[Hammock Camping] Re: AT Section Hike - Risk

  • dlfrost_1
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 28, 2004
      > The Smoky Mountains have some strange restrictions that are not
      present
      > anywhere else on the trail. If not in the middle of a thru-hike,
      each
      > camping spot must be reserved ahead and the registration carried
      with
      > the hiker. It is free, but still a hassle. In addition, normally
      the
      > hiker is not allowed to camp outside the shelter if the camping
      spot is
      > a shelter. Along the AT, there are almost no stopping spots that
      are
      > not shelters.
      >
      > So, long story, is that I had to stay at and in the shelter the
      first
      > three nights.
      >
      > As for the boots... The right one gave me no problem. I will have
      > let my left heel heal up before I know if the left one can be used
      by me.

      > Risk

      My sympathies on both the boots and the shelters. I did a two day
      loop trip from Elkmont (Smokies) to Silers Bald Shelter and back to
      test some new boots. Although they didn't beat the bottoms of my
      feet into junk like the last pair, they went to town on my toes. (I
      might be able to correct the problem.)

      As for the shelters: Ye gods I'm not doing that again. I'll be
      camping in the trees somewhere nearby where I can have access to the
      spring, privy and cable hang, but not have to suffer the miseries of
      the ground-dwellers. Hammock camping has spoilt me with comfort.

      (AT Note: There's a great hammocking spot just a few feet west of
      the Double Springs Gap shelter, located in small grove of hemlocks.
      The flat space adjacent to the trail probably attracts tent campers,
      but if you go downhill to the south out of sight there are more
      hemlocks on the slope.)

      Doug Frost
    • zippydooda
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 30, 2004
        Okay, that is about what I had figured. Interesting. Thanks.

        Bill in Houston