Re: [Hammock Camping] Bug shirt for hammock

  • jonas4321@juno.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 6, 2004
      DebW-

      Thanks for the pics. I have been contemplating bug nets for my
      ZHammock-style hammocks, and you are halfway to what I was considering. I
      am not interested in saving weight at this time, I can always change
      tactics if I ever do become weight conscious. I want complete coverage,
      top and bottom. I'd like to avoid Permethrin on the hammock fabric if
      possible (never liked putting chemicals so close to my skin for prolonged
      periods, no matter what the absorption tests claim).

      I was wondering if anyone had thought of/tried this and if anyone senses
      obstacles.

      I am thinking of making a long "tube" of noseeum, made out of 10' of 117"
      wide mesh (from mosquitonetting.com). Sew the long edges together into a
      58" "wide" tube that would be slid over the hammock before it is hung. A
      cord tied between the hanging straps (and inside the tube) would provide
      a ridgeline to hold the mesh up over the hammock.

      At each end of the mesh tube, sew a channel for a drawstring (probably
      not elastic) so that the openings in the "tube" could be closed. Start
      out with the foot end of the tube drawn closed, then slide the open end
      up over me once I was in the hammock, then draw it closed, too.

      Does your elastic drawcord work well with the bug net material? Is there
      a need to reinforce the openings where the cord exits the channel (like a
      buttonhole)?

      Thanks again for the pics- they really helped me visualize my ideas.

      On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 02:26:47 -0000 "Debra Weisenstein" <dweisens@...>
      writes:
      > Hello all. Just posted some pictures of my current hammock bug net
      > design under "DebW's Photos" on this list. I discussed this a few
      > months ago but finally got some pictures of myself in it. This is
      > tube of netting that slides over the top half of the hammock.
      > Velco
      > seal around the hammock strap and a short velco section to allow
      > the
      > ridgeline to pass out. Elastic drawcord around the waist to seal
      > around the middle of the hammock.

      Get your name as your email address.
    • Debra Weisenstein
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 6, 2004
        Jonas, I did not reinforce the drawtube opening. I originally
        intended to fold a small hem at the opening, but due to a sewing error
        ended up just punching a hold in the netting for the drawcord. No
        problems yet. Your idea for a 10 foot tube seems reasonable, but I
        suspect that a drawcord around the hammock ends may leave enough of a
        hole to admit a few bugs. Not sure about this - let us know when you
        try it. I made mine tapered at the end and sealed it with velcro. I
        use an elastic drawcord for a better seal around a sleeping bag and so
        that I can pull it up and down without moving the drawstring. I think
        non-elastic cord would be better in your case. I would also be
        concerned about reaching the hammock end from inside the hammock to
        seal the 2nd end of the tube, but maybe you're a better gymnast than
        I. Good luck with the project.

        DebW