, therefore hugging your body.

                                            Hrm...I was thinking I saw 40" somewhere.

                                            > [Jerry Goller] That's like asking if a synthetic bag is warmer
                                            than a down
                                            > bag.... ;o) It depends on how thick the foam versus how much
                                            loft on the
                                            > down.

                                            True...I guess I should have said for a comparable weight/bulk. For
                                            example, the underquilt at JacksRBetter is 20oz, and this setup is
                                            13+oz. I see now that Tom's ratings are ~50*...didn't know that
                                            when I wrote the last message. How cold have people gotten in an
                                            underquilt similar to Jack's?

                                            Jeff
                                          • Jerry Goller
                                            Message 20 of 22 , Sep 26, 2004
                                              Message
                                              That could certainly be. I've lived in Utah for as long as I've been using hammocks. Moisture buildup just isn't that big of a problem here.....   ;o)
                                              Jerry

                                              Message 21 of 22 , Sep 26, 2004
                                                Message
                                                Tom's current foam pad is 3/8" open cell.. I've used that, with a space blanket, down to 45 F with no problems. It may go lower. He's now got some egg create foam he is going to make some out of that will be both wider and thicker. We'll see how that does. It may well go as cold as I normally take a hammock, 30 F. 40 F is a "normal" summer night in the mountains.
                                                I'm not sure how the weight ratio will turn out. You need so much less insulation on the bottom that it may end up *too* thin for down. I would certainly expect even 1" open cell foam to weigh well under 16 oz. I doubt you'll get a down quilt to weigh less than that. Tom's current stock pad weighs just under 6 oz.
                                                Jerry

                                                Goller] So far, I've only been able to find 24" in either 1/2" or 1"
                                                > thick open cell. For me, somewhere between 32" and 36" would be
                                                perfect. Tom
                                                > will be selling a set up like this made for the hammock. A key
                                                part of
                                                > getting it to fit right is the elastic cords at the head and foot
                                                of the pad
                                                > that force it to assume a boat shape, therefore hugging your body.

                                                Hrm...I was thinking I saw 40" somewhere.

                                                > [Jerry Goller]  That's like asking if a synthetic bag is warmer
                                                than a down
                                                > bag....   ;o) It depends on how thick the foam versus how much
                                                loft on the
                                                > down.

                                                True...I guess I should have said for a comparable weight/bulk.  For
                                                example, the underquilt at JacksRBetter is 20oz, and this setup is
                                                13+oz.  I see now that Tom's ratings are ~50*...didn't know that
                                                when I wrote the last message.  How cold have people gotten in an
                                                underquilt similar to Jack's?

                                                Jeff

                                              • Lenny Nichols
                                                Message 22 of 22 , Sep 27, 2004

                                                  > How cold have people gotten in an
                                                  > underquilt similar to Jack's?

                                                  I was cold using Jack's system in my HH at about 40 degrees in August (in Colorado). In September I was comfortable at 29 degrees, using Jack's underquilt + a K-Mart blue pad. I also switched Jack's "over" quilt with my Western Mountaineering bag as a quilt.

                                                  Lenny Nichols