Bug shirt for hammock

  • Debra Weisenstein
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 5, 2004
      Hello all. Just posted some pictures of my current hammock bug net
      design under "DebW's Photos" on this list. I discussed this a few
      months ago but finally got some pictures of myself in it. This is a
      tube of netting that slides over the top half of the hammock. Velco
      seal around the hammock strap and a short velco section to allow the
      ridgeline to pass out. Elastic drawcord around the waist to seal
      around the middle of the hammock. I use it with a light polyester bag
      around the hammock which also has an elastic drawcord and pulls up
      from the other end. Bag and pad inside the hammock optional depending
      on temperature. I slept like a baby hanging in the Berkshires last night.

      DebW
    • Ray Garlington
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 7, 2004
        Debra,
        I really like your bug shirt idea.

        I also think the kinks in the bug tube idea could be worked out, and
        would work well for hot weather. If you installed the bug tube like
        hammock pants, and had a drawstring for the headend, you could pull
        them up and over your head, then pull the drawstring closed. You
        could then push a "bug gasket" up into the head end to seal
        whatever hole was left.

        I know its just me, but I really like the idea of the GI shell slung
        under the hammock. That combined with a bug tube might be a good
        combination for various conditions (at a slight weight penalty).
        Bug tube pants (bug overalls?) could be installed and ready to go,
        and pulled up and over when necessary. The bug gasket could be
        stored in the shell.
        Ray

        p.s. I thought about making a solid shell bottom with a net top, but
        ended up thinking that you would need a zipper in the netting near
        the middle. With the zipper, construction would be a little harder,
        and entry a little less convenient.

        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "Debra Weisenstein"
      • ra1@imrisk.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 7, 2004
          As for closing the end... pulling the hammock tube down an inch or two over the
          end of the netting is a great way to seal the end.

          Risk

        • jonas4321@juno.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 7, 2004
            Risk, how do you do that from inside the bugnet tube? That is one of the
            dilemmas I am facing with my concept of a drawstring on both ends. I can
            see pulling the tube over the foot end after it is drawn tight, but the
            head end, I'd be drawing tight from inside. How sealed does this need to
            be? I know you have had your bugnets draped over the sides of your
            hammocks, does this provide enough closure to keep the little buggers
            from finding their way in along the sides?

            On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 12:21:01 -0400 ra1@... writes:
            > As for closing the end... pulling the hammock tube down an inch or
            > two over the
            > end of the netting is a great way to seal the end.

            Get your name as your email address.
          • ra1@imrisk.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 7, 2004
              Quoting jonas4321@...:

              > Risk, how do you do that from inside the bugnet tube?

              Having not tried it, I can say that I believe it would be easy enough to simply
              pinch the bugnet between thumb and finger, and grab the edge of the hammock
              tube. I have a tendency to think of the bugnet as a flat plane instead of piece
              of cloth - lots of ideas come to mind when I remember that I am not limited to
              geometrical planes and solids.

              Or I could attach a little string to the edge of the hammock tube and pull it
              down - grabbing it through the bugnet.

              Or I could attach a small string to the edge of the hammock tube and have that
              string go through a button hole, or a hem-like tube about two or three inches
              long in the bugnet.

              Or ...

              Several other ideas come to mind, but all are more complicated than the first one.

              That is one of the
              > dilemmas I am facing with my concept of a drawstring on both ends. I can
              > see pulling the tube over the foot end after it is drawn tight, but the
              > head end, I'd be drawing tight from inside. How sealed does this need to
              > be? I know you have had your bugnets draped over the sides of your
              > hammocks, does this provide enough closure to keep the little buggers
              > from finding their way in along the sides?

              So far, plenty for mosquitoes and noseeums. I have not had the privledge of
              hosting northern black flies at my campsite.

              Risk