Where does your hammock fail?

  • docteric
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 31, 2004
      I've been doing a few experiements with different knots to tie the
      hanging lines to the hammock fabric. I've been using weak fabric to
      to see which knots rip the fabric more.

      An interesting finding was that whenever the hammock failed - it was
      always just below the knot. What have other people's experiences
      been? I'm wondering if that is the weak spot, maybe we could
      reinforce it with a double layer (like the stress points on a tarp)
      and then use a lighter fabric (like 1.1).

      What do you folks with more experience than me (that means almost
      all of you) think?
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2004
        --- In hammockcamping@yahoogroups.com, "docteric" <docteric@y...>
        wrote:
        > I've been doing a few experiements with different knots to tie the
        > hanging lines to the hammock fabric. I've been using weak fabric to
        > to see which knots rip the fabric more.
        >
        > An interesting finding was that whenever the hammock failed - it
        was
        > always just below the knot. What have other people's experiences
        > been? I'm wondering if that is the weak spot, maybe we could
        > reinforce it with a double layer (like the stress points on a tarp)
        > and then use a lighter fabric (like 1.1).
        >
        > What do you folks with more experience than me (that means almost
        > all of you) think?

        I have been using three half-hitches as a constrictor knot to attach
        rope to my hammocks for about 1.5 years and have not noticed any
        failure. I used 0.25" hollow braid polypropylene rope attached to a
        two-layer hammock of two pieces of 1.1 oz rip-stop nylon for most of
        that time. (As a side note about durability and what worked and what
        didn't; I used #16 snap fasteners reinforced with 1" squares of
        Bondex pressure sensitive nylon to attach the two edges of the 1.1 oz
        rip-stop nylon and never had a failure with that either. I used 6
        equally spaced snaps on each side and I used red squares on one side
        of the hammock and blue squares on the other side to easily identify
        what was what. I was pleased with how this scheme worked.)

        I would suspect that the kind of rope that you use would also effect
        failures. Smaller diameter rope with abrasive surface would figure
        to do the most damage. Attachment knots that slip or slide would
        also figure to contribute to fabric failure.

        Since I have not noticed any failure or heard of others experiencing
        failures, I am not to worried about the fabric at this point. I do,
        however, keep my eye on the rope I use because I am concerned about
        its long term durability. However, don't get me wrong, I am glad to
        see someone working on that issue and am interested in whatever you
        uncover.

        Youngblood