Change of plans

  • starnescr <starnescr@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 10 , Feb 18 4:47 PM
      Hi Steven

      I just discussed travel plans with Paul. We both saw the forcast of
      possible strorms Friday night. Plus my kids want to go to the state
      tourny Friday and watch DAR girls and boys. We have decided to
      leave out early Sat morning. We plan leaving Grant at around 3 AM.
      that will put us in the Atlanta area around 6 to 6:30 AM. AL time.
      David said it was about 2 more hours from Atl to the camp area. So
      that should allow plenty of time to get there by the 10:AM So if you
      still need a ride plan accordingly.

      Coy Boy
      Message 2 of 10 , Feb 18 5:17 PM
        Message
        For those with a long drive--we have plenty of time on Sat to make the campsite by 4 pm; it's only a 5 mi-3 hr hike.  So we will wait for any late comers that we know are actually coming.  We can leave at noon and still make camp in plenty of time.  However, if we still shoot for 10 am departure, we'll have a more relaxed hike and can lunch beside the river...Ed

      • Dave Womble <dpwomble@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 10 , Feb 18 5:23 PM
          --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "starnescr <starnescr@y...>"
          <starnescr@y...> wrote:
          > Hi Steven
          >
          > I just discussed travel plans with Paul. We both saw the forcast
          of
          > possible strorms Friday night. Plus my kids want to go to the state
          > tourny Friday and watch DAR girls and boys. We have decided to
          > leave out early Sat morning. We plan leaving Grant at around 3
          AM.
          > that will put us in the Atlanta area around 6 to 6:30 AM. AL time.
          > David said it was about 2 more hours from Atl to the camp area. So
          > that should allow plenty of time to get there by the 10:AM So if
          you
          > still need a ride plan accordingly.
          >
          > Coy Boy

          Coy Boy,

          Be careful, it's a little over 2 hours from the EAST side of Atlanta
          (the I-85N/I-285 intersection). It takes about 1/2 to 3/4 hour to
          get from the west side of Atlanta to the east side. By the way,
          there is a Hardees and a Burger King on SC28 in Walhalla that serve
          breakfast...last ones before the trailhead.

          I'm also looking forward to meeting some other hammock hangers and
          learning a few things. Maybe I can even buy an autographed copy of
          Ed's new book...Ed can you bring me a copy?

          Youngblood

            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 18 6:37 PM
              We should be there by 10 SC time but you never know. I'll have my
              cell with me and if I had another hammokers cell # I could call if
              we get delayed. My Cell # is 256-738-4453 To bad I don't have
              coverage at my house. I only use my cell on the road and at work
              and never use my minutes.

              Coy Boy

              Message 6 of 10 , Feb 18 6:44 PM
                Yea I hate driving in Atlanta. Hopefully early Sat morning the
                traffic will be light. I may be coming from 75S to 285 bypass then
                up 85. Any construction projects which would make 20 a better choice?

                Coy Boy

                --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Womble <dpwomble@y...>"
                <dpwomble@y...> wrote:
                > --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "starnescr
                <starnescr@y...>"
                > <starnescr@y...> wrote:
                > > Hi Steven
                > >
                > > I just discussed travel plans with Paul. We both saw the
                forcast
                > of
                > > possible strorms Friday night. Plus my kids want to go to the
                state
                > > tourny Friday and watch DAR girls and boys. We have decided to
                > > leave out early Sat morning. We plan leaving Grant at around 3
                > AM.
                > > that will put us in the Atlanta area around 6 to 6:30 AM. AL
                time.
                > > David said it was about 2 more hours from Atl to the camp area.
                So
                > > that should allow plenty of time to get there by the 10:AM So if
                > you
                > > still need a ride plan accordingly.
                > >
                > > Coy Boy
                >
                > Coy Boy,
                >
                > Be careful, it's a little over 2 hours from the EAST side of
                Atlanta
                > (the I-85N/I-285 intersection). It takes about 1/2 to 3/4 hour to
                > get from the west side of Atlanta to the east side. By the way,
                > there is a Hardees and a Burger King on SC28 in Walhalla that
                serve
                > breakfast...last ones before the trailhead.
                >
                > I'm also looking forward to meeting some other hammock hangers and
                > learning a few things. Maybe I can even buy an autographed copy
                of
                > Ed's new book...Ed can you bring me a copy?
                >
                > Youngblood
              • Marge Prothman
                Message 7 of 10 , Feb 18 7:09 PM
                  Gosh, I am reading all this with great interest, but Coy, what is
                  another - 'hammokers' ? I wanna come too.
                  Cheers,
                  Marge [The Old Gal]
                  http://www.prothman.org/marge
                • starnescr <starnescr@yahoo.com>
                  Message 8 of 10 , Feb 18 10:40 PM
                    Hi Marge

                    Shourlly yoy no I caint spel wurtha flip by now.

                    hammokers = hammockers

                    We sure wish you could come. You would keep us all straight I'm
                    sure.

                    Coy Boy

                    --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Marge Prothman" <marge@p...>
                    Message 9 of 10 , Feb 19 5:42 AM
                      Coy Boy,

                      I wouldn't expect any traffic problems around Atlanta on saturday
                      morning, but you never know for sure until you have made it through.

                      From I-75 and I-285 north of Atlanta to I-85 and I-285 northeast of
                      Atlanta, it is about 15 minutes via I-285 if you take I-285 east
                      (clockwise). The signs are sometimes confusing, the way you want to
                      go may say to Greenville and the otherway may say to Birmingham. The
                      otherway (counterclockwise) will take about an hour as I-285 forms a
                      big loop around Atlanta.

                      From I-20 and I-285 west of Atlanta to I-85 and I-285 northeast of
                      Atlanta is about 30 minutes and it shouldn't matter if you stay on I-
                      20 until it connects with I-85 in downtown Atlanta or you use I-285
                      to connect. If you use I-285 to connect, the first exit at the I-20
                      and I-285 interchange may say to Airport, you don't want to take that
                      one. The second one is the one that you want and I think it says to
                      Chattanooga.

                      If you are familar with the roads around Atlanta, I apologize for all
                      this drival, if not, pay attention because the signage still gives me
                      trouble and I have lived here a long time.

                      Youngblood

                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 19 7:56 AM
                        Thanks David

                        I'm not at all familiar with Atl. Never been to the otherside (old
                        Doors song about drugs) Always stoped at six flags and that has been
                        several years ago. All the advive is appreciated and needed.